A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
336 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Every time my husband talks to the neighbor...  (Read 1762 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christian_cowgirlGSR
« on: August 18, 2010 07:29:29 PM »

Every time my husband talks to the neighbor, he brings home more work for me.   Grin   Two weekends ago, the neighbor told us that we could have as many choke cherries off his choke cherry tree as we wanted and/or could use.  With the choke cherries we brought home, I made two batches of jelly.  Then, this past weekend, the neighbor took us to his cherry tree and told us that he had picked all the cherries he could use (5 gallons worth)and that we could have as many of the remaining ones as we wanted.  So, my husband and I spent about an hour and a half picking cherries.  Over the next several days, we spent a total of about 6 hours pitting cherries, and I spent about an hour-and-a-half making two batches of jam.  I also made a cherry pie and then froze the remaining THIRTY CUPS of cherries. 

Anyway, on to the pictures!

A 12-oz jar of cherry jam and the cherry pie.  The pie didn't look as good as it should have, but it sure tasted good.

A couple more pictures of the pie, just because:

Several pictures of the cherry jam and the choke cherry jelly.  There was a total of about 18 jars of jelly/jam.

And, finally, a picture of the two different kinds of lids.  This is here for a friend that I was trying to explain the jelly-making process to.  With the jar on the left, you can't re-use the lid.  With the lid on the right, you can re-use the part that screws onto the jar but not the flat part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See more of my projects on etsy:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/SissysSewingAndSuch
Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010 08:29:41 PM »

mmmmmm... that jelly looks great! I have never tasted cherry jelly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010 12:19:23 AM »

Oh My Gosh. What a haul. I love cherries and I love this post. The jam and ppppppiiiiiiieeeeeeee look so good. (Sorry, got carried away.) That is a serious load of cherries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fibrous
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010 03:46:49 AM »

Wow, that's a lot of jam. I've never tried making it before, it sounds like a lot of work! The pie and jam sound good though, I'd eat it in a second.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sum1smuma
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010 05:18:24 AM »

IMO you are officially a cherry pitting goddess! I made a fresh cherry pie last year and that alone was a pitting nightmare. You are simply amazing to have pitted that quantity of cherries so therefore you ROCK!
Oh and I am salivating over that delicious pie.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ya just can't stop a crafty girl!
christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010 06:13:55 AM »

Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments! 

fibrous - I just recently got into making jelly/jam and I'm sad I didn't get into it earlier.  Making it is cheaper than buying it and it's just so GOOD!  You should definitely try making it.  It's not as bad as it may seem.  The hardest part is making sure everything is measured correctly and to not make a huge mess!  Roll Eyes  If you want to make some, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have!

zombie_queen - You should try some (or, even better, try making some).  It's delicious and definitely worth the effort if you make it yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lunaholic
armed with scissors

*meow*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010 04:39:26 AM »

this looks really yummy... but my general problema with this kind of cakes filled up with jam, is that usually the jam I buy is too sweet to use.. and I've never done homemade jam since I never had enough berries or such to do it.. sigh..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christian_cowgirlGSR
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010 09:06:53 AM »

this looks really yummy... but my general problema with this kind of cakes filled up with jam, is that usually the jam I buy is too sweet to use.. and I've never done homemade jam since I never had enough berries or such to do it.. sigh..

This pie isn't filled with jam.  I actually put some cherries in a bowl and added just enough water to cover the cherries.  I added some sugar (1 part cherries to 1/2 part sugar - or however much you need for the right taste).  I boiled the cherries for about 20 minutes.  I'm at ~6,000 ft above sea level so you might not need to boil them as long.  Anyway, once the cherries are done cooking, I mixed some cornstarch and a bit of water until mixed.  Then added the cornstarch mixture to the cherries to thicken them up.  Cook a bit longer and you've got homemade cherry pie filling.  I used a total of about 5 cups of pitted cherries for a 9 inch pie and nearly had too much pie filling.  As you can see, it seeped through the seams of the pie crust.  As far as not having enough berries...look around your hometown in the summer.  Lots of people have trees that they don't pick the fruit off of or that have more fruit than they can use.  My city has cherry trees that no one picks from so you'd just need to get permission to use the fruit from the tree in exchange for some of the goods.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change a Needle Light
How to Stem Stitch
How to Baby Cross Stitch
How to Do Needlepoint with Wool
How To Wind The Bobbin On Your Machine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...