A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
769 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calgary - LILAC FESTIVAL booths?  (Read 3576 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meli-melo
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005 10:58:13 AM »

I went to a show last month and I think they called themselves The New Craft Collective (something like that, I was looking for the postcard but couldn't find it). Anyway, it was a group of artists: a clothing designer, a potter, a jewlery maker (or two), a glass blower etc. They rented space in the Polish Combatants centre on Kesington Road and it was the first GOOD independant show I have seen in Calgary. I ended up buying two skirts that did not come cheap but if you take into account the amount of work that went into them and the lovely fabric I think they were totally worth it. I think more people need to get together and do something like this.

Has anyone heard of anything else like this going on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005 04:35:40 PM »

i was at the lilac festival and i didn't see your booth Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharkseason
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005 08:17:27 AM »

I went to a show last month and I think they called themselves The New Craft Collective (something like that, I was looking for the postcard but couldn't find it). Anyway, it was a group of artists: a clothing designer, a potter, a jewlery maker (or two), a glass blower etc. They rented space in the Polish Combatants centre on Kesington Road and it was the first GOOD independant show I have seen in Calgary. I ended up buying two skirts that did not come cheap but if you take into account the amount of work that went into them and the lovely fabric I think they were totally worth it. I think more people need to get together and do something like this.

Has anyone heard of anything else like this going on?

Funny, I go to school with a couple of people that are a part of The New Craft Collective so I heard a lot about the show but I didn't have time to go to it. There is a demand for new craft shows aimed at higher quality crafts for a younger crowd in this city and I think it will be just a matter of time before someone starts something. The craft people from ACAD are really passionate about stuff like this, so I can bet that in the next year or two, something big will be started that ISN'T the Show and Sale or even associated with ACAD.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://judyandthedream.blogspot.com - a fibre and textiles weblog!
Surrogate
Hopeless Romantic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005 06:45:32 PM »

GAH!! Calgary... don't get me started  Angry

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience, but it's useful information for others of us - eg. me - who were thinking of participating. Now I know *definitely* not to waste my time next year!

What's wrong with Calgary?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005 09:58:28 AM »

Awww!  I was sad not to have any Craftsters drop by!  I was in the park, which hasn't been part of it before.  That's probably why you didn't see me.

And I *did* make a small profit at the show, for those who are thinking of participating, but I wouldn't do it again.  Too many comments like "I could make that!"  Maybe, but not nearly as well as I can.  Also, I'm not deaf!

It also frustrated me that I had to drop my prices nearly to cost to sell anything.  It was disheartening.

If the ACAD organized a high-end craft show, I would SO be there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005 08:48:16 AM »

Awww!  I was sad not to have any Craftsters drop by!  I was in the park, which hasn't been part of it before.  That's probably why you didn't see me.

And I *did* make a small profit at the show, for those who are thinking of participating, but I wouldn't do it again.  Too many comments like "I could make that!"  Maybe, but not nearly as well as I can.  Also, I'm not deaf!

It also frustrated me that I had to drop my prices nearly to cost to sell anything.  It was disheartening.

If the ACAD organized a high-end craft show, I would SO be there!

awww. i wouldve visited you. i was looking and i was like to my mom, "i haven't seen her yet Sad"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Replace Sewing Machine Needles
How to Understand Basic Sewing Terms
How to Make Paper from Plant Fibers
How to Make Paper from Recycled Paper
How to Make Placemats Out Of Wooden Chopsticks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...