A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attaching bag handles to a bag with a band over the inner and outer seams? How?  (Read 833 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkadot
Funkdot Makes Loops

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2010 07:50:35 AM »

Hi All,

I am in the middle of sewing a bag which has (so far) a denim outer and cotton inner with zipped pocket. Both pieces dont have a seam at the top and are also pleated twice each side from the middle.

I want (hope) to sew a band round the top of both pieces (covering both raw top parts) but would also like to have a tiny 3-5mm piece poking out all round between the bag and band of the lining fabric to tie it all in.

My problem now is that I cant for the life of me figure out how to do that without have to sew through a ton of fabri needlessly and how to attach bag handles, what type and and at what stage?! My head is like fizz at the moment!!

If you can help me I would so much appreciate it. I've got this far and quite chuffed, even though some of the stitching might be a bit off lol

Here are some pics as I think i might be describing it poorly :0/

I'm really new to sewing so I apologise if Im asking really silly questions. Thanks very much for looking.

xx

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010 06:42:20 AM »

I would make the top band in two pieces (outside and inside) so you could sew the handles right into the top seam in the band; otherwise you'll have even more material to sew through trying to sew them on like patches over the outside of the bag.

You could sew a pink band all around the bag like you were going to sew the denim one; a foldover that covers the raw top. Then, fold it down and iron over the outside to make your sticking-out band (you might need a wider band than you originally planned to do this; then, take your demin band, with the handles sewn in, and sew the demin band to the extra pink park sticking out the top. Make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkadot
Funkdot Makes Loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010 07:19:59 AM »

Hi CraftyChef,

Thanks for replying Smiley

Yeah they both make sense, I'm still not very good at picturing how something goes together, especially inside out first!:)

I already finished the bag and you can see my attempt here

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=358167.0

Just like you mentioned there was a lot of fabric to sew through, I broke a needle and didnt half swear a lot  Embarrassed

I'm definitely going to be trying the same bag again but with the band I had wanted before instead of my make-do one. I was going to do it next but I'm in the middle of working up the courage to cut some fabric out just now for a purse ha! Not sure if thats a common thing or I'm just a big scaredy pants lol

Thank you so much!:)x

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010 05:09:03 AM »

The way I would do it is cut the top parts in half and sew the parts together separately on the front and back sides of the bag; then all you have to do is sew the side seams together. and you can sew the handles right into the top seam when you do the lining. I have a hard time being patient with experimentation when I want to possess a cool new bag! Aren't crafts supposed to relax you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkadot
Funkdot Makes Loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010 06:35:44 AM »

I was thinking that the other day, just splitting the the top band in two. It would have saved me a hell of a lot of trouble!
And yes, its supposed to be relaxing..lol I'll know better next time.

Thank you very much for replying :)x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: The Ides of March
50/50 Film Mixes Comedy With Cancer
Cosplay Trivia: Quizzing Catwoman
Cosplay Fans at Comic-Con 2011
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...