A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can anyone help with Amigurumi patterns?  (Read 751 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hiro-chan
« on: August 22, 2010 04:31:56 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to crocheting, and thus far I'm only able follow patterns with some basic techniques to make things like amigurumi dolls (ex: I made a full size eyeore stuffed toy, about 15-17 inches, I think? Used a pattern). I would like to try making some cute Amigurumi dolls for an anime convention coming up this April, but I didn't want to use anyone else's patterns, out of plagiarism or anything like that.

So I was wondering, does anyone have any tips about how to go about making a pattern or designing this type of thing? How would you know how many rows to make, or how  do you gauge the size? Or, more basically, just how do you construct the pattern?

For reference: I know single crochet, double crochet, joining, making rounds, and changing colors so far.

Thanks! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DustyChica

The Doctor's Companion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010 07:36:42 PM »

Most of the amis I've made have been between 3" and 6" tall, depending on hair and what yarn/hook size I used. I recommend going to your library/local bookstore and checking out a book called "Creepy Cute Crochet". It's a book full of patterns for - surprise! - creepy-cute amis, like zombies and skeletons and whatnot, but it gives a very helpful look at how amis are basically constructed. I've since adapted the pattern to my own specifications, but it's a great starting point about increases/decreases and size. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective point of view, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey . . . stuff."
- The Doctor
[/color]
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010 10:14:26 PM »

A note about that book. I find that it seriously over complicated making a tiny easy ami like that. I bought it to help teach my sister but it was too confusing for a beginner and the pattern's aren't that great. They're all the same shape basically. I buy crochettoday magazine and they have good patterns but ravelry or craftster is where I found all of my ami patterns and by making enough you can get the idea on how to make certain shapes by increasing or decreasing on different rows. I'd just say practice.. sorry, not a huge fan of that book though, not for newer people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldencrafter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010 09:28:08 PM »

The great thing amugurumi is that they are mostly basic shapes. I usually start with the head, take your time and don't be afraid to start over again and again until you get what you want.
crochetpatterncentral.com has a ton of ami patterns, I recommend you start there for practice and then launch into your own. Because they are small they can become addicting to make so you should get the huge box of fiberfill and a wider circle of friends to gift them all to  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NatACT

My little man - wrapped in mummy's craft :D

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010 05:58:37 AM »

I so agree with goldencrafter.
I've got a daughter at kindergarten and they will often come to me and ask for some doll or figure of some sort and what I have learnt is to break each part down into shapes.
Once you have mastered shapes and can break down your 'figure' into its basic shapes then you are on the right path.
I also write down the pattern as I go, this way I can see from a pattern stand point if it works in theory then try it out. This also helps if I want to make the figure over and over again.
Good Luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up for a Personal Swap?

Send me an email Cheesy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pomegranate Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
The Most Expensive Burger in New York City
Bacon and Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
How to Make a PBJ & Bacon Burger
3 Easy, Affordable Fall Dinner Ideas You Already Have in the Fridge
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...