A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My big sliced wooden human heart. Now with process photos. PIC HEAVY.  (Read 8908 times)
Tags for this thread: carving , anatomical_heart , featured_project , heart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gorgaus
« on: August 26, 2010 02:53:15 AM »

I was recently invited to participate in a thing called The Kauri Project. A few years ago a massive 108 year old Kauri pine tree had died in the Sydney Botanical Gardens due to an infestation of flying foxes, which are a protected species, but they unfortunately have a tendency to destroy the trees they nest in. Instead of mulching the tree they decided to ask about 30 different people to make things out of the wood. We all chose our wood and went off on our merry way to make totally different things. Here is what I made.....

A giant sliced human heart!

It took about 3 weeks to make it.

I've now added process pictures to show you all what a nightmare it was! I was so frightened that people wouldn't like it. All the other participants are well known or skilled professional woodworkers, this was my first time working with wood in such a way. Hope you like it.

Other people made a variety of things including sculptures, tables, chairs, bowls, boxes, cupboards, jewellery and a boat!

There is an official website, but I don't know the address, if you'd like to know more about the project you can Google 'The Kauri Project'

Ok so I started out with a model of a heart that I found. An educational toy. I glued all the bits together then sliced it up on a band saw.

Then I had my chosen piece of wood, big and flat. I used my little heart slices as a pattern and with an overhead projector blew the pattern up to a size where they all fit into the piece of wood that I had.

Then I cut out each pattern slice on a bandsaw. I then glued and clamped the slices together with a piece of paper in between each slice. This is so I could break them apart again, the paper stops the wood from gluing to the wood. It really works!

With my slices glued with paper in between I used any tool I could find to carve and carve. I used grinders, sanders, files, planers just about anything that worked. I was a maniac, I tried everything.  made sure I enclosed myself into a corner of the workshop because I created a LOT of dust.

Anyway after a lot of cursing and dust in my bra and undies, it ended up looking like this

And then I used chisels and a hammer to gently separate the slices.

And then I had sand off all the paper, carve out the interior parts of the heart, sand the outside smooth and add detail to each piece and add a pole in the bottom of each piece. This took quite some time and was more work than I'd really anticipated. I was very sick of it after a while because each slice was like a sculpture in itself.

And after all that I had to carefully paint and stain and finish the whole thing. I added veins on the outside of the heart. The quickest way I could think of to do this was to use knead-it, that 2 part epoxy fix it stuff you can get from the hardware store. I then has to carefully paint each vein. 

I was in a rush to get it finished in time. Typical me, leaving things to the last minute. I quickly made a basic block stand for the base, with holes in it for the poles and painted that with varnish, i spent all night painting and painting the heart and it was all a bit of a rush job and it's making me tired just thinking about it. But I got it finished in the end. So after all that work I felt like it was a lot of effort for a bit of an ugly product! But that happens sometimes, and I've learned to appreciate it more now that I'm not having to look at it and think about it all the time!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010 08:51:05 PM by gorgaus » THIS ROCKS   Logged
glambastard
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010 03:27:39 AM »

wow. that's really cool! Totally hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, I currently need art (paintings or something to hang on a wall) but I'd be up for anything.
smelsmin
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010 04:43:13 AM »

This is awesome - good thing they gave the wood a new purpose instead of mulching it! This rocks'd Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010 05:10:56 AM »

That is so cool! What an honor to be chosen for such a project! This reminds me of the 'Bodies' exhibit. If you haven't been to see it (or haven't heard of it), you should check it out. Great job on the heart. It looks very accurate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
rrrat

little punky rat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010 06:14:05 AM »

Great! Totally awesome! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sorry for my english. from Russia with love! ^^"

http://formspring.me/rrrat - ask me anything
http://vk.com/rrrat
http://rrrat.ru - my blog (may be spoilers for swaps!) and my creative writing - all in russian
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010 06:41:43 AM »

Whoa, what is this?! Frikken rocks man, too cool for words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
beth8144
It is just so stinkin' addictive!

CRAFTING KEEPS ME FROM GOING CRAZY!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010 07:11:06 AM »

This is amazing. Great job looks very detailed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So many ideas so little time. Will I ever get them all done?
http://wists.com/beth8144
http://pinterest.com/beth8144/
Some_Girl
If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library. ~ Frank Zappa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010 07:36:32 AM »

What's not to like! It's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Farnsworth
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010 07:55:55 AM »

Not only is this fantastic, well-constructed, and genuinely creative, I also think that this idea would be a wonderful teaching aid for anatomy students.

Awesome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have joined the world of foodblogging! Check it out: http://freethoseradicals.blogspot.com/
BeaG
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Hi from Belgium!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010 08:19:25 AM »

You did an amazing job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Assembling Supplies for Plein Air Painting
How to Draw Bamboo with Watercolor
How to Create Snow with Watercolor
How to Create Realistic Tree Trunks in Watercolor Painting
How to Create Bricks with Watercolor
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...