A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
380 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Head Start Art Journal (Signups Closed ; MAIL BY 10/01/10)  (Read 16128 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ninja_Poo
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2010 04:36:42 PM »

I, personally, would love to receive a journal with a couple of gesso'ed pages Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2010 06:18:14 PM »

So I have no official "art journal" to share, but I do have some examples of book making, random sketches, and some more crafty stuff  Smiley

My envelope book (I love this book so much as is and will probably never add anything to it)

I also used old greeting cards that add some pretty pictures and extra sturdiness to it  Smiley

Open edges:

and some random sketches/doodles from other notebooks:

my attempt at drawing a 'baby' peach on it's branch:

aaaand my more crafty stuff, I sent these pages in an art journal pages swap:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
RougeRaven
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010 07:47:43 PM »

Ive been art journaling for over a year now and I love altered books with gesso-ed pages! Especially when just a bit of text peeks out here and there  Wink I can't stick with one type of journal- I've used handbound books, sketch books, altered books, paper bag journals, and three ring binders. Each has something special to offer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010 04:50:48 AM »

Thank you for saying positive things about all kinds of art journals... I tend to get nervous when I hear "sketch book/art journal" because I've barely mastered stick figures, but love doing other kinds of art. Thank you for making me feel welcomed into this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
-zoma-

finally a picture of me

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010 09:17:51 AM »

I've been art-journaling in some for or another for years - only I didn't have a name for it until about a month ago. I'm sorry I used intimidating language selkie! Smiley It wasn't until I defined what I was trying to do that I started getting good at it...

kartiana - love the envelope book! I save every greeting card that I get but I never thought to save up the envelopes too. Very inspiring. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010 11:08:42 AM »

Thank you for saying positive things about all kinds of art journals... I tend to get nervous when I hear "sketch book/art journal" because I've barely mastered stick figures, but love doing other kinds of art. Thank you for making me feel welcomed into this swap!

Don't worry, my "drawings" at best, are doodles- but that's my style! Your journal is about you and what you do, not what someone deems "worthy" of a certain book. Everyone has their own style of journaling- some people collage, others draw, some write a lot (like me), others are photos. Don't get bogged down with labels, what you are doing is art and worth while- so it is your art journal. Put whatever you want in it! Try googling Frida Kahlos art journal pages- a lot of it is just testing out paint colors or smooshing paint between pages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010 02:07:38 PM »

An art journal is about your interpretations of the day/week/event ... whatever it may be.  I personally use poetry, quotes, and cut out pictures to get what I am feeling across. I rarely ... I mean very very rarely draw, paint or otherwise use my own "artistic" skill.

I stress interpretations as the goal, because it is amazing and beautiful what you can come up with to explain what is going on when you do not use words ... or you use words that are already written ... or just pick one or two words and use magazine pictures, buttons, stamps, stickers, paper, splashes of your favorite paint, your kids art work, ribbon, fabric, wrappers, widgets, gidgets and gadgets from around your house. I even have sewn a few pages.  You should never feel intimidated that one person can paint or draw ... if you didn't have your own skill set, you would not even be on craftster. And if what you enjoy doing is writing and want to doodle in the margins and put cute lil hearts over all your i and j's ... that is your interpretation. 

I have been known to use old books that I paste paper over or gesso, bind my own books, use a spiral notebook, or any number of things.  Use your imagination and you are guaranteed to be thrilled with what you come up with and in this case... your partner.  The best thing about art journals is ... you can use them as coffee table books, they are a great ice breaker and a lot of the time you know what they mean, but no one else ever really will.  It is like having a secret made public and it still remains a secret!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
Pogo
Ardiente

Ready for something new...

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010 07:38:34 PM »

kartiana - I'd love to hear more about your envelope book. That's a great idea for the envelopes!
I fear I am a hoarder of paper, receipts, envelopes, cards, scraps of paper, it is awful. I'll have to try an envelope book. Smiley

I love everyone's encouragement in this swap. I am really excited to swap. Can't wait to share my stick figures with the world. Grin

Shadeweaver - loved your summary of an art journal, especially about sharing them. My journals to date have been all my deep dark thoughts so I can't imagine having them out for the public to review. I love the goal of creating something meaningful to me and yet obscure enough I would allow others to view it. Wonderful challenge!

Partners, partners, partners!!!! Sunday is too far away!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My little site about giving, with a splash of crafting: http://www.fierygivingtree.com
Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2010 08:09:14 PM »

I suddenly noticed this swap and couldn't pass it by. I've just sent in my questionnaire.

Like a lot of people, I've just discovered art journalling recently, and I'm trying to use it as a way to loosen up my much-too-constrained creativity. It continues to be a struggle to keep from worrying about whether or not a page "works" and just do it. Journalling websites, online videos and books are a help with new techniques to try and ideas to copy/adapt, but what I need most is motivation. Preparing pages for someone else and getting half-done pages to start with seems like a great way to get kick-started.

I also enjoy book binding, and have been intending to make myself a decent journal for a while. Again, this takes care of that!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ninja_Poo
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2010 09:28:30 PM »

Here are some pages (and the cover) from my art journal/ inspiration book which is mostly collaged:
Cover, which has large tacky gems, polymer clay candy and miscellaneous other Bright junk glued to it

Cover from my new sketchbook:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010 09:31:39 PM by Ninja_Poo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Guide to Bagels Part 2
The Best New York Pizza
How to Make Baked Catfish with Green Beans and Sweet Onions
How to Make Orange Chicken Burgers
How to Make Candied Clementines
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...