A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap Organizers, how do you feel?  (Read 23915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xmelinda
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2005 06:58:38 AM »

And in trying to decide whether or not you have time to do a swap, you need to look at the mailout date and think what you'll be doing *then*, especially if it's the type of swap that might take a while to put together.

I think most people are understanding if you need to be a little late, but if that happens, just make sure you're not TOO late.  Right now, I have a swap that was due Friday, but I recently found out something about my partner that kinda changed my whole plan for what to send.  What that means, though, is I promised them I'd send it on Monday, only a little bit late, and I am going to try my best to make sure it's a really nice package.

jm2luvr -- We are all sort of venting here, but it's really fun to organize a swap, and not all that difficult.  It takes a commitment, yes, but it really only requires you to have some regular daily access to Craftster and a bit of responsibility.  If you follow the rules as laid out and you keep up with your swap using the downloadable chart thingy, it's easy to keep up with what's going on.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
melmelon

I'm a weird llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005 07:26:45 AM »

i'm in a swap that i feel it's been bad organized, there's no list of who's sending to whom, never received a pm of the organizer to ask me what's happening and why haven't my swapee received the package (it seems that the two package i sent the same day are late or something) and then my name cames out in public as a not sender.
i feel bad about this and i'm sure that there are more people that might feel the same in other swaps.

I really think we should get rid of the "secret swap" style...or at least rethink it a bit....I think it holds people just that little bit more accountable to themselves if they know that others know that they are participating and to whom they are sending...you know.

also, the whole thing with delivery confirmation is also that you can see for yourself if the person who didn't acknowledge your packet got it or not... but I really think that if people aren't going to post in the gallery that maybe they should have to pm the sender AND the organizer to thank them privately in the very least... with the exact same pm, so that way everyone knows everything...

and....now onto karma...my most favourite subject in the world. It might be too intensive to do this over here, with the amount of members we have, but over at Supernaturale, I've got this Random Acts of Kindness thing going on...just a no strings attached kind of swap. http://www.supernaturale.com/glitter/viewtopic.php?t=8372 maybe we could have something similar over here and require new/"bad swappers who wish to reform"  that they send "x" amount of RAKs before they start participating in the reciprocal swaps (maybe 2-3, but without deliv confirm as it is a RAK, but the first real live swap MUST have it or they will not be allowed into another swap?)...but they MUST also publicly acknowledge their gift...training wheels for swapping, if you will (in addition to all the wonderful rules we already have going on) Grin just a thought...if there's much interest in setting something up like this over here, I would be glad to set it up...but I would likely need a hand...

I am sure I have more to say...but it seems that no matter how many crappy swaps I've been in (from lousy organizers to crappy senders...YOU know who you are!!!), for the most part, they have been superbly run. ya. I'll be back if I can remember what else I had to say  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veludo
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2005 08:43:45 AM »

i would like to apologize about my post here.
i was a bit mad at the time.
sorry if i hurted anyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005 10:32:00 AM »

I just want to say that I enjoy organizing swaps. Its fun and I like seeing the different things people come up with sharing the same guidelines. For the most part, its a breeze but you get those 1 or 2 people that make it challenging. I asked this question to see if other more experienced organizers could shed some light on the situation.
I think we all agree, things come up and a week late is reasonable, any more than that is a little rude. I have decided in the future to be a little more clear of delivery confirmations, commitment to send on due date and to acknowledge and thank your swap partner for the item they sent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
jennybean
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2005 08:49:48 AM »

wow, this makes me so scared to participate in swaps! the stakes are so high!  Wink

i'm half-kidding, but i was thinking of organizing a swap soon and i'm not sure i want to anymore. i am not so worried about participating, because i think i am responsible enough!

anyway, what i want to add is that i think karma is a really good idea because then everyone has a rating. and people are held accountable ... assuming they care about their reputation! i would suggest that for karma points there need to be solid rules, and only a few. for example: did you pm your confirmation number, did you send on time, did you acknowledge receipt of your items?

however, i am not sure it will really solve the problems. people are still bound to get stuck with a low-rated partner.  Undecided would the idea be to reward good karma by pairing such a person with another high karma member? then you would end up swapping with the same people over and over. i dunno, but it seems like there is a small group of serial swappers who will build up really good karma. other people who don't participate as often will not have a chance to earn such a good rating ... does this make sense?

having a method of rating and a cut-off for not allowing people to participate anymore is good, but i thought we already had this with the list of banned swappers. apparently there are problems, but i am not familiar with the list and the related problems, since i have never organized a swap.

my other thing to add is this: i don't think it's fair for the organizer to have to make an extra package just in case. this is an extra burden of time and money for a person who is already devoting a lot of time to logistics. i understand that it is a way of protecting a participant from getting burned, and i think that's very nice, but i don't like that the organizer has to worry about this too. however, i really can't think of a better solution.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2005 11:16:06 AM »

my other thing to add is this: i don't think it's fair for the organizer to have to make an extra package just in case. this is an extra burden of time and money for a person who is already devoting a lot of time to logistics. i understand that it is a way of protecting a participant from getting burned, and i think that's very nice, but i don't like that the organizer has to worry about this too. however, i really can't think of a better solution.  Tongue

Its not actually a rule that an organizer HAS to do this. And I'm not sure if many organizers make one a head of time. I think that in cases where they CHOOSE to mail out a little something for a swapper who didn't recieve anything, its made after the fact. Like I said before, they don't have to make anything, and sometimes other people offer to make something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrs.benjimadden
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2005 11:55:28 AM »

i dunno, but it seems like there is a small group of serial swappers who will build up really good karma. other people who don't participate as often will not have a chance to earn such a good rating ... does this make sense?

Maybe to solve this problem under their rateing could tell how many swaps they have participated in.

I think the karma idea is a good one. Sorry about my meager contribution but anything I had to ask has already been asked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are not vigilant and demanding of your talent everyday, you will slowly become what you hate.

My wist!!
www.wists.com/johkay03
QueenofSwords

marty marty bo barty, bo-nana fana fo...uh oh....

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2005 03:04:09 PM »

I really, really like the karma idea.  I like the fact that it gives a variable idea of a person's track record other than "on or off the bad list"; it shows if you're a little flaky, but still might be an OK risk.  I like, too, that it gives a person the chance to improve their standings even if they blow it a time or two.  It's similar to eBay's rating system, and overall that has done very well for them.

I have a couple of suggestions to offer that might address the concerns some people have brought up.

1) What if everyone starts at something like +3 instead of 0?  That way, you have a little leeway for your first attempts, so you can get some practical knowledge about how much time it takes, what you need to do, etc.  We all mess up at the beginning, I'm sure, but it should count more after you get experience and should know better.  This might make it less scary for new people to join swaps, since they have "three strikes" or something before it gets too bad.

2) To lessen the problem of inflation, so that only "super swappers" would swap with other super swappers and eventually create skill stratas (so to speak), what if there were an upper limit?  Say, nobody could have a karma of more than 10 or something?  That way, you can aspire to get to the top and stay there, and it still says something about your overall track record, but you don't have some new members with a karma of 4 and other long-term members with a karma of 72.  Having something like that makes it harder to meaningfully assess the situation anyway; you could figure out what's likely to happen if you have potential swappers that have ratings of 3, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 10.  You'd figure the 7 and 8 are probably OK, no question on the 10s, and you might send a private mail to the 3s and 5.

It also means that you have to keep doing a good job. If you had the karma of 72, you could screw up a lot before it even made you comparable to the person with 4.  If your top rating is 10, you can only blow it a little before it becomes obvious.

3) To keep anyone from getting into sniping wars, perhaps only organizers should turn in karma points to the moderators at the end of swaps.  They'd be in the best position to know (usually) what happened anyway.  I do agree, though, that there needs to be a way for other members to report on bad organizers too; I don't have any ideas about that right now.

Marty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yo, ye pharaohs! Let us walk through this barren desert, in search of truth, and some pointy boots, and maybe a few snack crackers.
alison
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2005 03:25:26 PM »

2) To lessen the problem of inflation, so that only "super swappers" would swap with other super swappers and eventually create skill stratas (so to speak), what if there were an upper limit?  Say, nobody could have a karma of more than 10 or something?  That way, you can aspire to get to the top and stay there, and it still says something about your overall track record, but you don't have some new members with a karma of 4 and other long-term members with a karma of 72.  Having something like that makes it harder to meaningfully assess the situation anyway; you could figure out what's likely to happen if you have potential swappers that have ratings of 3, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 10.  You'd figure the 7 and 8 are probably OK, no question on the 10s, and you might send a private mail to the 3s and 5.

It also means that you have to keep doing a good job. If you had the karma of 72, you could screw up a lot before it even made you comparable to the person with 4.  If your top rating is 10, you can only blow it a little before it becomes obvious.

I agree that if the karma thing goes into use, an upper limit would be important for exactly the reason queenofswords states. 

Also, I don't think anyone should read this and be discouraged from organizing a swap.  They are fun!  Also, by organizing one, you get an inside look at everything that it takes to run one.  This way, you learn first hand how important prompt communication is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennybean
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2005 04:08:47 PM »

sorry my last post was kind of negative. i have not participated in too many swaps, and i have never organized one (like i said). i was just throwing some thoughts out there since i've been frequenting the swap boards lately and have signed up for a bunch recently. they are fun and a great part of craftster that should not get ruined by a few bad apples, and i think the organizers are the best for doing all that work! also, i realized that the extra packages weren't actually required. i think it's really nice that organizers pick up the slack, and that other participants volunteer too. i was just ranting. but i apologize, because it wasn't constructive or interesting!

the limit on the karma in particular seems like a really good idea. in general, i think the karma sounds like a really good idea too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Basics Trailer
Double Duty Makeup: Using Cream Blush for Pink Cheeks and Lips
How to Do a Smoky Eye
How to Apply Fake Lashes
Lauren Conrad at Her Allure April 2014 Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...