A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carrots, spices, feta cheese... one failure turned success!  (Read 1017 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , feta , carrot  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alhrayth
« on: August 27, 2010 02:37:18 AM »

The first image you see is the burning failure of my first experiment: a carrot/feta salad which was waaaaaaay to spicy even for my fire-loving usual taste. Sigh, what disappointment!

The second photo is how I salvaged the un-edible remains of that poor salad, by mixing them with a good portion of boiled wheat to turn this mess in a much milder but still tasty salad.

A little recap of the recipe:

- 4 or 5 not too small carrots, grate 'em but not too finely

- in a pan pour 4-5 tbsp oil, to heat up with 1 clove of garlic, finely minced, and a bunch of spices: cumin, paprika, harissa, fennel, some sugar...

- then add to it 3tbsp lemon juice & a pinch of salt, mix well and pour on the carrots.  add 2tbsp mint, 2tbsp parsley (I was happy to have the fresh herbs growing in my garden), mix some more and set aside to infuse 1 hr

-at the last moment before serving add 100grams of feta cheese, crumbled in pieces

.... I messed upp with the spices, and as I said, it was waaaay to hot. The next day I boiled a serving of wheat, and used the carrot/feta salad as seasoning for the wheat... and it magically worked!

crunchy carrots + soft wheat + almost creamy feta... a nice salad which I will have to do again!

more photos on my blog, where I added a Google translate button (as the blog is in Italian)... http://lacucinadelgattobianco.blogspot.com/2010/08/carote-spezie-e-feta-in-due-esperimenti.html

I would love to hear some feedback on the recipe and on the blog too... I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep writing it in Italian or not (I tend to read 90% of blogs in English, I find them more interesting)... I'll try to post a few more recent recipes, to see how they come across! Unfortunately my crafting recently is much limited to the kitchen, though I miss experimenti with more stuff, I'm lacking inspiration... sigh!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010 02:40:47 AM by alhrayth » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010 02:47:58 AM »

spicy or not spicy, it looks delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010 10:05:07 AM »

I'm looking forward to trying this, I am carrot crazy right now and am always looking to do something with them that is a little different, this sounds so good and refreshing (though my husband would probably like the spicy version of this, I think he would a piece of lava if it had buffalo sauce on it!)

As to your blog, the pictures are beautiful and look easy to follow but alas, I cannot read Italian..

Oh wait...DUUURRR..... I tried the translate button...it all makes sense now!!! (sorry, I'm a little slow)
wow, your blog is really cool!
I guess you'll have to decide if you think more people will read it in English or Italian.
If I didn't know about the translate button, I might shy away from it..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010 10:29:42 AM by pazuzuspetals » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selecting Image Quality on Your Digital Camera
Digital SLR Photography Tips
iPhone Photography Tips
Understanding White Balance
Pet Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...