A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Forte / Bass - Mega Man character doll (Picture-heavy!)  (Read 4214 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010 01:01:59 PM »

I just wanted to show a project that I completed earlier in the year, if that's ok.

He's a character from Capcom's Mega Man series of video games, and his name is Forte. (He's known outside of Japan as "Bass", but I was introduced to the games via the Japanese versions, so Forte is the name I use. Tongue)

Since he was created by the series' villain Dr. Wily, Forte's not one of the good guys, but since he's a rebellious fellow he's not strictly one of the bad guys, either - he's something of an anti-hero (and he has a complex about losing in fights!).

He was entirely hand-sewn, and took two years to complete, because I wanted to make sure that he was as perfect as I could possibly make him. Here's how he came out;

Front view, sitting. CD shown for size reference. You can see the jets (the red things) that are set into the soles of his boots quite well, here.

Front view, standing. There's two pictures here because, again, I included a CD to give the viewer an idea of his size. He really wasn't happy about that doll-stand jabbing his belly like that. Tongue

A side view, which shows off his helmet-fins a bit, as well as the audio-receptors on the sides of his helmet, and some other details.

A back view, showing off his helmet-fins again, as well as his neck, and the way the back of his armour looks.

I used almost fifty pieces of reference artwork whilst making him, a tiny selection of which you can see below. Since the character has been around for some years, not all of the official artwork depicting him is 100% consistent with each other, as you might expect. To that end, I combined elements from several different "eras" of artwork of him in order to create his final look.

An official profile picture.

The image in the bottom right-hand corner of this collage only became available during the last week or two of me working on him!

Since Forte took such a long time to make, I eventually ended up setting a deadline to finish him by. The date I set was March 24th 2010, which was the fifteenth anniversary of the character's debut. I'm proud to say that I did finish him on that date.

Last of all, here's a picture of Forte with all of the officially-made Rockman/Mega Man dolls that I own;

At the left of the picture are Blues (Proto Man), and a Metool (a common helmet-wearing enemy in the video games), and at the right are Forte's rival, Rockman (Mega Man), Rock's dog Rush, and, peeking over Forte's shoulder, Pharaoh Man (one of the bosses from Mega Man 4). As you can see, he's considerably bigger than all of them - he never did learn his lesson about picking on people (and robots) his own size. Tongue

I hope you all like him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010 01:54:05 PM »

Oh. My. Goodness.
This absolutely rocks!
*clicks button*
eeek!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
DreamChild556

1+2+2+1. That's not six!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010 05:25:28 AM »

That is incredible! The hubbs is a HUGE Megaman fan, and as soon as I saw the first pic in your post (without having read the title), I said, "He's from Megaman!" I wasn't sure which character is was, but I recognize the name. It's gorgeous! I've made the hubbs a Megaman cross-stitch, which he keeps on his computer desk. But it's nowhere near this level of awesomeness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1,2 Freddy's coming for you.
3,4 better lock your door.
5,6 grab your crucifix.
7,8 gonna stay up late.
9,10 never sleep again.
Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010 09:43:32 AM »

Thankyou very, very much, both of you. Smiley I didn't expect him to get such a response!

I have the biggest smile on my face right now. Thankyou, again. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kunoni
can't stay inside the lines..

fly away...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010 03:15:30 PM »

I'm seriously surprised you don't have more replies...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~shine shine shine~
Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010 11:41:01 AM »

Heh, maybe it's because my account is new (though I've been a reader for years)? Ah well, I'm grateful for the replies I have gotten. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BunnieBard
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010 08:02:19 PM »

Oh man. I saw this at work and GASPED SO LOUD and drew a ton of attention to myself.  Embarrassed But who cares: this is lovely wonderfully great. The armor is spot-on (all those color changes! wow!), I looove the face, and...

...those fins! As someone who has crocheted this helmet and made life-size Forte fins, you did such a good job! They're the perfect shape. Do they stay up on their own, or is there some sort of wire in them? I have to use wire for my hats, otherwise they flop around like ridiculous, overgrown bat wings.  Cheesy

I love that last picture, too. So funny. What's up with that Metool plush?? AND GAH! MM7 is really 15 years old? My goodness. The new picture of Bass in your collection, is it art from MM10? I still... haven't beaten that.... hum.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010 08:08:27 PM by BunnieBard » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010 09:30:35 PM »

Oh man. I saw this at work and GASPED SO LOUD and drew a ton of attention to myself.  Embarrassed But who cares: this is lovely wonderfully great. The armor is spot-on (all those color changes! wow!), I looove the face, and...
Thanks VERY much. I'm very surprised to have gotten another reply, so you've made my day. Smiley

I'm especially proud of his face, since I managed to combine a bit of a couple of the art-styles (as highlighted in the collage in my first post) in there - his eyes come from the art for Rockman & Forte, and his cocky smile comes from an image that appears in the instruction leaflet for the arcade board for Rockman: The Power Battle (my digital copy of that was photographed from my own board's paperwork). I think they make a good combination.

It was painstaking work measuring exactly how big, how wide, and how curved his purple "war-paint" markings needed to be in relation to the whites of his eyes, and exactly where they needed to be placed, let me tell you! That took days and a LOT of artwork (my technique for his entire look was "averaging out" the many differing styles he's been drawn in, basically - the face markings are actually one of the few things that were more-or-less consistent almost all of the time).

...those fins! As someone who has crocheted this helmet and made life-size Forte fins, you did such a good job! They're the perfect shape.
Thanks very much, again. Smiley They were the result of a lot of painstaking work sketching and tweaking parts of pieces of official artwork into a form usable to create a three-dimensional doll (in the case of the fins specifically, I printed a large copy of one image at one point, and traced one fin in order to get started, before then tweaking the resulting pattern pieces about a gajillion times until they looked correct in three dimensions). I didn't do this with the entire pattern, but for some parts it gave me a good start.

Do they stay up on their own, or is there some sort of wire in them? I have to use wire for my hats, otherwise they flop around like ridiculous, overgrown bat wings.  Cheesy
They stay up on their own! Originally there was going to be wire in the tops of them because I wasn't sure if they would be able to stand alone, but it prevented the two halves of each fin from sticking together properly, and I had to do an emergency removal of the wire before they began to dry.

I learned a neat trick in the process, here, by looking at the parts of the fins which were beginning to set properly, so I removed the wire, gently pulled the pieces apart, waited for them to dry, and then started over with the gluing the next day.

The trick is this: I "drew" lines with the fabric glue (the brand I use is Impex Original Hi-Tack All Purpose Very Sticky Glue, which is a huge mouthful of a product name - it may only be available in the UK, though, but I highly recommend it nonetheless), to create something of a framework inside of the fins, the result being that it gives the felt enough rigidity in all the right places to keep it standing on its own.

I'll definitely use this trick again, although my current project - a *highly* obscure Mega Man character who most people have never even heard of and who most people never will, for whom I'm using a slightly tweaked version of most of the same pattern - doesn't call for it.

I love that last picture, too. So funny. What's up with that Metool plush??
I'm glad you like it - I had great fun setting up that shot. (I'm particularly fond of the way he seems to be subtly taunting Rock, there. "I'm bigger than you, you annoying Smurf, so don't try anything goodie-goodie.".)

As for the Metool, he's ancient! I obtained him a couple of years ago, and I just love the perpetually surprised expression that he seems to have. From what little information that seems to be out there, as far as I know he's from a very old line of plushes that were seemingly produced at around the time of the release of the first and second of the Game Boy games. There are some others that I know of, including, bizarrely, a pink Metool, and even more oddly, a cute and stubby rendition of what appears to be Sakugarne - the notable thing about many of them is that their colours are incorrect (even though they definitely are official). The Mega Man from that line is... um... Terrifying, though. Woe betide you should you ever set eyes on it.

AND GAH! MM7 is really 15 years old? My goodness.
Yep. Cheesy

The new picture of Bass in your collection, is it art from MM10? I still... haven't beaten that.... hum.
It is, yes. There's another one, too. They were both snagged from here. I have to say that 10 quickly became one of my favourite games in the entire series - I love it. (In my view it's certainly much better than 9, which I always felt had some very flawed - and in some places, especially towards the end, downright bad - design in some of its stages.)

Thanks very much for your kind comments, again, and thanks for giving me the opportunity to talk a little more about what went into making Forte. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010 09:39:20 PM by Mega Crafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BunnieBard
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010 09:10:01 PM »

Oh yes, you had all the same problems I did!  Cheesy I also cut a fin out of paper, then crochted that shape in black... but then I couldn't sew it on with the right kind of curve, so I had no keep re-doing the whole thing... And I still HATE and am TERRIBLE at cutting out the orange felt for the undersides. Crochet is so... stretchy, it's hard to get an accurate trace of it, and even then I keep tweaking/nipping off pieces until it's too small and unusable. Buh.

That is the silliest name for glue I have ever heard. I assume by "lines" you mean vertical lines? I usually hot-glue my felt to my crochet, which isn't stiff at all. Crochet is heavier than felt, too, so I might just get some lightweight floral wire or something....

Next project, hm? I doubt you could out-obscure me.  Wink Off the top of my head, the most obscure main-ish character I can think of is... erm... Quint or Plum?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mega Crafter
Mega Man Maniac

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010 02:39:38 AM »

That is the silliest name for glue I have ever heard. I assume by "lines" you mean vertical lines?
By lines, I mean following around the outside of the felt, almost as if drawing an outline, and then drawing another line parallel to that, and so on and so forth, before adding vertical lines between them. If you've ever seen the framework of an old aircraft in a museum or suchlike, it's rather like that, but with glue. I suppose you could also liken it to a spider-web, too. Tongue

Next project, hm? I doubt you could out-obscure me.  Wink
Haha, wanna bet? Cheesy

Off the top of my head, the most obscure main-ish character I can think of is... erm... Quint or Plum?
Not nearly obscure enough! Wink I won't spoil it, though - I'll be posting it here when it's finished, which shouldn't take enormously long now.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010 02:43:22 AM by Mega Crafter » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Sequins Like a Boss
How to Look White Hot in White Denim
Trend Report - Prints
DIY Cut-Out T-Shirt
DIY Painted Pumps
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...