A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Life-size six-foot-tall mannequin/doll  (Read 1425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2010 08:15:43 AM »

This is one of my slightly older projects, which was made as a Christmas present for a relative of mine who collects costumes and is forever running out of mannequins on which to display them.

This is the only picture I have of him. It was taken on Christmas Eve, which is why he has a paper hat on his head and a Christmas cracker in one hand. It's not really visible in the photograph, but he actually does have a proper nose.

He's six feet tall, and was actually mostly made a couple of days before Christmas Eve. I was able to work on the head and limbs a month or two in advance, but I had to keep hiding them all over the place so that the recipient wouldn't be able to see them when they dropped in to say "Hi" - I found this quite humourous. However, making and stuffing the torso, as well as the final construction, had to be done at the very last minute to prevent the surprise from being ruined - it was very tiring, and quite tricky because the mannequin is taller than I am! Thankfully, two days before Christmas Eve, he was completed and dressed.

His body, leg, arm, and hand patterns were created by drawing around my father on a couple of giant pieces of paper. The mannequin's hands look a teeny bit odd because my dad put his fingers in some weird pose for some strange reason. Tongue The arms were attached using large safety joints, for ease of construction as well as the fact that it allows them to move, and the feet are roughly based on the technique used for the feet on Runo's Big Girl Doll. The head is an enlarged and slightly modified version of the head from Runo's Tall Boy Doll pattern - I originally did this modification to the pattern when I was working on Forte, although of course, Forte is less than six feet tall! The mannequin's glasses were a souvenir from a trip to see a 3D movie - these were added to give him some semblance of a facial feature for Christmas Day, since his face was deliberately left blank so as not to interfere with the display when he's used for his intended purpose, which is showcasing screen-used movie costumes and associated props. The outfit and bag that he's wearing in the photograph were store-bought, and these were also part of the gift.

I'm not sure if I'll make any more life-sized dolls anytime soon, but I'm glad that I can say that I've made one. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010 08:20:02 AM by Mega Crafter - Reason: Reformatted some sentences for easier reading » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fledgling
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010 09:01:53 AM »

What a cool experience! I love the idea of you hiding mannequin parts all over, LOL! He must have been a ton of work. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gotgrey
You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010 02:04:09 PM »

Maybe he could ride along in the car pool lane?  Grin  Or he can come to my house, and sit in my chair in my sewing room. My sewing room is the 1st room in the house, and it faces the front.  It would look as though somebody was always home.  Grin  Or rent him out as a date?  Grin  Awesome job!  E.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010 07:19:37 AM »

good greif!
How enormous!
I love the car pool lane idea , hehe.
Fantastic!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Heart Necklace
About the Expert: Courtney Gray
Handmade Portraits: Brooklyn Watches
How to Turn Old Watch Faces Into a Bracelet
How to Make Beaded Wrap Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...