A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A simple focaccia with zucchini, cheese and bacon  (Read 3001 times)
Tags for this thread: foccaccia , zucchini  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: August 27, 2010 07:17:59 AM »

It looks good like this...

but even better after baking!

Even if I am Italian, I believe I escape some stereotypes and I actually eat pizza & pasta very rarely... and when I do, I prefer to make it myself instead of going to eat out (or ordering in)... well, that applies to most things with me, if I can make it, why pay someone to do it for me? Plus, I can make it exactly how I like it...

This focaccia is an example > I am not awfully fond of tomato sauces/bases, so I tend to prefer white pizzas & focaccia to the more widespread tomato based ones.

The base of the focaccia is a frozen one, so the "recipe" refers only to the "seasoning" ... which makes preparation very fast! While the oven heats up, I slice a couple of zucchinis in long stripes with a potato peeler, and then place those on the focaccia base (which I've seasoned with a thins drizzle of olive oil, salt and garlic powder) in a criss-crossed pattern. On top of this layer of zucchini I sprinkle some parmesan and some little tiny bits of bacon... and then proceed with a second layer of raw zucchini.
Then comes a layer of sliced fresh mozzarella (not those fake mozzarella processed stuff that gives out a lot less water, but taste a LOT different!), a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and it's ready to go in a very hot oven, until it's all melted, golden and bubbly... it's very simple but really yummy!

I hope someone tries it, I'd love some feedback!

More pics and an awful google-translation on my Italian blog:
http://lacucinadelgattobianco.blogspot.com/2010/08/zucchine-pancetta-e-formaggio-per-una.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010 07:27:18 AM »

I have 2 zuchinni's in my freezer.  and I'm going shopping tommorow and need mozza... I may just force my family to eat this for supper tommorow.... I'll probably make my focaccia though... Do you suppose I can layer the toppings on before I bake the focacia?  Or would it just end up weird?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alhrayth
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010 07:38:45 AM »

hmmmm let me think... I suppose it depends if you're making a thin or a thick crust... Because for a thin base, like in this photo I googled http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w44aDfYZRss/SWxzfn-qdtI/AAAAAAAAB0g/jRgohlTZgO0/s400/b.jpg, I would put the toppings on the raw base and put it all together in the oven. But for a thicker base like the one I was using, I would give a bit of baking time to the base alone and then add the toppings, for fear of the center not being fully cooked. My base was pre-baked, so I added the topping and put it in the oven, but the only things that needed cooking actually were the zucchini & cheese, so that was enough. I hope my answer makes sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010 07:48:59 AM »

I just bit my computer screen!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Ffrogg526

Stitches in the Musical Weave

I can do that... I think.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010 08:42:47 AM »

That looks soooooooo yummy!  I may have to stop by Fresh Market and get some focaccia.  I love pizza, any and all varieties.  But I rarely experiement with making my own.  That makes me want to try it!  It seems so easy!  And looks so yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010 12:29:10 PM »

This looks delish! I just featured this post on Craftster's Facebook page. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
alhrayth
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010 12:43:41 PM »

This looks delish! I just featured this post on Craftster's Facebook page. Thanks for sharing!  Smiley

Shocked woooooow thank you!!! I'm honoured! Smiley Wink this totally made my day!  (and of course I'll be sharing the link because I'm waaaaaay to excited about it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
His_Girl
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010 01:42:22 PM »

well I know what I'm making for the pot luck next weekend. This looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010 02:20:59 PM »

hmmmm let me think... I suppose it depends if you're making a thin or a thick crust... Because for a thin base, like in this photo I googled http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_w44aDfYZRss/SWxzfn-qdtI/AAAAAAAAB0g/jRgohlTZgO0/s400/b.jpg, I would put the toppings on the raw base and put it all together in the oven. But for a thicker base like the one I was using, I would give a bit of baking time to the base alone and then add the toppings, for fear of the center not being fully cooked. My base was pre-baked, so I added the topping and put it in the oven, but the only things that needed cooking actually were the zucchini & cheese, so that was enough. I hope my answer makes sense!

This does make sense!  thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

illunamoth
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010 01:33:45 PM »

I looked at the first picture and I got hungry. Then I looked at the second one and I am drooling uncontrollably XD Looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Finished Pieces from the Kiln
How to Throw a Small Bowl on the Wheel
How to Infuse Glass and Clay
How to Throw a Large Bowl - pt 2- Trimming
How to make a Large Wheel Thrown Vessel with Two Clay Bodies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...