A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple embroideries for Christmas presents (and several pics to prove it)  (Read 1336 times)
Tags for this thread: simpsons , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leigh7911
« on: January 04, 2011 01:37:47 PM »

These are actually my first non-cross-stitch embroideries.

For my Simpson's loving brother-in-law:

Yes, I did stick a pin into the wall so I could photograph the darn thing.

Originally I had planned to just backstitch the outline of the letters, but about it took me less than half an episode of Word World to realize the fabric is so busy it wasn't showing up well. So I switched to satin stitch. Wasn't too thrilled with it as I was working on it (another episode of Word World and two of Sesame Street), but in the end I think it turned out decent enough.

Had plenty of fabric left over so I made a little drawstring bag to wrap it in (which yeah, I know doesn't really belong in this category, sorry!):

For his son, my nephew (in-law, I guess) I used this: http://www.sublimestitching.com/zippered+pouch+tutorial as inspiration. Well, I followed the embroidery exactly, but just did a basic zippered pouch instead of following that part of the tutorial. Sewing the pouch only took one naptime, and the embroidery took slightly less than one episode of Sesame Street.

The inside is lined with a random taupe-ish fabric from my stash that doesn't match the outside fabric at all, ooops.

Here's a close-up of the embroidery (one strand, all backstitch) and the incredibly wonky reverse applique:

P.S. All these episodes of Word World and Sesame Street were not all consecutive nor in just one day, I promise. That said, the kid is starting to recognize her letters and numbers... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011 01:53:37 PM »

Did you paint the hoop? Or did it come blue? Great idea to use such patterened fabric and embelish it with a d'oh!

I absolutely love how you measure how long it too to complete in kids shows! Finding destractions so you can have some crafting time is so hard! Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011 09:53:59 AM »

Neat idea! I really like the pencil bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011 02:31:22 AM »

wow, you time your projects just like I used to before minime started full time school lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nodakbex
NDBex Creations

Happiest when creating

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011 12:10:20 PM »

Zomg where did you get that fabric?!  I have a friend who is a die hard friend and she wants me to do something Simpsons-y for her Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright, 1876-1944
leigh7911
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011 08:05:26 PM »

Thanks folks!

The hoop I painted, with craft paint I had on hand. About 2 and a half-ish coats. Yeah, got lazy there at the end... Smiley

As for the fabric, I found it at Wal-Mart, of all places! I had to giggle when the lady cutting it said about half-way through "Is this... The Simpsons?!" For I consider myself quite pop-culturally ignorant, but really, they've been around forever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
momcuellar
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011 06:40:18 PM »

I likethe Stitchings!!  I had forgotten how I used PBS to craft things too!  Good Times!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Never Let It Fade Away.
Catch a Falling Star & Put It In Your Pocket, Save It For A Rainy Day.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Malaysian Chicken Satay
How to Cook Lamb Madras
How to Cook Indian Lamb Kebabs
How to Cook Keang Paneang Gai
How to Cook Egg Bhurjee
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...