A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,015
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there a wist FAQ?  (Read 780 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kimchery
« on: August 18, 2010 10:08:23 PM »

Especially when combined with craftster?  I've been here a month, and I think I'd like one, but I'm still not sure what exactly it is good for....  Am I at least getting this right?

1.  It is for ANYTHING you like online that has a picture...  even things such as books from amazon and stuff on ebay and etsy?

I have read lots about wists here, and I know that is a completely separate website.  Still is seems everyone has one here, so it must be beneficial to socializing, swaps and a number of other things here.  It is supposed to be for anything that happens to catch your eye, right?  That leads to more questions.....

2.  I have seen a few posts where someone has made something for someone else according to a wist they had that originated from etsy.  Well, doesn't that person that is selling the item on etsy MIND that something was made very similar to what they made and are trying to sell?  My thoughts were maybe not, or maybe no one cares because whatever it is is being made as a 'gift' for someone and not for sale.  Still, lets say I'm in a swap and I have a wist from somewhere on etsy and my swap partner makes the same thing that the etsy person was selling?  Is that allowed, or are you ONLY to be 'inspired' by what is on someone's wist from etsy?

3.  The only way I'm going to be able to ask this question is by giving an example.  Let's say I want to add a wist of an ad for a certain mainsteam item.  Let's say... Pepsi or something.  But my fascination and reason for adding this ad to my wists is purely for the artistry of the ad, and not because I'm a pepsi fan.  let's say i hate pepsi, but love that certain ad.  Is there a way to say why the certain wist caught your eye?

4.  I've been looking at other people's wists, and sometimes I really like something from someone else's wist.  Is it politically correct to 'shop' off of someone else's wist here, or does it just make me look like a big copycat?  (I like what yoooou like!!!  Nyeh nyeh!)

Okay, if anyone can try to explain this to me, I'm all ears.  I did a search, but I just could not find what i was looking for.  And after being here a month, i really think I need to at least start a wist, you know? Thank you, anybody who is willing to share the wisdom! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010 06:21:48 AM »

I can't answer all your questions, but can tackle a few of them.
1) Wists are online wishlists (like for Santa) and can include anything online with a picture.  I know mine is full of books and dvds and the like as it was a Christmas list for my Mom one year.

4) lots of people add things from other people's wists so I don't think that's a problem at all.

Now maybe someone who actively uses their wist can chime in to help you out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
kimchery
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010 09:37:51 AM »

Thank you, kjlutz. Its good to know those few things.  Also, if there is an FAQ on that wist site, I didn't see it....  I searched here, it just seems like something that would be asked about often.

If anyone can direct me to any new info anywhere, I'd really appreciate it. 

Somehow I get this feeling people think this is stuff I should already know.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010 12:13:54 PM »

1.  It is for ANYTHING you like online that has a picture...  even things such as books from amazon and stuff on ebay and etsy?

yep. I'm pretty sure it doesn't even need to have a pic - wists.com will create a thumbnail of the website page if there's no pic.

2.  I have seen a few posts where someone has made something for someone else according to a wist they had that originated from etsy. 

I don't sell on etsy (or anyplace else Smiley ) but it's the same idea as wisting something you saw at Sears and your partner making something like it.

3.   Is there a way to say why the certain wist caught your eye?

you can add notes when you save something on the wists. You can also edit the notes later.

4.  I've been looking at other people's wists, and sometimes I really like something from someone else's wist.  Is it politically correct to 'shop' off of someone else's wist here, or does it just make me look like a big copycat?  (I like what yoooou like!!!  Nyeh nyeh!)

it's definitely OK - in fact if you're signed in to wists when you're browsing someone else's, there's a "save to my wists" button (I'm not sure if that's exactly what it says, but that's the idea). When you're on the wists page there's a link to show who is copying your items and who you copied from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010 09:34:24 PM »

Addendum to #3, there is also a check box that you can mark to make something private, say if you want it for your personal reference rather than having someone make it for you. I also add things I plan on making for people but make them private so nobody makes it for me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 2/12

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Skinned Book Trailer
John Carter Cash Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Richard Dawkins Talks About The Greatest Show on Earth
Meet Author Ursula Hegi
Mary Alice Monroe Talks About Time Is a River
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...