A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: De-Preppify a dress  (Read 1662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dragonbait
Proving my Self worth through domesticity

Today was a total waste of eyeliner.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2004 07:37:45 AM »

My mother gave me this dress that fits perfectly, and very nice, but it's completely not my style. It's a navy blue polo-shirt style dress. Does anybody have any ideas how I can make it more bohemian or rock-ish without totally destroying it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cake or death?
My kingdom for a slurpee.
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004 07:47:46 AM »

You could punk it up a bit with studs (maybe on the collar and cuffs?)  and you could go at it with one of those clorox bleach pens.  (I would test in a seam allowance to see if it gives an effect you like)

good luck!  And post  your results, please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004 07:49:52 AM »

screenprint or stamp a pattern around the hem (shorten it first if necc.) i saw a girl the other day who had done this in white to the top of a navy skirt and it was great. the possibilities of what to stamp are endless.

another thing you could do is cover the hole thing in handwritten text using a white or light colored fabric paint pen - song lyrics, random words, whatever.

there's always sew on patches or trim of some sort. or ruch the sides so the hem is uneven, or the sleeves, or both. or add a couple racing stripes down the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004 08:02:17 AM »

If the basic dress fits well and you aren't afraid of doing a little ripping, take out the collar and do some creative serging at the neckline.  And if you're really brave you could modify the hem a little, too.  Make it asymetrical, for instance.

You could also tie-dye or batik it with bleach or use a bleach pen to decorate it.  

As has been mentioned, patches, trims, fringes, beads, buttons and other embelishments would be in order as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
chris_wass
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004 09:14:56 AM »

There's always the age-old punk rock embelishment - SAFTEY PINS. Buy a bulk pack of silver tone. Pin a row of them facing vertically all the way around the collar and hem. Make a symbol out of them at the top left of the dress where an emblem would go (if it doesn't already have one). They're totally removable so your mom won't get upset that you "ruined" your dress. You can pin silly/angry/snarky patches to the dress with saftey pins too, either scattered on the dress front and back or condensed in the upper left like random merit or sponsorship badges. Or make your own embroidered patches (the patterns at www.sublimestitching.com are great). Make the edges of the patches look worn by pulling out threads. You can get conceptual or message-oriented with your self-made patches.  Skulls are a classic choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
glitterbug

Glitter is in my blood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004 10:16:54 PM »

another thing, polo shirts are kinda OI.....

You could stencil the Dropkick Murphy's cat onto it...

take to it with some safety pins and a bit of tartan...

AWESOME!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

femmie, artsy, pinko, commie, hippie geek
http://55bisous.typepad.com
Goddess
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004 10:40:16 PM »

I friend of mine had a dress just like that, and she knitted flowers in varying sizes and stitched them onto it willy-nilly it was way swing...totally cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragonbait
Proving my Self worth through domesticity

Today was a total waste of eyeliner.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004 08:23:46 AM »

Thanks! The sublimestitching site is an awesome find. I'm still not exactly sure what to do, but I've got some ideas. I'll post pics when I finish with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cake or death?
My kingdom for a slurpee.
craft-matic
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004 07:37:12 PM »

Sorry this is so late, but if you haven't started in on the dress yet, I recommend insetting a strip of fabric from just under the bust to the waist.  It could be a crocheted round, or else something sheer, or a funky print you like.  Then you can cut the colar out, and sew a ribbon over the cut edge, so that it's a simple V-neck instead of a polo neck.  that would also give you the opportunity to stitch in some darts ot make it sexier.  If you did that, you could even make it strapless, if you contrived to elasticize the top (not being a great seamstress, I'm not sure of the best way to do that, but it must be possible.  Perhaps by sewing in a pre-fab shelf bra, or one lifted from a tank that you don't like anymore.)  Or else, you could cut the top off altogether and make a waistline for a simple knit skirt, if you didn't have time for a more involved makeover and just want to make it useful fast.  I recommend checking out the button discussion for embellishment ideas...  Or ball fringe.  Ball fringe is always good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Upside Down Haircut
Updos for Long Hair Styles
Texturizing Hair Using Thinning Shears
How to Start a Beauty Salon - Client Relationships
Clipper Haircut Cutting Techniques For Men
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...