I was in the butterfly swap recently, and had some butterfly fabric that I thought my partner would like, but I was having a hard time figuring out what to make with it. At one point, I'd decided to send it as an extra, but then I received, and felt that my package didn't measure up to what I'd received. After much thought, I decided to make her an insulated bag. I bought insul-brite a few years ago to make window treatments, but complications arose (mostly, my daughter's window was big, and I didn't have enough to even do two windows, so I had leftovers sitting in the basement. Any my daughter claims it didn't really help). So I kept it until later, when I made placemats, and put the insul-brite in them to protect the table from hot plates. Then I found out that with two small children, placemats are just going to get incredibly dirty at every meal, so they ended up being put away.
So, I decided to pull out the insulated lining from my placemats (fortunately, I'd been lazy and didn't sew the insulation to the outside fabric, so technically, the placemats are still mostly intact), and make a bag out of it:
The green fabric is from my stash (green is her favorite color), as is the handle. The inside fabric is the butterfly fabric (I'm fairly sure I made a pocket for the inside, but I have no idea if I kept it or sewed it shut at the end), and it velcros shut. Originally, it was going to be green on the outside with embroidery, and butterfly fabric on the inside, but when I put the top flap together, I put the insulation the wrong way (sewing it to the fabric this time, naturally), so in order to have all the insulation reflecting the same way (to keep heat/cold in), I either could re-sew the flap, or put the butterfly fabric on the outside. I think I like it better this way (especially since the embroidery wasn't working out either, so it would have been plain green on the outside if I hadn't flipped the top flap). By the way, it's slightly larger than an average brown paper lunch bag, maybe a little bigger than the average fabric lunch boxes that stores sell.
So, for a project with various issues made fairly late in the swap process, I think it turned out pretty well.