A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calgary - LILAC FESTIVAL booths?  (Read 3758 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meli-melo
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005 10:58:13 AM »

I went to a show last month and I think they called themselves The New Craft Collective (something like that, I was looking for the postcard but couldn't find it). Anyway, it was a group of artists: a clothing designer, a potter, a jewlery maker (or two), a glass blower etc. They rented space in the Polish Combatants centre on Kesington Road and it was the first GOOD independant show I have seen in Calgary. I ended up buying two skirts that did not come cheap but if you take into account the amount of work that went into them and the lovely fabric I think they were totally worth it. I think more people need to get together and do something like this.

Has anyone heard of anything else like this going on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005 04:35:40 PM »

i was at the lilac festival and i didn't see your booth Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharkseason
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005 08:17:27 AM »

I went to a show last month and I think they called themselves The New Craft Collective (something like that, I was looking for the postcard but couldn't find it). Anyway, it was a group of artists: a clothing designer, a potter, a jewlery maker (or two), a glass blower etc. They rented space in the Polish Combatants centre on Kesington Road and it was the first GOOD independant show I have seen in Calgary. I ended up buying two skirts that did not come cheap but if you take into account the amount of work that went into them and the lovely fabric I think they were totally worth it. I think more people need to get together and do something like this.

Has anyone heard of anything else like this going on?

Funny, I go to school with a couple of people that are a part of The New Craft Collective so I heard a lot about the show but I didn't have time to go to it. There is a demand for new craft shows aimed at higher quality crafts for a younger crowd in this city and I think it will be just a matter of time before someone starts something. The craft people from ACAD are really passionate about stuff like this, so I can bet that in the next year or two, something big will be started that ISN'T the Show and Sale or even associated with ACAD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://judyandthedream.blogspot.com - a fibre and textiles weblog!
Surrogate
Hopeless Romantic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005 06:45:32 PM »

GAH!! Calgary... don't get me started  Angry

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience, but it's useful information for others of us - eg. me - who were thinking of participating. Now I know *definitely* not to waste my time next year!

What's wrong with Calgary?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005 09:58:28 AM »

Awww!  I was sad not to have any Craftsters drop by!  I was in the park, which hasn't been part of it before.  That's probably why you didn't see me.

And I *did* make a small profit at the show, for those who are thinking of participating, but I wouldn't do it again.  Too many comments like "I could make that!"  Maybe, but not nearly as well as I can.  Also, I'm not deaf!

It also frustrated me that I had to drop my prices nearly to cost to sell anything.  It was disheartening.

If the ACAD organized a high-end craft show, I would SO be there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005 08:48:16 AM »

Awww!  I was sad not to have any Craftsters drop by!  I was in the park, which hasn't been part of it before.  That's probably why you didn't see me.

And I *did* make a small profit at the show, for those who are thinking of participating, but I wouldn't do it again.  Too many comments like "I could make that!"  Maybe, but not nearly as well as I can.  Also, I'm not deaf!

It also frustrated me that I had to drop my prices nearly to cost to sell anything.  It was disheartening.

If the ACAD organized a high-end craft show, I would SO be there!

awww. i wouldve visited you. i was looking and i was like to my mom, "i haven't seen her yet Sad"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Easy Makeup Tricks to Look Instantly Awake
4 Steps to a Luxe Smoky Eye
8 Steps to Perfectly Defined Eyebrows
5 Tips for Waking Up Your Face
Autumn and Winter Nail Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...