A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,073
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you wear your shawl?  (Read 562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

seeker83
Plays with sticks

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2010 05:34:48 PM »

So I love all the shawl patterns out there, but I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of lady. I don't really do 'girly'. My normal day is an old navy t-shirt and a pair of jeans with Crocs or Docs.

What do you wear with a pretty lacy shawl? Do you wear them as an every day sort of thing, or only when you dress up? I am having a hard time visualizing myself wearing one, but I really want one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010 05:53:43 PM by seeker83 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010 07:06:33 PM »

I seldom dress up, so I wear mine to the store, to movies (especially in the summer), to dinner out, to work, running errands... anywhere I need a light to medium weight wrap. I don't do really fine laceweight yarn, but heavier ones - fingering, sport, dk, worsted and even bulky weight. I don't like the current smaller 'bib' scarf style with the point in front; I make mine a little bigger, medium to large size and wear over one shoulder or traditionally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010 08:20:38 AM »

I have a triangle one in fingering weight I got in a swap last year, it's long enough on the neck edge that I can tie the ends behind my back and wear it as a shrug.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010 06:55:37 AM »

I'm also a jeans and tshirt kind of girl! I have one shawl that is more of a winter shawl and am currently knitting a lighter shawlette and I wear mine asymetrically...the middle top of the shawl goes on one shoulder and I tie/shawl stick the two ends over my other shoulder...does that make sense?  I also sometimes wear it traditionally too.  I agree with soozeq, I don't enjoy the "bib" look myself, although it does look good on other people, I just prefer to have the shawl warming my shoulders and not my neck. 

I think the greatest part of shawls/shawlettes is they can work with both jeans and dressing up.  I would pick a color that offsets the navy t-shirt, such as a pretty grey/silver yarn, that way you know it will go with what you tend to wear everyday.  Did you have a pattern in mind?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seeker83
Plays with sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010 11:01:01 AM »

I cast on a Multnomah in Blue Moon Fiber Arts sport BFL. It's a lovely blue/gray/green/teal color. It's a mill-end, but I think it is Typhoon Tina. Hopefully I can pull off wearing it =D If not, I have a lovely friend who can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010 11:04:34 AM »

I cast on a Multnomah in Blue Moon Fiber Arts sport BFL. It's a lovely blue/gray/green/teal color. It's a mill-end, but I think it is Typhoon Tina. Hopefully I can pull off wearing it =D If not, I have a lovely friend who can!

That sounds fabulous! When you are finished, maybe you could take a bunch of pictures of you wearing it different ways and then put out a vote to your fellow Craftsters to see what look they like best?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Film?
LIZ PD15: Film Comparisons
Tension on Set!!
Loading the Film - Tutorial Trailer
Pre Production for the Teaser
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...