A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pansy dress  (Read 1478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« on: August 28, 2010 10:14:38 AM »

A long, long time ago, I bookmarked the dragon dress tutorial ( this one ). I finally got around to drafting it, but I could not get the front bodice to turn out right. Part of the problem is that I wanted to be able to wear the dress to church, and our church is pretty conservative. So I redesigned the top piece and after a trial in fabric, I came up with this:

The altered pattern piece looks like this (the top one is the original drafted piece, complete with altered drafting lines from messing it up a few times, and the bottom one is the actual shape of that I used):

It's probably the strangest pattern piece I've seen, but it fits pretty well. The folded parts are folded up because it turned out to be a better shape, by the way.

And here's the trial I made up first. I originally bought this to cut out the cats and make a blanket for my daughter's bed, but as time went on, and I didn't get it done, her tastes changed, and the fabric became an addition to the regular stash. I've actually worn this dress when I'm working with kids. It won't be a daily dress, but it fits better than some of my other dresses:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010 10:50:30 AM »

Very nice. I love the floral. Great alteration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010 10:56:51 AM »

I like it very much, and love the fabric.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010 11:10:56 AM »

Thanks!  I bought the pansy fabric when I got an end of the bolt discount, and never thought there would be enough to make something wearable (most patterns I've picked out call for 3-5 yards of fabric and I only had something like 2 or 2 1/2 yards of it).  I'm really glad I ran across the dragon dress tutorial! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010 05:05:46 PM »

Love it.... and now I'll have to add it to my to-make list. Once I get other stuff done.. Smiley And get some awesome fabric... love that purple!

Just one thing... I think we are kinda built the same around the top, lots of extra boobflesh, that is. I've noticed that if I make something or wear something with a flat top (the cleavage bit) that the top tend to mush and I overflow around the arms a wee bit. If I leave an extra bit of fabric around the top edge and pull the straps out a tiny bit more (almost at the edge of the collar bone; where a bra strap would sit) at the shoulder I don't have that issue. I hope that makes sense...

...actually this is part of the reason most of my fitted tops have cleavege showing... they gotta go somewhere...it's just easier to do! Lips sealed
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010 06:15:06 PM by katsrevenge - Reason: logics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
Muria
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010 06:03:47 PM »

I was actually going to loosen the straps up a bit because  it's up further than I wanted (the top bodice piece doesn't go down far enough, though it's hard to see in this picture). I suppose if I moved the straps out (like you're suggesting) instead, it might fix both problems at the same time.  Smiley  I was a bit dismayed when I put up the picture and saw that because I didn't notice it when I was wearing it, and no one around here bothered to tell me.  Roll Eyes 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
katsrevenge
dancing with the madmen

dancing with the madmen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010 06:13:54 PM »

It's a fix that works for me anyways.. figured I'd share it. I found it by trial and error and wish someone had just told me when I started to DIY clothing.

Ye gods.. I've got the other end of that problem... I get each mistake pointed out to me. I recently spent 3 days on a patchwork apron top to wear around the house. Put it on.. and all I heard was 'yeah.. I guess you could wear that inside only' with an odd expression.

I really do love that purple though. It does look like it would be lovely and cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
~Unknown

Wanna know, just ask.
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010 08:43:04 PM »

Nice dress, Muria! I only just got to look at it. If you want, you could curve down the top a bit under the arms, from the straps. Maybe move them 1/2" or so, but not too much. You could then give the front a very slight curve in the center. This can be done easily, without much extra work. Just find the center mark, and draw your line in with a marking tool. Dissappearing ink, chalk, even a light colored pencil. I hate graphite pencils, because they make everything dirty.
You may find this is really an easy adjustment, but it will give the dress a nice finish.
  I think you did a great job fitting it, which is the real challenge! Plus, I like Both the fabrics.
K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010 07:47:15 AM »

Purple was my favorite color  when I was a kid, and I love pansies! I spent several months trying to figure out something that would work with the fabric before I bought it. Finally, when it was clear there wasn't much left, I just bought the last piece. About 7 years ago.  Smiley  I was originally going to make a shirt out of it, but I like that I managed to get an entire outfit out of it.

That's funny about your critics, katsrevenge! I'm not sure if I'd be happier this way or your way. I tend to let my daughter know when something she made has potential problems, and I don't think she likes it any more than I like wandering around with the straps uneven.  Cheesy

I should point out that I think my daughter took this picture from about the least flattering angle possible, and the flash somehow filled in under the bust so that it looks like it goes straight down from the bust, which it doesn't.

Thanks for the tips, Karen.  I haven't decided how much more I want to play with it, but I'll keep those suggestions in mind if I do decide to make changes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wig Makeover With Sherri Shepherd
Hair Stylist for a Day Backstage at Thakoon Fall 2013 Runway Show
"Hair With Hollie": How to Create Big Cheryl Cole-Inspired Hair
How to Get a Straight-Off-the-Runway Hairstyle in 30 Seconds
Do You Shampoo Too Often?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...