A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap Organizers, how do you feel?  (Read 23196 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2005 11:28:52 PM »

yeah, I didnt mean not liking something someone made, just when its blatenly against anything i said i liked.  sometimes i just dont feel like people even read my likes/dislikes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
EmilyFlew

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2005 06:47:35 AM »

yeah, i agree. swapping used to be so fun, but now its not so fun. i dont want to be snotty, but there are only a few people i want to swap with.  i know these people are reliable and dont send something they've spent 5 minutes on.  that does sound really snotty, but its not fair to work soo hard on a project and send it off, and either get something crummy, or something late, or nothing at all in return.

it's not snotty, it's true! i'm starting to feel the same way. i'm not capable of doing a half assed project, i honestly give it my all, and i try really hard to make sure that what i'm making is something my partner will like, and sometimes the stuff you get back makes you wonder why you bothered, especially when it's in the exact colours that you said you didn't like, or is something that you specifically said you wouldn't wear. i just wish people were more considerate!

Yeah, I've been down on swapping too for the same reason lately. I put more and more time into projects, and seems like a lot of people put less and less time. That's why I think that the "karma" idea that was being thrown around for awhile is such a good one. Then, organizers can try to match up people who always make really great things and put a lot into it. And it would be less intimidating for people just getting started with swaps, who might not be ready to put a whole bunch of hours into a package, to know that they're getting matched up with someone else who's new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2005 02:29:47 PM »

i just posted a new swap, and i thought a lot about this conversation when i wrote the swap description. it ended up being pretty long, but i'm hoping it will be easier to match people up. i gave them a lot of questions to answer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
tinapickles
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2005 02:53:14 PM »

I've only organized one swap, but I've participated in close to 20-some now.  Swapping is tricky, i thin, at best.  Everyone has different craft "level" abilities.  there was some discussion before about instituting some sort of rating system.  Perhaps if something similar to ebay rating was set up and we'd have to rate the person we recieved an item from as well as the swap organizer? 

until then, I think crafy_dame has come up with a good alternative...ask more specific questions.  I know, so far, I've PMed back and forth a bunch of different times for each of my swaps asking additionaly questions to get a better feel for my partner.

I love the swapping stuff so far (i'm addicted).  I hope that the stuff I've been sendign out is satisfactory for my partners....

tinapickles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it weren't for STRESS, I'd have no energy at all....
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2005 09:28:30 PM »

yeah, i agree. swapping used to be so fun, but now its not so fun. i dont want to be snotty, but there are only a few people i want to swap with.  i know these people are reliable and dont send something they've spent 5 minutes on.  that does sound really snotty, but its not fair to work soo hard on a project and send it off, and either get something crummy, or something late, or nothing at all in return.

Okay, this discussion is totally playing into my paranoia!!! I totally try, but I keep wondering if people really like what I send or if my stuff sucks. I hope that anyone I've sent to who has been unhappy lets me know, & know what I can do to remedy-- or if I'm just bad. Great, why did I read this when I am on emotional rollercoaster?
it's not snotty, it's true! i'm starting to feel the same way. i'm not capable of doing a half assed project, i honestly give it my all, and i try really hard to make sure that what i'm making is something my partner will like, and sometimes the stuff you get back makes you wonder why you bothered, especially when it's in the exact colours that you said you didn't like, or is something that you specifically said you wouldn't wear. i just wish people were more considerate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
krazigal72

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2005 10:18:06 PM »

IQ- I've been partnered up w/ you before, and i honestly loved the stuff you made. Smiley Remember the David the Gnome prints? And the 80's coloring book? Yes, you rock
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
iqjones
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2005 09:18:12 AM »

IQ- I've been partnered up w/ you before, and i honestly loved the stuff you made. Smiley Remember the David the Gnome prints? And the 80's coloring book? Yes, you rock

No, no-- YOU rock krazigal! I think the 80s cartoon & the 80's music swaps may have been my best packages. I am so estatic that you are happy!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
http://brainybeautys.blogspot.com
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2005 10:57:43 PM »

I just thought of something that might work. When you organize your swap ask everyone to list the swaps they are currently in and their due dates in the questionaire. If you think they are in a lot too close to the due date you can choose not to let them join. If someone has 5 swaps all ending in the same 2 week period chances are they aren't going to have time to spend much time on your swap or be late. Granted some people are very quick, its seems like all the swaps these days are requesting 3-5 items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'performer....costume') maven.
xmelinda
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2005 06:19:28 AM »

Hawaiilove, I think that "swap inflation" is one of the big problems with the swaps right now.  It's gotten to the point where all the swaps require 3-5 items (or more, sometimes) and it's really overwhelming.  I had a couple of swaps I was going to organize, and I was going to specify to make ONE thing, but I haven't had time to start anything.  Like crafty_dame said, I probably put too much time into my crafts, because I want them to be really really great, not just "good enough", and then if something comes up in my life that takes away from crafting time, I end up letting everyone down because I don't send by the due date. 

I understand everyone's frustration about flakers and late people and people not posting to the gallery.  But the other side of that coin is that, for me anyway, swapping is starting to not be fun just because I'm starting to feel like my fellow crafters don't have any patience for when "things come up".  I've been in swaps where if you are ONE day late in sending or posting to the gallery, you're made to feel like a BAD PERSON.  I mean, my god, Craftster swapping is a HOBBY, and should be fun, not stressful.  When I signed up for the swaps I'm currently in, I had no way of knowing that 2 people in my office would quit, making me have to take up the slack and be too exhausted to craft in the evenings, and I had no way of knowing that my grandmother would die and I'd have to travel for the funeral and deal with that sort of thing.  Now I'm late with my swaps and I feel very bad about it, but on the other hand, it's not like I'm going to send my partners something crappy just because I ran out of time.  In fact, I usually try to send something extra-good so it will have been worth the wait.  But I still get painted with the brush of "rude and inconsiderate".  Well, I do the best I can, folks.  Sorry.  Really, I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly am sorry.

Before I even read this thread today, I decided that as soon as I finish the swaps I'm in now (with the exception of the year-long Secret Craftster swap) I am quitting swaps, at least for a while.  If it's not fun anymore, I will just put my time and effort into making cool stuff for myself, my friends, my family (and my Secret Craftster partner, who is always patient and appreciative and makes me feel like a million bucks)

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
PinkMafia

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2005 09:24:16 AM »

I'm sorry you feel that way Melinda. i don't think any of us were talking about people who have things come up both those swappers who are always late because they are in too many swaps or those who are weeks late without any type of heads up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'performer....costume') maven.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make ZipSauce Seafood
How to Make ZipSauce Chicken
How to Cook Steak With ZipSauce
How to Make ZipSauce Burgers
How to Cook Wild Duck
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...