A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone have any family/friends/SOs who complain about their swapping?  (Read 7521 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010 08:10:12 AM »

I SAW that and I WANT that too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010 07:03:05 PM »

Aw, thank you!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010 12:12:21 AM »

Only complaint I've gotten was from my partner, and that was cos one of the swaps I did I didn't ask for lollies or anything edible. He didn't quite see the point of my doing a swap if I (read he) wasn't going to get lollies out of it lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

~*~*Come and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010 04:54:09 AM »

In my case, I live still at my paretns home since I'm still studying and my part time job doesn't give much money.. so.. my boyfriend thinks swaps are fun, but at time he too comes out with the idea, why I don't sell them (since some swaps I made in the past were like... I made a lot and put effort in it and in exchange recieved like.. not much xD) so he complaints that often the exchanges aren't at al equally..
Instead, my parent were happy in the beginning, cause it was new and recieving packages was fun, and so on... but then... my mother began complaining about the cost of the deliveries, and since a few months she's asking me not to swap, that often the things swapped are less costy than the delivery itself...

I'm 25 years old so she doesn't really prohibits me to do stuff, it's just that at times she isnt convinced to give out so much money on a delivery. Her opinion is 'giving out candies or things she (the other part) has already there or the she herself can make, is stupid'...

So in the last time I'm trying to swap with people that WANT thing I do or can produce, in exchange of thing that I'd really like to HAVE from them..

Don't know if I give the idea of what I mean (and sorry here for my bad english ^^; )...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mod35tBabe
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010 05:51:02 AM »

I get what you mean Lunaholic - I always try to make as much of the parcels out of 2nd hand gear as I can, I only send under 500g (adds to the challenge!) and if I send lollies that my partner may not be able to get I send a sample amount, rather than the whole bag. That way my partner gets some goodies, but it doesnt cost me a bundle to post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please',I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'.
41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010 06:07:09 AM »

Look I do like that too... Also sometimes I maybe leaving out the surprise, but, if my partner doesn't especifically say what she wants, I show some parts of what I'm doing to be sure she will be really happy to get the item..
While sending candies and such, I try to send only stuff she doesn't have there (not like kitkat for example that is buyable almost everywhere) or tea's which brand is not found there or... stuff like that.

I too try not to get over a weight limit, since Spanish post is costy XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karenvanover
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010 07:37:36 AM »

I'm a newbie here and haven't participated in any swaps yet, but I'm hoping to soon. My DH is a maker too so out of ALL the hobbies I have, he appreciates crafting/sewing the most. It's also saved him a lot of money over the years so I guess that helps him deal :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010 03:19:19 AM »

My kids often complain that I give away stuff they want to keep, and also they want to be able to make cool things too but don't have the patience for big projects... they got things out of swaps as well, so they are okay with it. The first time when a swap package was just for me, there were tears, but after that, they got it Grin They're always checking in on my progress and comment on the pieces I make, so it's really nice.
The one who complains about my shipping costs is the lady at the post office! Grin Grin She just can't understand how I can spend so much money on international shipping. I told her that I don't think I spend more on it than others do on fashion and hair salon, or tobacco, or other hobbies. She's really nice, and always asks about new swap projects when she sees me, she just doesn't get over the international shipping Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
strwberesh0rtcke
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010 08:19:48 AM »

So, I just recently moved to a new city, and I am living with a guy I met on craigslist (haha sounds so sketchy). It actually turned out that he's an awesome dude and a great roommate whom I definitely enjoy hanging out with, but I feel so awkward crafting around him. He only works on the weekends, and is home pretty much all the time during the week (we both just moved to the area, so neither of us really knows anyone yet or has much going on). And my bedroom is attached to the living room, so I can't just go in my room and close the door, while he's hanging out in the living room (which is always, except when we're sleeping). I feel sooo behind in my swaps just because the only time I've been working on stuff is while he is at work on the weekends, but I also feel like I have numerous other things I need to be doing during that time, as I work all week. I've always been so embarrassed to show off my creations, but especially so with a new guy that I barely know. Has anyone ever had this problem of explaining what swaps are, or crafting in front of other people, maybe with college roommates, friends or housemates; or am I just being ridiculously self conscious? Phew, sorry for the essay, I'm just sort of frustrated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I REALLY want some funny hoop-framed embroidery! Wanna do a personal swap?
Mod35tBabe
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010 05:04:27 PM »

I'm still nervous showing my partner things I've made - and I was really nervous showing him the stuff I first made and we'd been together more than a year. I think if you're good enough to do swaps, just say to him you do crafts and just see what he says. If he's as awesome as you say, he might just be interested in what you can do and heck, you never know, he could have ideas for something you're stuck on. He could turn out to be really supportive and helpful, but you won't know til you try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

41 SWAPS COMPLETE
2 IN PROCESS

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - Pretty in Pink
Vintage Bowles - The 1980s Auction at Drouot in Paris
Jeanius - Florence Kane Fashion Tips
Blake Lively Perfects Printed Pants in Paris!
5 Ways To Wear a Cape
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...