A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Belly Dance 2010 Troupe Costume  (Read 2040 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Silversark

Queen of France!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2010 10:04:36 PM »

The colors for my belly dance troupe's costumes this year are yellow, lime green, and hot pink.  I saw this lime green satin at Hancock and new it would be perfect for my costume!  It's got sequin embroidered on in the shape of flowers and vines.  I also found hot pink silk dupioni (a million dollars a yard, eeesh, thankfully I didn't need much) and had some leftover green trim from a previous costume.  I picked up a couple rolls of sequin strands.

For the top, I based it off the top from Simplicity 5359.  This was my first time making a belly dance top that wasn't an adorned bra.  I trimmed the top with a band of silk on the sleeves, at the neckline, and later on added a band to the bottom because I wanted more coverage.  Because I used fabric that doesn't stretch, I added elastic to the bottom and around the neckline to get a more fitted look and for comfort.  I sewed the green dangly ball trim to the sleeves and glued a row of sequins in the center of the ribbon.  I did a mixture of gluing and sewing more sequins around the neckline.  The top closes with two large hook and eye closures, but I cover that with a big ole pin because the elastic causes it to gap slightly.

The skirt is just a run of the mill panel skirt; I didn't use a pattern.  I joined the panels with a few inches of elastic on each side, and sewed a band of the silk dupioni to the top of it.  I glued on a row of pink sequins to the bottom of the band, and tacked on a tassel across the front that I found at Hobby Lobby.  Going down the panel's side seams is a row of pink sequins.  I also sewed a line of sequins the inside seam to "hide" the stitches.  The bottom of the panel skirt has the green beaded trim to give it weight so it doesn't flop around as flimsily.

For one of our dances we wanted to use half-circle skirts, and I got this weird yellow fabric for like a dollar a yard, so I made three of them, and one of the other ladies in troupe bought one from me.  I cut three triangular-ish shapes, except the two side pieces had a rounded bottom hem.  I sewed snaps to the top of them so I could quickly and easily get in and out of the skirt.  It snaps to the inside of the pants.

We'd decided we wanted to do tribal-style green pants.  I incorporated more yellow into the costume by adding a little to the pants.  The pants have a slim fit to the knee, and the pattern piece from knee to ankle is a circle.  So it's very full and swooshy!  They are the ugliest pants I've ever worn, and I used to wear purple jeans when I was a wee one.

Enough talk, more pics!

Phase 1, before more coverage added

Phase 2, after band added

Closer look at top detail

And of my troupe!

and makeups!  You can see the trim better!

ConCrit appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010 10:41:10 PM by Silversark » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make Elegant Gothic Lolita goods on commission, and sometimes I just make things for the online store!

http://silversark.etsy.com/
Christine420
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010 11:21:35 PM »

WOW this is gorgeous! I love that your troupe members all have different styles of costumes, and still look like a troupe. And your makeup is amazing! (*zaghareets*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010 06:22:48 AM »

It's fabulous! Makes me want to be in a belly dance troupe Smiley! You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tamberine
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010 06:31:53 AM »

I love it! The colors are so unique.  The costumes are beautiful!! I just started belly dancing and have very little costuming so far.  Belly dance clothing looks so intricate with all the little embellishments.  You did an awesome job with this!  Did you make them all?!?! Or did everyone make their own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silversark

Queen of France!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010 09:05:10 AM »

Christine 420, thank you!  Every year colors are discussed, and one clothing item is to be the same color/style (like this year's green tribal pants.)  The previous year, everyone used the same fabric (American Knit Sequins--yuck) so it looked a little more cohesive.

Tamberine, I made my own costume--everyone in troupe makes/builds their own.  I can't stand doing intricate handiwork like beading or scaling, so I try to choose fabric with embroidered sequins on it already and choose trims that give the illusion of a lot of hand-done work, like tapes of sequins and beading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make Elegant Gothic Lolita goods on commission, and sometimes I just make things for the online store!

http://silversark.etsy.com/
WraithKitten
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013 10:11:04 PM »

WOW you did an amazing job!
You all look amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Short Hair Trends Work for You
Different Ways to Wear Side Swept Bangs
The Perfect Short Cut For Your Face Shape
Dare to Try the ‘Wet-Look’ Effect
How To Do a Messy Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...