A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,450
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap Organizers, how do you feel?  (Read 23332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xmelinda
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005 02:24:33 PM »

In theory I like the karma idea, but I worry that it might be intimidating.  I know there have been some people just getting into swaps who already feel intimidated, and I feel like hey, we were all new at some point.  I've noticed there just *is* a sort of "karma" that comes from participating and doing a good job.  Those of us who swap regularly already sorta "know" who is trustworthy, who does good work, who is considerate and thoughtful, etc.  Some have even been intimidated just because the swaps have evolved quickly into a thing where people usually send multiple items and the idea of what's "expected" seems a bit higher than it was even earlier this year.  I just wouldn't want someone to be afraid to join the swaps because he or she is afraid not making enough stuff would affect their "karma points" or whatever.  That's just one example.

It's a good idea, I just think it would have to be very carefully thought out.  But I'm sure you know that.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005 02:47:57 PM »

Oh definately. I believe that we would state clearly that Karma only has to do with the final outcome of the package, did it arrive? It has nothing to do with the contents. It would basically take the place of the bad swappers list because this would be a LOT easier to update.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005 04:25:51 PM »

I think that a rating system is an excellent idea. It would be great if the organizer could rate everyone in the swap. Then future organizers have the option of allowing them in the swap.
For me things come up, I ruined one of my swap partners items and will be a week sending out but I let her know. 3 weeks late is another story as well as not returning emails. I think that simply stating this in the How To area would be a good idea so people realize the commitment it takes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005 05:55:21 PM »

I remember another thing that I know is a problem because there's an entire thread on it. I had someone from one of my swaps say she knows the person got the item and hasn't gotten a response. Is it ok to make it a requirement to acknowledge they received the partner? You don't have to like it to be gracious and its really nice to give feedback when someone put energy into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005 06:25:17 PM »

I think that a rating system is an excellent idea. It would be great if the organizer could rate everyone in the swap. Then future organizers have the option of allowing them in the swap.
For me things come up, I ruined one of my swap partners items and will be a week sending out but I let her know. 3 weeks late is another story as well as not returning emails. I think that simply stating this in the How To area would be a good idea so people realize the commitment it takes.

Though this wouldnt really answer the swap organizer being a  problem, or them not responding.  (I like how over on glitter, i think it is glitter anyways, how they just have the list public but locked and it shows people who have fallen through multiple times. 

I remember another thing that I know is a problem because there's an entire thread on it. I had someone from one of my swaps say she knows the person got the item and hasn't gotten a response. Is it ok to make it a requirement to acknowledge they received the partner? You don't have to like it to be gracious and its really nice to give feedback when someone put energy into it.

Generally its good to respond to someone that you got the item.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
mayerlove
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005 08:32:24 PM »

i dont think i can organize a swap for this exact reason
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Goddess
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005 10:33:33 PM »

organizing is quite a challenge! hawaiilove has done fabulous work with swaps thanks for asking these questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005 11:07:22 PM »

Thanks Goddess,

I just feel terrible with people flaking and lagging and wasn't sure if it was my job to send everyone an item. I'd love to help one person but multiple flakes is hard. Thanks everyone for the feedback and maybe we can get a rating system going in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veludo
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2005 04:56:19 AM »

i agree but i also agree that the organizers should be rated also.
i'm in a swap that i feel it's been bad organized, there's no list of who's sending to whom, never received a pm of the organizer to ask me what's happening and why haven't my swapee received the package (it seems that the two package i sent the same day are late or something) and then my name cames out in public as a not sender.
i feel bad about this and i'm sure that there are more people that might feel the same in other swaps.
i'm surely not against swap organizers, until now i had no complains about none of the organizers of the swaps i've been but since we are debating this i thought i would write my opinion.

also i think that the organizer would have to be understanding when rating someone, i've sent late packages because sometimes in our lifes happens things that make us get a bit late in doing the crafts and that should understandable (at least i feel this way, school projects sometimes takes more time that we thought and other things get behind)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alison
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005 06:04:46 AM »

also i think that the organizer would have to be understanding when rating someone, i've sent late packages because sometimes in our lifes happens things that make us get a bit late in doing the crafts and that should understandable (at least i feel this way, school projects sometimes takes more time that we thought and other things get behind)

i've been late in a swap or two, and i think any organizer is understanding as long as you communicate that you are going to be later and why you are going to be late.  we all have things that come up in our lives that make swaps less important.

MY problem is with people who are late every time (or at least a majority of the time).  Everyone is given adequate time to make a craft, and it is not a receivers fault that their crafter waited until the last week to start the craft only to have something else "come up".  Often people are involved in so many swaps at the same time that they only have time in that last week to make the craft.  Again, this is not the receivers fault, so don't flake out on them! Start a swap when you receive the name....

I also have a HUGE problem with people saying any of the following:

"i gave it to my mom, my sister, my cat to bring to the post office, i dont know why they didnt send it yet"
"i can't get a ride to the post office until next week"
"i can't get the supplies until i go home from school and thats not until next week, month, etc"

i think you get the idea.  crafters need to take resposibility for their packages and that swap is not over until YOU are sure your swapee received the package.  The organizer gives you your swapees name, so send them a PM.  give them the confirmation number too.  if you know you are going to be late, contact them as well as the organizer.  APOLOGIZE.  Make it up to your swapee...This is your fault and you did something wrong.

and, in conclusion: DONT JOIN OR ORGANIZE A SWAP UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE TIME TO DO IT
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005 06:06:37 AM by alison » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview with Zosia Mamet at Her InStyle January 2014 Cover Shoot
How to Make Your Own Cool Boot Jewelry
Casual Night Out Outfit Tips
The Vintage Vision: Shoe 2014 Trends
Kendall Jenner Shows Off Calvin Klein Underwear in Instagram Photo
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...