A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,564
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two Feathers, Little Sioux Indian Girl  (Read 7299 times)
Tags for this thread: art_doll , beading  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 27, 2010 02:31:13 PM »

I made this doll with help from a vintage doll book I got at a rummage sale. It is my donation for a charity auction for the art center in my town. I hope she raises a ton of money!
Here is a close up of her face. I embroidered the face and tinted it with chalk pastels. Her hair is an organic cotton yarn that is really soft. She has two feathers, (Duh  Cheesy) one from a blue jay the other from a black bird. You can also see her bird beaded dress. That beading almost killed me! I'm not a beader and have never done any large scale beading like this. I have some major new calluses on my hands from beading through the leather!

My Hubby helped me make a doll stand for her. He cut a slice from a log and drilled a hole while I bent a wire clothes hanger into doll stand shape and put it up her dress. You can't even see the wire so it looks like she is standing on her own on a wood base. Two Feather's dress is based on actual Sioux Indian costuming. The beading is also done in the traditional Sioux style and technique.

Here are her leather leggings with jingle cones. I made the cones from tin sheeting and attached them so they really do jingle.

The wee moccasins were probably the funnest part of the doll. Hand beaded and hand sewn together.

A shot of the back of her dress and hair.

I'm so happy with her, but she will be a OOAK as I'm never doing that much beading again! Cheesy
Thanks for looking! Comments appreciated.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010 02:52:46 PM »

She is incredible! The beadwork is so beautiful.  Love the chamois traditional dress and those jingling leggings.
I know how hard you worked on her, and you should be proud of the finished result.
Crossing my fingers that she brings in some big $$ at the auction!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
thequeenmel
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010 03:55:06 PM »

She's gorgeous!  Wonderful job. 
A bit of caution though - it's technically illegal to possess blue jay feathers due to the migratory bird act.  It's likely that blackbird feathers are also on the list.  Most native song birds are.  I know that there are exceptions for naturalists and Native American tribes so I don't know if that would help you or not. (http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=ecrc&topic=waf-ma)  There are some nasty fines.  It's probable that you won't get caught or fined, but I figured I'd let you know.  Artisans have to stick together!  I had some blue jay feathers and was thinking of using them on a doll but did some research and learned that it would be best not to, especially because I sell my creations. 

Best of luck with everything!

Peace
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010 06:17:08 PM »

Omg! she is amazing!
I can imagine your fingers after all that beading, but how beautiful is the result!
Oh how I adore the wee moccies,
Love love, love, Cheesy
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010 08:34:59 PM »

Beautiful. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010 11:06:41 AM »

She's gorgeous!  Wonderful job. 
A bit of caution though - it's technically illegal to possess blue jay feathers due to the migratory bird act.  It's likely that blackbird feathers are also on the list.  Most native song birds are.  I know that there are exceptions for naturalists and Native American tribes so I don't know if that would help you or not. (http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area=home&subject=ecrc&topic=waf-ma)  There are some nasty fines.  It's probable that you won't get caught or fined, but I figured I'd let you know.  Artisans have to stick together!  I had some blue jay feathers and was thinking of using them on a doll but did some research and learned that it would be best not to, especially because I sell my creations. 

Best of luck with everything!

Peace
Thank you for the info. I didn't know that. They were just found feathers in my back yard from around my bird feeder. I didn't harm any birds to get them.
Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fayeven

my hovercraft is full of eels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010 12:40:06 PM »

Shocked  wow... all of that beadwork..... on leather....   that's really wonderful!   also, kudos on making your own jingle cones!  she is very, very sweet  Smiley   ...and yes, i'm glad someone mentioned the possible issue with the feathers... i'd hate for you to get into trouble  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010 06:08:27 PM »

I think she's gorgeous!  You did a good job!  I don't have the patience to do such things.  Word of advice on the bird feathers, make sure you wash them.  Some birds carry lice.  My aunt knows all about that.  Some birds made their home in her attic, and infested the house w/their lice.  E.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thequeenmel
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010 12:24:35 PM »

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that you hurt any birds!  I didn't get that vibe from you.  Most people innocently find and pick feathers up from nature walks all the time.  I did until I found a hawk feather and went online to identify it.  Then I learned about the migratory bird act and decided to think twice about using them in my art!  Feathers from game birds, like turkeys, are legal to possess and sell so they are usable. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010 01:54:22 PM »

I'm sort of sad that the main focus of attention on this doll is the feathers. I worked so hard to make this doll and it seems the feathers have become the focus. I guess I can just remove them from the doll, but I think that is a big change to my art work. I guess next time I should research before I add things to my art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 8/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 4/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 3/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 2/9
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...