A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Plant Identification help  (Read 2578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sultrykitten
« on: August 20, 2010 08:13:51 PM »

We just moved into a new house, that has TONS of plants in it. We are slowly going through and trying to figure out what is what before we just start taking stuff out. This plant sprouted inches over night it seemed like in the middle of our front yard, after we had moved some excess dirt from the backyard to fill in the holes left by the previous person's dogs. Does anyone happen to know what this is. I refuse to remove it from the yard untill I figure it out. It is rather pretty, but we're having bets on if it's a veggie or not, (I say it's not lol).

Flowers

Whole Plant

As a YAY! moment, my first sunflower is FINALLY opening lol

Thanks for any help!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mama24boyz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AND1GIRL!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010 09:10:52 PM »

OK, I'm no plant expert, but I'm pretty sure thats a morning glory.  No veggies.  And it spreads like crazy!!  My moms got tons of it in her yard!  I like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I absolutely love love quilts, do you think an afghan is a fair trade for a quilt? I'd love to swap!
Etsy
Pinterest
Mamas Creations on Facebook
N30Nb100d
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010 09:46:01 PM »

My first guess was morning glory, but the leaves look different, and all the morning glories I've seen have smoother flowers. I'm curious to know what it is though.
Congrats on the sunflower!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010 10:27:57 PM »

This is really peaked my interest. The plant looks familiar but can't quite pinpoint it. We have some similar plants but they are considered weeds here and the flowers are smaller. The leaves are edible. I thought morning glories were vines. I love morning glories but don't have them here.  That sunflower is beautiful. Hope someone knows the answer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sultrykitten
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010 01:34:44 AM »

I googled morning glorys and the ones I saw were all vines. This one is not a vine. it is pretty tall a foot or so probably and seems to be growing up still. It also has multipule flower shoots comeing out of the one root spot. I am planning to go to a nursery here when I have time, and get good pictures of some other things in our yard we're wondering about. But this one is really bugging us. I've tried googleing it but I can't seem to find this flower with matching leaves yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010 02:01:17 AM »

Now I'm really caught up in this. I just asked my hubby and DIL and they both independently said that it looks like a vine. (even though I can't see the little thingies that latch on to climb.) Wow. This still looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it. I'd really be interested in knowing what it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kalan71
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010 03:52:32 AM »

so I think it's a mallow plant,
latin name : malva sylvestris, you can eat the flowers and the leaves
/www.creapharma.ch/mauve.htm,

here is the picture link, it's in French but I can help you to translate ....
If you're interested in mallow recipes I have some

have a good day
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigercub_wabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010 04:46:26 AM »

it looks a lot like something that grows as a weed here in Israel, a quick wiki-search proved the english name to be malva
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malva

if it is that, the leaves are edible after a quick steaming, either filled like vine leaves or cabbage leaves, or cooked in water with tons of lemon juice...yum
(try looking for "hubeza" in traditional palestinian recipes)
as kids, we used to eat the tiny fruits of it (stripped from their outer leaves) whenever we passed a patch where they grew.
they are really low maintenance, being weeds.
I'd keep them  Smiley
Tal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sultrykitten
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010 11:20:25 AM »

Thanks guys!! I'm inclined to agree that it probably is a mallow after googling for it. I found this
http://www.coldclimategardening.com/2008/08/12/bibor-felho-the-purple-cloud/  The others were close but the flower seemed to have a different shape, but this seems to be exactly like what I have. Thanks again for all your help. I think it's going to stay in our yard untill it dies off this winter... it's just tooooo pretty to rip out lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010 05:51:27 PM »

I can tell you for positive it is a mallow. It looks to me to be the exact color that we sell in our greenhouse. The color is called Merlin's Magic. I grow it outside in my flower bed. It is a perennial in most places. Depending on your zone. In my zone it is touch and go and usually has to be planted because of extreme winter temps. If your winters are milder it will probably come back up in spring. Don't worry about it spreading because the only way they will spread is by reseeding. If you pick the seed pods off you won't have any popping up unwanted. Hope this info helps and I hope you enjoy it! They are very pretty plants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Makeup Tips to Change Your Routine Forever
A Natural Solution For Backache
How to Wear Fresh Spring Makeup
The Risks of Wearing Eyelash Jewelry
Makeover Lover and Minimalist Swap Beauty Routines
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...