A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday-Aug 27, 2010  (Read 1758 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 27, 2010 10:54:46 AM »

I finally have an offering lol.

This is Yosemite Paradise, it's exmoor horn, rare breed sheep.  270 yards, lace weight.  All spindle spun and plied.

This is what the fiber looked like before spinning.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010 10:57:01 AM by Cheyenneswthrt07 - Reason: I forgot some vital stats lol » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:dollface:.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010 11:04:09 AM »

It's lovely!
I always find it so fascinating how the fiber before it's spun looks quite different than when it is yarn Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010 11:21:52 AM »

I completely agree.  It's taught me to keep an open mind about colors/combos and finished product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nikschaf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010 01:08:44 PM »

I've never heard of that breed before.  How was it to spin?  Is it soft?  The finished yarn turned out darker than I would have expected based on the roving.  Very pretty!

Mine's just a work in progress this week.  I was hoping to have it finished but didn't have much spinning time this week.  I call it "Tequila Sunrise."  It's Sheep Shed Studio mill end rovings which my son and I oven-dyed with wilton dyes and kool-aid.  It's VERY bright (much brighter than I would normally wear) so I'm not sure what I'll do with the finished yarn.  I'm planning to ply it with itself, but am still considering plying it with either a natural undyed yarn or maybe red sewing thread.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010 02:45:15 PM »

nikschaf- your oranges are very vibrant and pretty.  I asked the dyer about it, he said it's a breed that's in danger of extinction, only found on some island off of the coast of Britan. Here's wiki on it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exmoor_Horn_(sheep) As for how it spun, it was really easy and super soft, it spun thin for me.  I would definately buy more if it comes up again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Azzarath
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010 08:02:50 PM »

Bah. Could not get a colour-accurate photo of this one. It's soft browns and greens, but the camera decided to add more brown >< Do you guys have any tips on getting decent photos of yarn?

very very soft. Again with the extra brown though :/ it's a shade or two more yellow/cream irl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dwarf fort 'FUN'
nikschaf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010 08:40:48 PM »

Ooh, I love that second one, Azzarath!

For photos, I have the best luck photographing yarns outdoors in natural lights.  Seems like the indoor photos never show the true colors as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010 12:21:27 PM »

I went to an auction yesterday and as I was browsing I saw a boy pick up some carders and ask his gma what they were for. I think I freaked them out by running over, taking them from his hands, and explaining about wool and carding. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. They were cotton carders Sad. So that whole fleece that has been sitting cleaned in my garage for months now will have to stay uncarded/spun Sad and I won't be able to post on here for another while Sad

But yeah, holy cow (holy sheep? Cheesy) that Tequila Sunrise is magnificent!! Beautious! Love it!

And Azzarath, how many skeins are posted there? You seem to have... 3? With at least 2 different weights? Very nice. I would love it. and squish it. and hug it and squeeze it!! I love yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
Cheyenneswthrt07

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010 02:11:12 PM »

Jexxican, have you tried dog combs?  I seen people talk about using them on the Rav spinning boards, not a good as real combs but get the job done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Azzarath
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010 07:25:01 AM »

nikschaf- the two green ones are pretty close to each other, theres a mini-skein of it too (not pictured). The squidgy brown- only the one pictured there from memory.

The green is actually quite fine- probably a thin fingering?  The brown i have no idea of but its considerably chunkier (and softer!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dwarf fort 'FUN'
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Product Shot Tutorial
Adding a Watermark in Photoshop
Non Destructive Dodging and Burning in Photoshop
How to Create HDR Images in Photoshop
How to Change Eye Color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...