A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super simple but YUMMY banana plumcake that I can't stop re-baking  (Read 3418 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , banana , cake , plum  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: August 27, 2010 04:57:14 AM »

It is surely not the most revolutionary cake ever, but I am in LOVE with this plumcake, and I keep re-making it to have for breakfast (I have found it freezes well, so I tend to bake a plumcake, let it cool, slice it, and then freeze the single slices individually bagged - I re-use the bags several times, to save costs/waste. At night I take one bag out of the freezer before going to bed, and when I get up I have a perfect slice of plumcake waiting for me, fresh and yummy and not one bit dry or soggy).

I can't remember where I picked the recipe, but I already made several changes to it, so I'll call it mine now:

* 2 bananas (instead of 1 as in the original recipe) pured in the mixer with a little milk,
    * 3 eggs
    * 50 g butter, melted
    * 30 g of oil - I used sunflower seeds oil (originally the recipe called for 100g of butter but I reduced this by replacing part of the butter with oil. Next time I will try to cut it furter, using applesauce instead of the butter)

I mixed all the liquids, and added them to  a mix of:

* 250 grams of plain white flour,
    * 1 packet of powdered yeast,
    * 150 gr sugar

Mix it all, pour in a plumcake tin and bake at 180C for 45/50 minutes (if the top gets too brown, after a while I use to put on some aluminium foil to cover it, and  keep baking till the cake it's done, and a stick inserted comes out clean).

I have more pics (mainly regarding my fight with baking paper or lack of it) on my blog, if you can stand the google-translate effect (blog is in Italian)... I would love some feedback!

http://lacucinadelgattobianco.blogspot.com/2010/08/plumcake-alla-banana-ovvero-come.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010 06:21:43 AM »

mmm...looks and sounds delicious!

I'm sure my American is showing, but what makes it a plumcake?  (I thought there'd be plums in it...haha...which also sounds delicious....)

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alhrayth
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010 06:56:41 AM »

ooops, I had not really thought of checking the translations of that!
No, of course no plums involved here, though the name actually derives from some German cakes which indeed had plums in them (my German grandma actually made a delicious one. I wonder if I have a recipe for that too...), but in Italy the term has come to describe simple cakes usually baked in a rectangular tin (there's a pic on my blog in the linked post), with a soft batter containinf some sort of leavening agent and are mostly used as a breakfast thing.  Maybee I should have called simply "cake", sorry if that's misleading! That's how we call it normally!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010 09:37:57 AM »

wow that looks like a perfect loaf of bread! gorgeous! i will have to try this recipe to see if mine looks as nice as yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010 07:52:27 PM »

ooops, I had not really thought of checking the translations of that!
No, of course no plums involved here, though the name actually derives from some German cakes which indeed had plums in them (my German grandma actually made a delicious one. I wonder if I have a recipe for that too...), but in Italy the term has come to describe simple cakes usually baked in a rectangular tin (there's a pic on my blog in the linked post), with a soft batter containinf some sort of leavening agent and are mostly used as a breakfast thing.  Maybee I should have called simply "cake", sorry if that's misleading! That's how we call it normally!

lol...no worries.  If you had put just "cake" I wouldn't know the history and ambiance (for lack of a better term) of your recipe!  haha...great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cibo

Registered since 2004, but forgot log-info. :B

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010 06:34:02 PM »

Sounds delicious, I'll probably make this in the near future, along with some cake with plums in it. (Once I find a recipe.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alhrayth
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010 12:58:31 AM »

Smiley I should have a recipe for a cake actually using plums, it was something my German grandmother used to make... I have to dig it up or recreate it. Anyway, totally by coincidence, I'm putting up today on my blog a recipe for some plum dumplings my Hungarian grandma used to make instead, which were also totally yummy.... here's the link: http://lacucinadelgattobianco.blogspot.com/2010/10/szilvas-gomboc-gnocchi-ripieni-di.html in case you might want to have a look (with the help of the google translate button)... I was thinking of posting them here with a proper translation too....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rucniradovi
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010 05:31:21 PM »

these plum dumplings are delicious, i made them several times using similar recipe. it s a bit time consuming  Roll Eyes, definitely worth the effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bedheadchic

handmade, homebaked, gifts, joy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010 12:40:05 PM »

I was thinking eugh bananas and plums sounds gross - but actually this is what we call a banana loaf cake in the UK.

Am definitely going to try this recipe soon!

Blue Skies
Charlotte xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blueskiesblog.blogs pot.com
wists.com/charlottetp

January Birthday Swap - Sent
Keep Me Warm Swap - Sent
International Snack Swap - Completed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate Anime Characters
How to Buy Calligraphy Ink
How to Design Anime Feet
How to Design Funny Cartoons
How to Sketch Chibi
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...