A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: flourless chocolate cakey goodness for the people, now with photos  (Read 813 times)
Tags for this thread: flourless , chocolate , cake , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyclamen
« on: May 17, 2005 03:03:07 PM »

So, I decided to bake a flourless chocolate cake, only I didn't have all these things the recipes called for, so I deviated in the following manner:

I carefully melted 18oz (by wt) of semisweet chocolate chips with one cup of salted butter in a pan.  I added about one or two tablespoons of unsweetened baking cocoa powder because the semisweet chips are too sweet for my liking.  I also added a teaspoon each of cinnamon and cardamom.  Then I poured the melted chocolate/spice mixture into a bowl and beat in six eggs, one at a time.  I used a fork for this because I do not have a whisk or electric mixer.

Then I poured the batter into a pan which had been greased with butter and sprinkled with cocoa powder.  I put the pan into a boiling water bath and set the whole thing in the oven which had been preheated to 300F.  Then I let it bake for forty minutes.  It got quite jiggly when I touched it.  Jiggle jiggle.

Right now it is sitting on my counter cooling, but I sort of wobbled off a piece of the edge and it's quite tasty!  I think I am going to chill it and serve it with a nice raspberry jam sauce.

You can't really tell but it isn't jiggly at all anymore, and I never would have guess it was made without flour.  Anyhow, I spread raspberry jam over the top of the cake, then coated it in ganache.  Ganache was made from the remaining cup of chips and some heavy cream.  (Total chocolate tally, two 12 oz bags - $5.00.)  I have no idea how ryan and I will be able to eat all this chocolate.  I guess we will have to give some away to the neighbors.

Other things: I used toll house chocolate chips which isn't the best chocolate in the world (imo - too harsh), so I think I would like to make this out of a really nice chocolate next time, especially the ganache, since ninety percent of the ingredients were chocolate.  At least in the cake, the eggs and butter take the edge off, but with the ganache it's just, whoa, chocolate chips.  Also I would like to be able to garnish it with fresh raspberries and leaves, I think that would be pretty.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2005 04:22:07 PM by cyclamen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005 06:49:32 AM »

That looks really delicious! I think that adding some fresh fruit to that would help tone the serious overdose of chocolate down a little bit. I love chocolate too, but I know my limits and that cake sits comfortably on the other side of that line. Let me know how the texture turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyclamen
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005 09:10:36 AM »

The texture is perfect - it's nice and cakey warm, and dense and buttery when chilled.  I think that the ganache definitely makes it a chocolate overdose - but if I was making this for a large dinner party I think it would be okay because then you would only serve each person a TINY sliver.  It would be good with ice cream or anything that could tone the chocolate down a little.

But the cake itself?  Is so so easy, I can't believe it worked.  I will never make chocolate cake with flour again.  Next time, I'm going to go for just a raspberry glaze or fresh sauce, no sugar, and I might think about serving it warm instead of cold.  I'm also thinking about making this cake but adding a 100% fruit jam to the batter - so a chocolate raspberry flourless cake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eating at a Japanese Family in Tokyo
Cucumber Raita Recipe
How to Make Vegetable Biryani
Homemade Won Ton Dumplings
How to Cook Sauteed Ginger Shrimp
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...