A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
328 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I don't want to kill the cat...  (Read 888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lozzieozzie

CAUTION!! Crazy cat lady approaching!!

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2010 07:18:01 AM »

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on the b&b section for a while now, and I've found some lovely soap recipes I want to try out - soap making is going to be a New Years resolution, as you've all inspired me so much!  Grin

Question is, am I going to kill my beloved cat (and housemate, oh, and me!)? We live in a tiny tiny tiny English farmhands cottage, with no ventilation, the kitchen is in the living room, and we can't open any of the (tiny) windows more than an inch.

Obviously, soap making is not something I could do hiding in the bathroom, and I'm desperate to try it out, but I've read about fumes and stuff.

Thing is, I love trying new things, but not at the risk of our lives (with possible exception of my cooking lol!)

Is it a good idea, or do I have to resign myself to only being able to make soap when I'm rich and can move to a house with the kitchen in it's very own room?

I'd love to know your opinions, whether there's different methods that are OK to try, etc.

Thankies so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest
Rowan Atkinson
monnie31
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010 09:01:57 AM »

I live in a tiny house too, I mix my lye on the front step, the smell don't notice outside
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010 02:10:18 PM »

I second monnie here--is it possible for you to mix your lye outside?  Other people should step in & shout at me if I'm wrong, but I feel like the bulk of the lye fumes are going to be released when you're mixing your lye and water.  As you don't need a stove for this part, it's pretty easy (and kindest to your cat) to take the bowl to your stoop or yard.

If you decide that from-scratch soap isn't going to happen in your itty bitty cottage (which sounds lovely, by the way!), you could look into hand milling.  You get the fun of customizing and amping up the luxuriousness of soap without having to do the cat-killing lye bit.  Some folks find M&P rewarding too--it's not as "from scratch," but you can do cool things with it, and it might scratch your crafty itch until you get a bigger house.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010 02:38:41 PM »

I actually don't recommend mixing the lye outside, to me that's just more dangerous to walk around with the lye. But, if you have to be extra careful! Stick the cat in another room and it'll be fine.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010 02:39:39 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010 08:34:27 AM »

I agree with MareMare, walking around with lye solution is NOT a good idea.

To reduce the amount of fumes the lye solution will give off, use ice cubes as part or all of your liquid.  When the lye solution doesn't heat up, less fumes are given off.

Also, don't stick your head directly above your lye solution container OR above your soap pot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
monnie31
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010 12:03:30 PM »

My stuff is outside, I mix it there, I only and I then take the oil out there and combine them there too, it's like on a ledge on the front deck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lozzieozzie

CAUTION!! Crazy cat lady approaching!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010 10:17:28 AM »

thank you everybody!!
I've been 'banned' by my housemate (don't worry, I'm working on it!) by making soap and I think I've killed bath bombs off too (was looking up bath bombs on the internet, and I was STUPID enough to say 'ha ha!! Did you know you use citric acid for REAL bombs too? I only wanna make bath bombs!')

Yep - it's my own stupid fault, I know. But your advice is really helpful, and when she's forgotten all about it, I'll try again!!

Thankies!!
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest
Rowan Atkinson
tomico
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010 03:11:30 PM »

It seems to me that soap making was traditionally done outside in huge pots over fires. Maybe you cold do the whole thing outside I'm not sure if they have them in England but in the US we have turkey fryers that have huge pots and a propane burner. Most people like to deep fry turkeys outside rather than in the kitchen. My husband and I use ours to make mead at friends houses or on camping trips. I would think these would be good for soap making so long as the pot is stainless steel. Good luck on your adventures.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pretty Savvy: Vacation Memory Cuff
How to Repurpose Tin Cans
How to Create a Chinese Staircase-Patterned Friendship Bracelet
How to Make a Heart Duct Tape Coin Purse
How to Make a Duct Tape Passport Lanyard
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...