A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Calgary - LILAC FESTIVAL booths?  (Read 3683 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2005 07:45:19 PM »

Has anyone here ever had a booth at the Lilac Festival?  I'm considering registering, but I'd really like some feedback before I cough up $50 for a booth...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharkseason
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005 01:14:18 AM »

You have to be careful with the Lilac Festival. I don't know what you're planning on selling but I've been told by a few people involved with it in the last few years that selling your stuff is a little tough. Especially if you make original, one-of-a-kind items and charge accordingly. A lot of people go through there expecting to get a cheapo craft fair so if you're one of the few selling high priced items, you may get looked over.

Though, Calgary is a very consumer-based community. So what I'm saying may not have any merit at all. Heh.

Good luck if you decide to participate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://judyandthedream.blogspot.com - a fibre and textiles weblog!
Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005 09:38:04 AM »

I make flower hair clips, some with swarovski rhinestones, that run $10 to $15 retail.  I think that should be okay.  Maybe I should think about it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharkseason
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005 10:14:15 AM »

Actually, I think that you could really make a splash there with that! Smiley

I was going to do it with a friend but her handbags retail at on average $100.00 ea. and I make monster softies that go for about $30-80.00 ea. My monsters do well at ACAD's Show & Sale every semester but I haven't had much luck selling them outside of that forum. Jewellery is a lot more accessible to the public, I think Smiley

The bad thing about Lilac Festival is that it's only for one day, too! It would rule if it ran a few days so you could get more exposure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005 05:05:02 PM »

1) What are monster softies?

2) When are the ACAD sales?  I'd like to shop there!  I don't mind paying more because I understand the kind of work that goes into crafty stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharkseason
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005 09:02:46 AM »

1) What are monster softies?

2) When are the ACAD sales?  I'd like to shop there!  I don't mind paying more because I understand the kind of work that goes into crafty stuff.

1) I make plush toys from handmade felt. "Softie" meaning plush and "Monster" meaning that's what they look like haha.

2) ACAD Show and Sales happen around Christmas and in April. There are usually a ton of posters on the C-Train right before the event actually happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005 01:55:09 PM »

I make flower hair clips, some with swarovski rhinestones, that run $10 to $15 retail.  I think that should be okay.  Maybe I should think about it...

ooh, sounds pretty. i might have to come and get one from ya! last time i went to lilac festival (2 years ago.) i heard people grumbling about how expensive it was.... and it was like a crocheted hat for 12 dollars...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharkseason
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005 09:22:02 AM »

ooh, sounds pretty. i might have to come and get one from ya! last time i went to lilac festival (2 years ago.) i heard people grumbling about how expensive it was.... and it was like a crocheted hat for 12 dollars...

That's exactly why I didn't become a part of it this year. A lot of people have been so spoiled by mass production they don't know how to appreciate something handmade. Gah! It drives me crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emma Peel

mmm, 80s bowie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005 09:13:55 PM »

I found a lot of people EXTREMELY cheap at the festival.  I was selling my clips for $10 or $15 for ones with swarovski crystals.  One woman said, "FIFTEEN dollars??" like I'd told her it was 200.  It has SWAROVSKI crystals on it, for crying out loud!  They're not cheap!

I ended up dropping my prices to $5 and $10.  I sold ONE at $10.  A LOT of people wouldn't buy them at five, and that's barely more than cost.

I ended up making some money, but it was very frustrating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aiar

can't... stop... crafting...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005 09:29:30 AM »

GAH!! Calgary... don't get me started  Angry

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience, but it's useful information for others of us - eg. me - who were thinking of participating. Now I know *definitely* not to waste my time next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clotho - lachesis - atropos
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find Unique Jewelry
How to Buy an Antique Engagement Ring
How to Make Teardrop Chandelier Earrings
History in Five: Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation
The Legend of Sheba by Tosca Lee
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...