A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
771 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap Organizers, how do you feel?  (Read 23103 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 28, 2005 09:29:56 AM »

So, I have participated in a few swaps with mostly pleasant outcomes but I do have one problem and am wondering if it is legitimate or am I just an anal Virgo?
Do you feel like its the organizers responsibility to see that every swapper ships and recieves their item(s)? I keep track of my swappers delivery confirmation numbers, PM if they are late and do not stop checking the board until everyone has received their items. For some swaps it seems like you are on your own. What is the proper swap organizing etiquette? Maybe we can set up guidelines so people don't organize swaps just to get their item and then forget about the rest of the group?
Thanks for your feedback.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
alison
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005 09:38:14 AM »

I feel like it is my responsibility as a swap organizer to do exactly what you do.  Collect delivery conf. #, email everyone to check if they don't send, check to make sure packages are received.  I am always prepared to send one package if someone bails, and would ask for volunteers if more than one person gets screwed.

I've seen sometimes where one person is organizing a bunch of swaps at the same time, and just doesn't keep on top of things.  In my opinion, that shouldn't be allowed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005 10:56:46 AM »

i agree with you guys, thats why you are such great organizers, i think that its a great responsibility and should keep track of everyone.

thank you for being such great organizers! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xmelinda
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005 11:29:35 AM »

Argh, I just wrote a long reply and it didn't post for some reason.  Anyway...

I have been the organizer in 2 swaps, but have participated in many and have been the victim of a bad swapper more than once.  I've had people send me replacements, and I've sent replacements to people who never got things, too.  I was lucky that in the first swap I organized, everyone came through.

I agree that as organizer, you need to be prepared to really keep on top of things, and be ready to fix the problem if one arises.  I'm usually okay with giving people a bit of leeway -- I'm not going to report someone if they are 2 days late -- but I always stress that all swappers need to keep in communication with me.  Sometimes I feel like a nag sending out reminders, but it's important.  I'm pretty accommodating as long as you let me know what's going on.

HOWEVER... the other side of this is that there is only so much the organizer can do.  You have no way of forcing anyone to mail something or to PM you.  In the Let Me Make Your Craft swap, I've posted more than once reminding people to PM me, but not everyone did.  Some people didn't PM me with DC#s, even though that is sort of the cardinal rule of swapping, but when partners posted saying they received pkgs, I knew they'd been sent.  It's my job to track all of this and keep up with it, but my point is that the organizer can ask for PMs all day long, but it's no guarantee she'll get them.

What specifically would you change, as far as guidelines?

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
alison
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005 12:23:01 PM »

What specifically would you change, as far as guidelines?

This wouldn't really be a guideline, but as an organizer I've checked every joiner to see if they have been deliquent swappers (not banned, but the were late or somehing) any time before, and if they were i've sent them an email saying "are you SURE you're going to be able to adhere to the swap dates?"  just so they know you know sort of thing...maybe its not the best way to deal with the situation, but i've been screwed SO many times in swaps, that i don't want anything bad to happen on my watch.

i've also participated in swaps where to organizer just doesn't get back to you.  on swaps where i didn't receive anything, only months later did the organizer even reply to my PM, and then didn't report the swapper to ban them.  this has happened more than once. 

i can't think of any specific "rules" that could be created, because its all so subjective.

i just know that i will only join swaps led by someone i have had some experience with, or can find that they have led successful swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DukesBean
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005 12:31:36 PM »

maybe adding to the rulkes somethinglike if you dont reply to PM's from swap hosts and then you dont get something then your out of luck. you mustkeep in contact or you get a bad point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005 12:47:24 PM »

This wouldn't really be a guideline, but as an organizer I've checked every joiner to see if they have been deliquent swappers (not banned, but the were late or somehing) any time before, and if they were i've sent them an email saying "are you SURE you're going to be able to adhere to the swap dates?" 
i've also participated in swaps where to organizer just doesn't get back to you.  on swaps where i didn't receive anything, only months later did the organizer even reply to my PM, and then didn't report the swapper to ban them.  this has happened more than once. 

That's not a bad idea about double-checking -- but as you say, it's so subjective.  The person in the LMMYC swap who has not responded to me had some problems in the other swap I organized, but she DID keep in contact with me, and she did come through on her end, so you know, it's hard to say, it's not really fair to brand someone if they were VERY SLIGHTLY late previously.

But the other stuff you mention, that's crappy.  I admit that so far the swaps I've been in have been organized by people whose swaps I've been in before or people who've participated in swaps I was in, so I kinda know them.

I hate to get too deep into rating people, giving feedback, and so forth, because I want to keep this fun and not a rigid thing, but it definitely requires a level of trust and it definitely sucks if you're the one who's screwed.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005 12:54:28 PM »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this up. I believe that if you take on the role to organize a swap, you must be prepared to keep track of everything that comes with it! The swapping guide has documents and rules to follow, and its best to fill out and keep track of everthing. It is half your responsibility to make sure that you get a DCN or a confirmation that the package has been recieved (the other half is for the person to send it!) As an organizer, you should be making sure everything is recieved and sent! And then send any bad swappers information to a mod or Leah (admin). xmelida is right, there is only so much you can do, and its most important that the swappers do their part so everything runs smoothly.s

Its also not a responsibility to send out "extras" although, its definately kind of you to do that! If you can't send something out, its always nice to ask other participants if someone wanted to send something out to a person who didn't get anything. Sometimes people who weren't even in the swap will be so kind to send soemthing since they missed the signup deadline or something.

alison:
This wouldn't really be a guideline, but as an organizer I've checked every joiner to see if they have been deliquent swappers

This is vital for everyone to do! We may introduce something called "karma" which is a feature on this board. From Leah: "Basically every member starts with a Karma of zero and members can bump up or down another member's Karma by one point whenever they feel like the person has done something good or bad.ONLY moderators and swap moderators can change people's Karma.  And when someone flakes out on a swap we could decrease their Karma to -1. This would be a way for swap organizers to quickly check whether someone is a badder swapper or not."

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve swaps, we want to hear them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alison
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005 12:58:28 PM »

what about habitually late swappers?  can we crack the whip on them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norsgoebel

the cutest of the 7 deadly sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005 01:11:11 PM »

I haven't organized a swap yet and the above problems are specifically the reason why I haven't.  I love swapping but kinda got burnt out on it considering many (maybe half?) of the swaps I was in turned out disappointing.  I heartily agree with the karma idea, with over 20,000 members now I believe there has to be some kind of rating system put into play. I do so appreciate the organizers who are very on the ball and let them know that I appreciate  all the work that goes into a successful swap.  I'm sure they are getting extra  real life karma points!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take a peek!
http://www.polytypicarts.etsy.com

2 sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm sh*tfaced...N.P.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Design a Cartoon Panda
How to Design a Cartoon Turtle
How to Design a Cartoon Donkey
How to Design a Cartoon Fairy
How to Design a Cartoon Monster
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...