A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Upper thread tension problem  (Read 330 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AimeeRose
« on: August 26, 2010 08:07:10 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I only went back through 6 months of topics. (I have a 4 y.o. and not much time.)

This is the issue:  my Singer 201 will sew just fine for a few inches (roughly 2-4) then the tension goes on it. I think it is the upper tension, because the top side of the sewing is fine, but the bottom becomes a straight line with small loops coming down from the top. Why would it do this? Even with readjustment, it happens each time I sew. Is it terminal, or possible something I can fix myself?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
westbrook
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010 11:12:56 PM »

this is one of those problems that could be anything. I am going to give you a few things to try...

First thing, clean, oil, and grease your machine. I mean, if you are going to try to fix it... it is easier to start with a clean machine. Get a piece of soft light weight cotton fabric, soak it in alcohol and run it around the tension disks. This is part of the cleaning process that we tend to neglect. Make sure to get in between the disks.

Once you have given it a once over....
change bobbins, sometimes there is a little nick on the bobbin or it didn't wind just right which could be a function of the spool of thread. And sometimes the thread on a spool doesn't get wound with a smooth tension from the manufacture so give another spool of thread a try.

changing the needle or my favorite thing to do is use that "strawberry hanging from the tomato pincushion". The strawberry is filled with emery which is abrasive and will smooth out any nicks also referred to as 'burrs' and sharpen the needle at the same time! check to be sure the needle is straight.

Make sure you have the bobbin in the correct way and the thread in the tension

http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams/Threading_Pages/Singer_Sewing_Machine_Threading/singer_201_threading_diagram.htm

If none of these things work, try adjusting your tension knob, a fraction of a number at a time. Sometimes these old machines springs inside the tensioner just loose its spring and need a little gentle turning of the dial.

if not.. take it to a repair shop. Usually for the price of a cleaning they will do all the adjusting needed. I would never give up a 201! unless someone gave me another 401! LOL!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Piranha from the Movie Piranha 3DD
Off Book: The Evolution of Music Online
Off Book: Generative Art - Computers, Data, and Humanity
Off Book: Hacking Art and Culture With F.A.T. Lab
Off Book: The Evolution of 8-Bit Art
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...