A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,406
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: please help me figure out what kind of chocolate cake/dessert this is?  (Read 1620 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cyclamen
« on: May 17, 2005 11:26:32 AM »

A little while ago, I ate this really yummy dessert - it looked like it had been mad in a round cake pan, only it didn't have a crumb.  There was no crust - there may or may not have been flour, I don't know.  But it had a nice firm texture, and it melted in my mouth sort of like a dense chocolatey butter - it was served chilled.  It was not greasy.  I know it wasn't a cheesecake because it didn't have that flavor, and it was much to firm.  Does anyone know what this is called or how I can make it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Squara
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005 12:22:56 PM »

Did it have the conistency of a really dense pudding? Maybe it was a mousse? Sounds delish, whatever it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005 12:34:23 PM »

Sounds like a flourless chocolate cake to me. Chocolate, butter, sugar, and eggs...how can one go wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyclamen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005 01:39:10 PM »

Maybe it is a flourless cake.  I found a recipe for one, so I'm going to try it.  I don't think it was a mousse, it was very dense.  Like butter is pretty much the only way I can describe it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005 02:13:10 PM »

chocolate silk desserts melt in your mouth like this too.  Usually they are in pie form but if you had a springform pan you could make it in that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
ming
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005 02:22:15 PM »

It sounds like something made with ganache. That's the chocolatey stuff inside the shell of a truffle. That stuff melts in your mouth, and the first time I had it (a true truffle) was when my host family in France sent me a package filled with chocolate goodies. I guess when I was living with them, they noticed I always bought tons of chocolate when we went grocery shopping.

Ganache is simply heavy cream (heated to just below the boiling point) and then good quality chocolate mixed in to melt. Let that stuff cool to a consistency where you can make little balls, and then coat those balls in more melted/tempered chocolate. I'm actually making truffles this week to give to people who come to our court wedding on Friday, I can't wait (for both the truffle making and getting married.  Grin)

If you want a recipe for truffles (ganache), let me know and I'll post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyclamen
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005 02:40:29 PM »

Mmm.... Ming that sounds exactly like what I ate.  I wonder how they made it into a big pie?  I would love to have the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005 02:42:25 PM »

You can pour the cream/chocolate mixture really easily when it hasn't hardened yet, so they probably poured it into the pan before it has set. I will definitely pull out the recipe and remember to post it here when I get to it, it will probably be Thursday though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005 11:31:17 PM »

There's a great flourless chocolate cake recipe on epicurious.com that sounds like what you're talking about, though maybe a bit lighter.  Here's the link:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/101369

It's kosher-for-Passover and non-dairy, but you can also make it with butter (mmm), and then it's not.  It is SO good.  The first time I made it, it fell off the counter and onto the floor, and my roommates and I still sat around it with spoons eating off the parts that didn't touch the ground.  It's that good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ming
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2005 06:46:12 AM »

The first time I made it, it fell off the counter and onto the floor, and my roommates and I still sat around it with spoons eating off the parts that didn't touch the ground.  It's that good.

Haha! I'm always so careful when I pull stuff out of the oven in fear of doing something like that! Unfortunately I don't know how well my fianc would respond to eating off the floor the "untainted" parts of a cake. I'm glad that this cake turned out so well, I will have to add this to my recipes to try binder!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Charles Kipps Talks About Crystal Death
Meet Author Simon Doonan
Ian Black and Peter Brown Talk About The Purple Kangaroo
Free Agent Book Trailer
Doug Magee Talks About Never Wave Goodbye
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...