A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a garment with cut-outs?  (Read 525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

runthestreetz
« on: August 30, 2010 09:08:36 AM »

HELP! I want to draft a pattern with circular cut outs mainly round the stomach/sides area but im unsure what the rules are when adapting a pattern for this?

* Can i do this in non-stretch fabric?
* Do i have to bias the cut out edges
* Do i have to add extra darts to prevent gaps
* Do i remove basic darts to form the cut out sections?
* Do i have to cut out the fabric on bias

Sorry am highly confused and wanted any advice before beginning this project.

Thankyou all x x x
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010 09:10:07 AM by runthestreetz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

] LIFE [  is like a ((DICK))
When it getS [[HarD]]
................... ................... .FUCK iT !!!
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010 10:53:03 AM »

I don't know if anyone has experience with this, but I would say that generally people don't and so the best way to answer your questions is to do a test and see what happens.
If you want to do it in not a stretch you will probably have to do something to keep the edges from fraying. What do you mean bias out the edges?
If you want a slit it can be on the bias, if you want a hole then some if it will be on the bias and some of it wont. Do I understand what you are saying?
I think it depends on your fabric, your shapes and where you have places them, how the holes will act and if you need more shaping darts to control the fabric.
What do you mean remove darts? If you want it form fitting (are starting with a darted bodice) I think you would construct the bodice then make the cut outs. So the darts are there where the fabric is, but gone in the hole. Again, if I understand and if I am making sense. I actually have no idea how this would work, just educated guesses.
I don't know about cutting the fabric on the bias, again I would answer your questions by doing some tests to see what works the best. You have all the questions and the ability to answer them, it will just take you some work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010 08:53:58 AM »

I would interface the fabric after you've sewn it into the bodice shape, Use an iron on interfacing for stability. That will help prevent it stretching out and some fraying.
You then will either need to Staystich around the edges of the Holes after cutting them out, (This whould help them stay in place and not fray too much)
Or  hem them or make/buy bias tape and edge the holes so they are finished.
I think in your situation the easiest thing to do would be either interface and cut or interface, and make a second bodice out of a lining material(thin cotton or something like that) and then cut your holes out and stitch the two together and flip right side out for finished edges. That would be what I'd do. Either that or I'd use bias tape becasue I'm in love with it right now. lol

Oh if you are making a dress out of a t-shirt like material just cut the holes but make them smaller and don't stretch it as you cut. they'll stretch on their own and you can buy knit interfacing to stabilize as well. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010 08:55:00 AM by Eliea » THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarlaAdora
half jill / half jack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010 06:11:21 AM »

she shows how to do circular cut outs in this video: http://www.threadbanger.com/tb-projects/episode/THR_20090130/how-to-make-a-dress-out-of-old-sweatshirts-with-rebecca-turbow-threadbanger

i applied the method to a non stretch fabric as well, works great...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

be afraid of the lame, they'll inherit your legs...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear Marchesa On Your Nails
Tips On How To Hide Puffy Eyes
Dating Advice from Tyler Blackburn
Try Colored Eye Liner for Back-To-School!
The Prettiest, Two-Product Makeup Look!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...