A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
808 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: care bear dress and petticoat (image heavy)  (Read 20537 times)
Tags for this thread: care_bear , dress , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

percyrosemont
Albatross to myself alone

Albatross ... DUCK!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010 10:33:56 AM »

That is super cute, and I love pockets! I've been trying to include pockets in all of my stuff lately too because I hate carrying a purse for any other reason than matching my outfit I'm also very hesitant to have yellow trims but it works so well for this, perfect job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010 12:10:51 PM »

That is super cute, and I love pockets! I've been trying to include pockets in all of my stuff lately too because I hate carrying a purse for any other reason than matching my outfit I'm also very hesitant to have yellow trims but it works so well for this, perfect job!

I wasn't sure about the yellow trim either. I was hoping for pink or blue, but hey it worked out really well so I can't complain  Cheesy
I don't mind carrying a purse normally, but there's some places where it's really inconvenient or even not allowed (parties, concerts, clubs, etc.). When I tried to put together outfits for going out this summer, I realized that a lot of store bought clothing for women doesn't have pockets or only has tiny ones, so I started putting them on all the stuff I make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
absolutnia
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010 07:33:10 PM »

wow, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SummerScoobySnacks
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010 06:47:59 PM »

this may just be the cutest dress in existence. and you should make a tutorial for it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekster
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010 09:06:06 PM »

I think I have that fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elbow grease is the best polish!
"If I hold my tongue just right, and I hold my breath...it will work." - Carol Duvall

www.facebook.com/kernkerncrafts  

the link is calling to you! click it and enjoy. enjoy, damn you!
N30Nb100d
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2010 04:10:28 PM »

this may just be the cutest dress in existence. and you should make a tutorial for it Cheesy

Well, I can't really do a full tutorial since I didn't take progress pics, but let's see what I can do shall we? This isn't super detailed since there's no pictures, but it should give you an idea on how this goes together.

Okay, so you'll need a pattern that you can use for a bodice - basically any fitted bodice will do, cut this pattern off at the waistline if it isn't already (with seam allowance of course). Cut all the pieces normally, except the back piece. You want to measure the narrowest part of the back pattern piece, double that number, then measure that amount away from a fold on your fabric. Lay the back pattern piece like you're going to cut it on the fold, but place it the amount you measured away from the fold. Pretty much you want the back to end up being extra wide so that you can add the shirring in the back later.
Sew the bodice up like normal, and do the same for lining (not optional if you want to do back shirring with this method), but don't attach the two yet. For the top ruffle, cut and sew together into a loop some strips that are double the height you want the ruffle to end up plus seam allowance (you want to fold the strips in half so the ruffle has no raw edge on top) and twice as long as it is around your bodice. Fold in half and gather/ruffle that.The tricky part: Before you gather it, measure how wide your new/expanded back section is, without seam allowance, and mark that distance on your strip. You don't want to gather this portion since it will gather when you add the elastic in the back later. Sandwich the ruffle between the lining and outside bodice, lining up the un-gathered portion with the back panel. It should stick up when you flip it right side out. You also want to sandwich the straps (cut according to your bodice pattern) in this same seam but only in the front. If you want the straps to cross like mine though, you'll have to add some extra length to them while cutting out.
The skirt is a basic gathered rectangle. Mine was two rectangles the width of the fabric (42") by 15" or so. The pockets in the seams are pretty much rectangles sewn in like normal in-seam pockets (there's tutorials for this floating around). I added button holes to one side of each pocket, about and inch and a half away from the edge before I sewed the pockets in to the skirt. So, sew in your pockets and sew the front and back of the skirt together.
Cut some more strips for the bottom ruffle, this time about 5" or 6" high and double the distance around the bottom of your skirt. Sew these into a loop,  hem one edge, and gather the other one. This gets gathered evenly all the way around and sewn to the bottom of the skirt.
Then gather the top of the skirt so that it fits the bottom of your bodice. Like you did with the top ruffle, you want to measure a section in the center back of your skirt that is the same size as the back panel of the bodice so that this section is not gathered when you sew the skirt onto the bodice.
If you want to line the skirt too not just the bodice, cut two rectangles for that too and gather and sew on the same way, the only difference is you don't need to do a bottom ruffle on the lining. Sew the lining to the bodice lining and the outside skirt to the outside bodice.
Now it should pretty much look like a dress, except be way too big in the back. This part, the shirring, is kind of tricky: measure the height of the back panel, divide it evenly into however many lines of elastic you want to have, and sew lines across only the back panel through the outside and lining fabric. The first line you sew will be 3/8" away from the top of the bodice (not counting the ruffle) then one however far down you measure will get you even divisions, then 3/8" down from that one, and so on, so that you end up with a number of evenly spaced channels that will fit 1/4" elastic. The last line of stitching should be right where the bodice and skirt join.
Next, thread some elastic through each of the channels and sew it down on one side. This line of stitching is perpendicular to the channels, right on top of where the back panel joins the side back panel. Make sure it goes over all the elastic ends so they can't slide out. Safety pin the elastics in place on the other side of the back panel so you can try it on. A good starting point for how long each piece of elastic should be is 1/2 of what each channel measures since elastic usually stretches to double it's length. Try on, adjust the elastics in the shirring, and once it fits perfect, sew the other side of the elastics down, right over the other back panel to side back joint.
Try on your dress, and see where the straps reach in the back and where you want them. It's nice to have someone help you with this so they can mark where the straps will button on while you're wearing the dress. Make some button holes in the ends of the straps, and put buttons where the straps meet the bodice on the inside, and there you go!

Hope that's at least a little helpful to someone  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Morogo
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2010 01:03:43 PM »

it so very very adorable! I let my friend see it and she's in love with it she wants me to make her one XD
Thank you uber much for the tutorial! 

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

killkacy
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010 02:55:49 PM »

cuuute! the fabric you used is adorable - i love it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010 04:10:40 PM »

I just noticed there's an error in the tutorial I typed up before... and I forgot to say how to know how big to make your skirt rectangles. Sorry guys!

For the rectangles that make up the skirt, you want the total width of the fabric to be at least 2.5 (or 3) times your waist measurement by about 15" (for this length)

The error is here:
"Then gather the top of the skirt so that it fits the bottom of your bodice. Like you did with the top ruffle, you want to measure a section in the center back of your skirt that is the same size as the back panel of the bodice so that this section is not gathered when you sew the skirt onto the bodice."

It should really be this (it's a little different than the top ruffle but similar):
Since your skirt is about 2.5 times the bottom of your bodice (while the back panel is only 2 times the final size), the back portion of the skirt that will be gathered by the shirring also needs to be gathered slightly before being attached. I don't remember how I figured this out in this dress, but this should work - measure around the bottom of the bodice (where it will attach to the skirt) without including the back panel in the measurement. Multiply this by 2.5. Measure the amount you got on the top of the skirt and gather this amount onto the bodice (except for the back panel). The non-gathered bit of skirt should then be somewhat longer than the back panel so run some gathering stitches on that as well and make it fit the back panel. At this point (right before adding the shirring), your skirt will be gathered a lot everywhere and a little in the back. Repeat the measurements/gathering for the lining. Then continue with the original tutorial... sew the outside to the outside and lining to lining, and go on to the shirring etc.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010 08:39:13 AM by N30Nb100d » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinktink368
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2010 12:57:57 AM »

I made my daughter a dress in this same fabric, but yours looks so much better!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you must love someone, may I suggest you love yourself!
-- Beauty and the Best, Enchanted Christmas
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Upgrade Your Beauty Bag for $15 or Less
Legendary Colorist Christophe Robin Gets Frank About Cannes
How to Get the Princess Look For Prom
Must Try Face Oils For A Perfect Complexion
How to Create a Mila Kunis-Inspired Nude Lip
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...