A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inspiration Wall  (Read 1523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rvladams
« on: August 26, 2010 06:38:40 PM »

I am about to embark on an exciting (and frightening!) project.  After a lot of soul searching, I recently quit my job and resolved to spend 3-4 months working furiously on the novel I have been wanting to write...well, for a long time.

In order to keep myself energized and on track I decided I needed some inspiration.   I wanted to hang framed photographs of three prolific and successful novelists whose works I have loved dearly at one time or another: Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and Haruki Murakami.  I didn't want everything matchy-matchy, but I did want it to look simple and elegant.  Unfortunately, however, now that I am unemployed by others I have very little money.  What is a girl to do?

Well, first, through the glory of the internet, she can find three good pictures of her role models:

http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/Stephen_King-1-The_Mist.jpg

http://www.popfi.com/wp-content/uploads/neil-gaiman.jpg

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/murakami5.jpg

Then she can head to Value World (a local thrift store) to pick out three roughly treated and unlikely little frames:

I removed the picture glass (and that hideous matted heart) and cleaned all parts of each 80 cent frame thoroughly.  I also roughed up the edges of the white frame to make its scratches look a little more "intentional."  Then I printed my internet images on $2 worth of glossy photo paper and cut them to fit the frame that matched each one best.

The backing of the heart frame was really difficult to get off--the ugly picture was held in with about a hundred staples.  But I was determined.

Once I got all the pictures into their frames, I realized that 1) Murakami was too small for his frame, and 2) none of the frames had hangers in the right places.  I resolved these issues quickly by matting Murakami's picture on black cardstock and scaring up my wonderful boyfriend to help me pound some tiny nails into the frame backs (for new hangers).

I had no idea how these three disparate pictures would look on the wall, but now that they're up I love them!  (Sorry about this picture--my office wall is actually a nice harmonious peach, not this awful shrieking banshee of a color.)

I know this is certainly not the most difficult or crafty posting in the world, but I am extremely happy with how the whole compilation came out.  And for only $5 in total!  I feel inspired to write already.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010 06:39:19 PM by rvladams » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010 07:38:52 PM »

wow!
Thats great value for 5 bucks!
looks awesome!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
janiegrrl
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010 08:00:42 PM »

That is really creative and awesome.. I think it looks great...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010 10:30:43 AM »

Looks good.  And good luck on the novel.  I'm also an aspiring author . . . if you need help and/or inspiration, and haven't, already, check out the Absolute Write and/or Romance Divas forums.  The people there are really helpful and supportive. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
cathiphop
Knitty Gritty MilCity

The city would be prettier covered in yarn...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010 02:16:54 PM »

Awesome! I have to commend you on your taste in writers, particularly Haruki Murakami. I've just been going back through my collection of his books and being amazed all over again on how brilliant a writer he is. He's gotta be my favorite of all time. Good luck on your goal, girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to contribute to an art installation? Any help would be great-join the ball game! go to 6/29/2008 of this blog for details: http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/
rvladams
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010 06:45:34 PM »

Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate the support, and I think the pictures may be working for me already...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Test Lab: Amika Triple Barrel Pro-Curler Set
How to Get Beachy Waves
How To Curl Your Hair With A Flat Iron
Tips for Parting Your Hair
DIY Runway-Worthy Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...