A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Natural Amethyst  (Read 528 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RottieFan
« on: August 24, 2010 02:21:25 PM »

Im not sure if this is the right forum....but here goes Smiley  We spent a long weekend with some friends in the mountains of NC several weeks ago and the wife gave me an amethyst stone she found mining.  Unfortunately (not sounding ungrateful...I love it!!!), she gave it to me on Sunday morning before we left and I didnt have the time to seek out a gem cutter.  Does anyone have any clue on where I should I start to find someone that can help me.  I dont want to leave it or mail it to just anyone.  Can it be just polished?  Its a good size piece in its raw state.  I just have no idea where to begin looking.  I live in Middle TN and have no luck even finding a gem and mineral show coming locally.  If anyone could help, I sure would appreciate it!!  Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
metalsmitten
MetalSmitten!

Girl Silversmith. http://metalsmitten.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010 02:59:58 PM »

not all stones can be cut. you'll really want to have it looked at by someone who can tell you whether the stone is high enough quality to even be cut first. Smiley if it's high quality, you probably could get it facetted. if it's got some internal cracks or inclusions, you might be able to get it cut into a cabochon. if it's got a lot of cracks, you might not be able to get it cut at all.

most of those pay-to-dig mines will offer stone cutting services, either on site or through the mail. do a google search for those types of places (i'm having trouble remembering any off the top of my head) and call 'em up to ask if you can mail them your stone Smiley warning: expect to pay a very pretty penny for it, expect to wait a long time for it, and expect the stone you get back to look nothing like the one you sent and be very much smaller than you thought, especially if you're having it facetted.

sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll have a local rock hound club or lapidary club that you can contact whose members might be able to do it for you. their members are usually older and genuinely just love rocks, so they're not usually likely to rip you off.

you could also try contacting various rock shops (there's one in washington called jerry's rock and gem that i can vouch for personally) and see if they're able to cut rocks themselves or can send rocks to a reputable cutter.

hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RottieFan
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010 07:25:41 AM »

Thanks Metal!  At least that gives me more info than I had Smiley  I looked at a website for a local rock hound group and found one. But the website hadnt been updated since either 2007 or 2008, so I thought maybe they disbanded or something and there was no email addresses for contacts on the page anyway.  I may just hold on to it in the natural state it is in for a while.  Maybe something will pop up.  Thanks again for the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
metalsmitten
MetalSmitten!

Girl Silversmith. http://metalsmitten.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010 10:17:21 PM »

no problem! Smiley you can also always tumble it yourself if you just want it shiny Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kleedesignsnc

http://www.etsy.com/shop/KLeedesignsNC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010 02:00:00 PM »

I don't know if you are anywhere near Knoxville, but there is a gem and mineral show there in October.

http://www.discoveret.org/kgms/knoxville-gem-show.php

You might could find someone who could tell you the stone's value or there may be someone there who could wire wrap it for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Back-to-School Saturday Haul with Brittany Balyn
Back-to-School Saturday Haul With Shannon Barker
Jeanius - Jane Herman Bishop on Her Favorite Jeans
How to Wear Pajama Dressing
Voguepedia - Gwen Stefani and Punk
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...