A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,032
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: armhole resize + dress alteration  (Read 2361 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rubyshineshoes
« on: August 29, 2010 01:06:09 PM »

If my mother has another casual summer dress, she doesn't wear it. Which is a shame, because this one is an ankle-length, shapeless thing. It has a crewneck with armholes that open down to mid-ribcage, so she has to wear a t-shirt under it.

I'd like to reduce the armholes and maybe convert it into a v-neck wrap dress, but I'm not sure how to do it. If I simply pinch the sides of the armholes together to make a reasonably sized opening, sewing straight down to the hem will make the dress too narrow to fit. The pockets are also quite large (probably extend to the hips) and I have no idea how to work around them.

Any suggestions?

Edit, with some thoughts:
From under armholes, cut across dress to create top and skirt. Make angled cut across neckline to create faux-wrap; fold hem and sew; top-stitch some trim to continue wrap illusion. Take in armholes as mentioned above. Open side of skirt and add trim to edges; overlap as in a real wrap dress; reattach top to skirt. Add sash belt, sleeves, etc. May need an elastic waist or zipper.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010 07:35:09 PM by rubyshineshoes » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkropers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010 03:09:15 PM »

Taking in those side seams with the faced armholes and pockets would give you very bulky seams as well as making the fit narrower.

I would put vertical darts on both front and back.

Have her put it on wrong side out, and pinch in at her narrowest part, slightly above the natural waist, and use safety pins to position that. You'll have two in the front and two in the back. When you achieve a flattering fit, lay the dress out on a flat surface and lightly pencil in your darts ending in a point under the bust, and ending in a point above the hips.  I have done this for myself. She will still need to use a tank top or a tee shirt.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010 06:38:30 PM »

This is just an idea, I've never done it, but you could take some matching fabric (like the color of the flowers for example) and sew pieces of it into the armholes so they look like she's wearing a tank top underneath without actually wearing one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010 08:10:16 PM »

If you want to change the neckline and it really is shapeless you could try to pull up the shoulders (to raise the armholes to the proper level) and make a new neckline. Although the pockets might end up in a funny place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Funeral for Blue Eye
Filming and Editing Tech Videos
Walter Mosley Talks Adapting Books to Films
That Awkward Moment Junket
The Nut Job
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...