A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,725
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etched planter with tut  (Read 2470 times)
Tags for this thread: etched_glass , planter , tutorial , glass_etching  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dawn0684

You know what? It doesn't matter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 18, 2010 01:06:51 PM »

I always wanted to learn how to etch glass but I didn't know how to do it or where to start. So I watched a few youtube videos (isn't youtube great!) and now I've successfully etched my own glass planter. It's not as hard/time consuming as I thought it would be.

First you'll need a few supplies. Something to cut on, x-actor knife, masking tape, glue stick, your glass of choice, picture, etching cream/stuff.

Next you'll take your image (I just found a basic on online and printed it)

You'll need to cut out your picture to make a stencil. I knew I wanted the batman logo to look frosty, so I cut out all the black pieces.

Now I had 3 peices cut out, the black ring, black logo and the white part that was attached to the 2 black pieces.

This was the trickiest part for me, lining the pieces back up on the glass without the 2 black pieces. It took me a few minutes to try and get the pieces to sit right. I used masking tape for the big pieces and then for the white center I used my glue stick to stick it to the glass. ( I forgot to take a picture with the middle glued down, opps)

Then you take your etching cream and brush it over your design. I used a plain old paint brush my husband had laying around in his craft kit. (he has a painting/customizing kit but wont call it a craft kit.. we all know thats what it is though)

Then comes the waiting game, it only takes 5 minutes for the cream to do it's thing, so I set a timer and then took my dogs outside to do their business.

When the timer goes off you take your glass (with the paper still attached) and run it under water. I used room temp. water (not sure if that really matters) and just started rubbing off the cream and the paper with my hand. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of this part too. The paper and cream comes off really easily.

After you finished cleaning the glass you're done. I turned mine into a planter, and you can really see the design because of the dirt on the inside.

C & C Welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 personal swaps
Sherilyn
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010 01:15:16 PM »

Very Cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samara11278

Bride 01/29/2011!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010 05:36:58 PM »

Wow, that is awesome! And soo easy!
I am just going to have to try that now.
And awesome choice on the Batman logo.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Coma
Magic Finding-Lady

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010 06:21:17 PM »

Yours turned out really well:) I didn't know that you could use a paper stencil! I thought the cream would eat through that too! Good to know:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Red Carpet Ready Hair
Unique Parting Tips
Onesta Beautiful Hair Foam Review
How to Create Beach Curl Waves
How to Create a Unique Braid and Messy Bun
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...