A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
451 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I've got a tree growing in my foyer and it's UPDATED AGAIN!  (Read 26303 times)
Tags for this thread: tree , wall_art , craftster_best_of_2010  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

coloringmyworld

I want to be crafty forever!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2010 05:20:23 AM »

I'm sorry for the hundreds of photos! I realize I probably should have put them in the opposite order that I did so you wouldn't have to scroll through all of them to see the most recent picture posting.  Oh wells...

Here's the latest thing I've done to my home!
I was finally ready to beautify my bedroom, but then decided to vamp up my foyer. I decided that this is the first place and first impression of my home and why should it be blah? I want it make people feel happy and comfortable, instead of awkward. So I decided on a whim to buy some paint and have at it! Here's how it went:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Isn't it fun!!? I grew a tree in my hall!
I've been wanting for a long time to try starching fabric to a wall, but couldn't figure out what I wanted to do exactly....and then I thought A-Ha!!

So here's the tree before I starched the leaves on:

The idea is that since the tree is painted on, and the leaves are starched on and removable and re-usable, I will change my tree with the seasons! This winter I'll take these down and make it wintery with snow balls and such, maybe ornaments or something. In Spring I'll make it have little bright greet buds and pretty pink blossoms! This, clearly, is my Autumn tree. It's so close, that I am willing it here - I can feel it! The air has already been cooler! You all can thank me later Smiley

Since it's by my front door, I added some really cute hooks on the banister of the stairs right inside the doors for guests to hang their coats or purses. It used to be that they came in and it got a little awkward when they had to toss their coats on the rail, or on the floor of the steps. It is also a great place to keep your favorite barbie bag off the floor from your baby brother - in case you were wondering Wink

This is the view from the top of the stairs. (Notice that I ripped the chair railing out! It was pretty rewarding taking my little crow-bar and snapping off the planks Smiley Yeah, it was a gooood time. Now, there's nothing wrong with chair rails, they just don't fit into my taste - except my kitchen, presently - and it seemed a little silly in my hallway. Don't hate me because I hate chair rails! Ha!)

Here's some photos I took along the way Smiley
My future leaves

My starchoction (yes, I made that up) and leaves ready to be dunked, rung, and slapped on the wall

My stacks of leaves

So what do you think?? Let me know!  I'd love to hear from you!

Here's my winter update!!!  
I know a bunch of you thought I was crazy for doing it or didn't think I really would change with the seasons, and to be honest, I winced every time I ripped a leaf off of the wall!  I LOVED my fall tree!! But here's my winter snowball tree Smiley  I like it very much too Smiley

Can you see my very shiny silver fabric?!  It's so reflective, it's fantastic and perfect for this crazy tree Smiley
Do you think it needs more snowballs?  I can't decide...

A view from above:

There are three redbirds!  Here's a close up.  Sorry the picture isn't great.  

The verdict:  
This project is so much fun!  After I took the leaves off the original tree, there was little to no residue.  The only places that there was residue, was where I may have got the starch too thick or chunky and didn't realize it.  There was no fabric bleeding...I don't remember if I washed my fabrics first.  That's not something I typically do, so I probably didn't....but I may have. I didn't this time, so we'll see!! There were some fibers left on the wall from the edges of the leaves.  I just grabbed a damp sponge, wiped down the walls and when that dried there was NOTHING there!  It was the easiest, cleanest, and least stressful clean-up/redo of a room I've done.  I think everyone should do it!!

Let's BRING ON SPRING!!!

SUMMER LOVIN'
Whew!  Barely made it in time for this one!

Thanks for checking in!  One year's worth of season's COMPLETE!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011 11:24:29 AM by coloringmyworld » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Indiana
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010 05:42:29 AM »

That's awesome! It looks great. Good job.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
kcartwright856
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010 05:59:14 AM »

So beautiful and creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDiem
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010 06:03:13 AM »

Amazing!!!  I love it!  "this rocks"

I've been wanting to do something similar for my daughters room but I don't know that I could do the tree so well!  I think it's terrifically ambitious that you want to change the leaves for the seasons! 

Love it,
Emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010 06:03:35 AM »

I love this! It must be a really nice welcoming view for all your guests too. I always wanted to put a mural on my bedroom wall as a kid but being very indecisive I never settled on a specific design so I know where you're coming from with the hesitation about trying out your fabric starching idea. This was definitely a good choice and you've done such a great job: it's so flowing and organic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010 06:04:50 AM »

I somehow managed to miss that you were planning to switch the foliage over different seasons. That's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010 06:28:25 AM »

I love the idea of changing the leaves with the seasons. I can even picture a snowman sitting under the tree around christmas. How did you get the leaves to stick to the wall though?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010 06:34:50 AM »

this is so terrific!
I am so impressed!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010 06:36:15 AM »

Changing the leaves with the seasons is GENIUS, I love it! This is so neat! I wanted to try startching fabric to my dorm room walls but I was afraid it might leave some kind of residue, have you had any problems with that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coloringmyworld

I want to be crafty forever!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010 07:10:34 AM »

That's awesome! It looks great. Good job.  Grin

So beautiful and creative!

Thank you!!

Amazing!!!  I love it!  "this rocks"

I've been wanting to do something similar for my daughters room but I don't know that I could do the tree so well!  I think it's terrifically ambitious that you want to change the leaves for the seasons! 

Thanks! ~and~ I know!!  What am I thinking?!  Shocked

I love this! It must be a really nice welcoming view for all your guests too. I always wanted to put a mural on my bedroom wall as a kid but being very indecisive I never settled on a specific design so I know where you're coming from with the hesitation about trying out your fabric starching idea. This was definitely a good choice and you've done such a great job: it's so flowing and organic!

Thank you Smiley  You should try it now!

I love the idea of changing the leaves with the seasons. I can even picture a snowman sitting under the tree around christmas. How did you get the leaves to stick to the wall though?

Oh. My. Gosh. !!!!  How cute is that idea?!?!  I'm totally going to do a snowman!!! AaaaH!! I love it!!

this is so terrific!
I am so impressed!
S

Thank you  Cheesy

Changing the leaves with the seasons is GENIUS, I love it! This is so neat! I wanted to try startching fabric to my dorm room walls but I was afraid it might leave some kind of residue, have you had any problems with that?

Hey, thanks!! You should totally do it in your dorm room!  There is virtually NO residue!  If there is a little sheen at all, it simply wipes off with a damp rag!  It's the perfect solution for boring dorm room walls.  Now get over to the nearest fabric store and get started! Lol!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Protect And Youthen Your Skin
Three Tricks For Curling Your Lashes
Birchbox Shows You How to Avoid Sunburn
Miranda Mendoza: Copy the Cover Challenge
Megan Moore: Copy the Cover Challenge
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...