A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WIP Wednesday 8/18 - Show off your in progress knitting projects here!  (Read 1485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lapoli
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2010 11:40:25 AM »

No one kill me--still nothing new on the needles.  I've hit a wall. 

Striker - did you finish your sweater??? We want pictures!!  Lime - have you kitchnered that sock yet?Huh?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bminks

dum spiro spero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010 01:34:43 PM »

I won't kill you, I've gone months without knitting myself C:.

I have been working on this DROPS waistcoat for the past two weeks. It's been slow going, but the yarn is from a shirt I was trying to knit and had to scrap twice, so I'm making sure I get it right this time.

Yarn is Sirdar Snuggly baby bamboo, forget which color. I just took some photos really quick with my phone since I didn't want to tear the house down searching for the camera.

Close up:

the pattern, in case anyone is curious:
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=118&d_id=13&lang=us
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010 02:01:18 PM »

Lapoli- no worries!! You have a baby on the way with lots of busy stuff to go with that! So don't fret, in fact, it'll just build up the anticipation of when you get back on those needles  Wink

Bminks- cute waistcoat! I really like most of the Drops patterns, but I've put off because of the patterns...they don't seem very clearly written.  The yarn you're using is super pretty! Very bright! Do you have a specific shirt/dress you are planning to wear it with?

I have finished my cardigan!  Grin  It's currently blocking...it took me a long time to do the picot crochet edging.  But anyway, here is a shot of it blocking:

And detail of the picot edging on the sleeve:

I did the pin and spritz method with this.  Usually I prefer wetblocking, but I was a little concerned with the large silk content in my yarn to do that.  Then I was thinking I could try the steam blocking method instead, but was worried about the large amount of bamboo content, so pin and spritz it was.

This is my WIP for the week, my deliciously clown-barfy Kai-Meis!

They are less blue and more of a greenish tinge than the picture shows.  The yarn is Plymouth Happy Feet, color 21.  I guess I've learned my lesson: just because the colors look good in the hank, doesn't mean they look that great knit up...oh well.  They should be a fun pair of socks, nonetheless  Cheesy  I also think I'm going to cast on to make a Citron this weekend. I've got some Malabrigo Lace in the olive colorway just waiting to be a cute shawlette!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lapoli

Catching the Undead Since 2011!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010 05:00:33 PM »

bminks - I love the color you've chosen! I hope you'll be sharing finished pictures with us soon.

Striker - Wow!!! I am so excited to see action shots of your cardigan.  It looks absolutely gorgeous!!!  I thought you had mentioned you weren't going to bother with the picot edging.. I guess you changed your mind? (Or I have a faulty memory?) 

And I don't think your Kai-Meis are clown-barfy at all. I've seen much worse!  Have you ever taken a look at Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn?  I love the patterns in there and it's been really helpful to help find the right type of patterns for all my strange sock yarns.  Cheesy

I do feel really lazy that I haven't been knitting that much.  I have a giant project that I need to finish in the next two weeks... AND, those two ishbels/multnomahs that I had "planned" aren't going to happen, I don't think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010 05:22:43 PM »

bminks - I love the color you've chosen! I hope you'll be sharing finished pictures with us soon.

Striker - Wow!!! I am so excited to see action shots of your cardigan.  It looks absolutely gorgeous!!!  I thought you had mentioned you weren't going to bother with the picot edging.. I guess you changed your mind? (Or I have a faulty memory?) 

And I don't think your Kai-Meis are clown-barfy at all. I've seen much worse!  Have you ever taken a look at Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn?  I love the patterns in there and it's been really helpful to help find the right type of patterns for all my strange sock yarns.  Cheesy

I do feel really lazy that I haven't been knitting that much.  I have a giant project that I need to finish in the next two weeks... AND, those two ishbels/multnomahs that I had "planned" aren't going to happen, I don't think.

Nope, you are totally right, I wasn't planning on doing them.  The thought of picking up and doing the picot bind off made me sick.  The edges (because of the stockinette) were curling up something fierce, so I figured I would give the crochet picot edging a whirl, since I just recently taught myself crochet.  It does help stabilize the edges a bit. So I kind of decided to just suck it up with the frilly picots, lol.  I still have to figure out what I'm going to do for the cord.

Thanks for the encouragement about the socks.  They definitely look better in real life than in the picture.  Knitting Socks with Handpainted yarn is actually towards the top of my queue of knitting books I want because the handpainted yarns are so GORGEOUS!  Good to hear you recommend it!

I don't think you're being lazy at all! Hey, if the urge to knit isn't there, well it just isn't there.  Every time I have deadline knitting, I too feel stressed about it and end up not wanting to knit.  Is this the washcloths you were doing? Or another big project?  As far as the shawls go, don't fret! You are only human, not a knitting machine, lol.  I'm sure you could think of a thoughtful non-knitted gift for those two you were gifting the shawls too.  Whatever happens, good luck! I'm also going to send some mental knitting mojo to you, just in case  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010 08:58:10 PM »

what is this pattern?! its so beautiful. and the color is so so so amazing.  props to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010 09:02:10 PM »

Kitchner status...unchanged. It's kind of getting embarrassing. I'm working on a couple of cowls right now. I started one for a swap and then remembered (half-way through it) that my partner is allergic to wool. Duh. I'm going to finish it off and wear it myself though!

lapoli - don't feel lazy! You'll get in the knitting zone again. Until then, you're doing a great job of keeping us all motivated Smiley. I went a full 6 months without knitting a couple of years ago. The bug just wasn't biting me at the time.  

bminks - that waistcoat looks so lovely! The lace is divine and the color is SO gorgeous. It's one of my favorite shades and will be perfect for the fall.

striker - I was just stalking you on Ravelry because I wanted to see the status of your cardigan and forgot that it was WIP Wednesday over here Smiley. It's looking so very fantastic. I just know it's going to look incredible on you.

Thanks for the tip on the book. I love handpainted yarn so much - of course, my sock success rate isn't very high right now (or ever for that matter)  Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Kittymom13
Right @ Home on Craftster:

Meow...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010 09:55:37 PM »

first time posting here...I've usually got something being knitted...I'll have to get in the habit of having a photo to post.  I finished my first sock...I didn't mess it up!!  It has been like my third/fourth attempt.  The second one is started.  The kitchner wasn't as bad as I'd feared thanks to Utube!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
striker923

Rogues do it from behind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010 06:54:07 AM »

first time posting here...I've usually got something being knitted...I'll have to get in the habit of having a photo to post.  I finished my first sock...I didn't mess it up!!  It has been like my third/fourth attempt.  The second one is started.  The kitchner wasn't as bad as I'd feared thanks to Utube!! 

You should definitely take pics and join us on WIP Wednesday!  The more the merrier Smiley  Congrast on your first pair of socks! It does get addicting...graftin g/kitchener stitch is acutally not so bad once you get the hang of it.  I always do mine pretty loose and then tighten it up afterwards.

what is this pattern?! its so beautiful. and the color is so so so amazing.  props to you!

My sweater pattern is Giselle and you can purchase it at StitchDivaStudios.c om.  I would read some Rav projects first though before buying...many people have had problems with fit.  I've tried to overcome this by choosing a yarn that has some structure (instead of the 100% silk the pattern calls for) and choosing a smaller size (to stretch over the body) than usual and adding drape in the blocking step.  It also has several options: an all knit version or the knit/crochet version.  If you do decide to knit it, the pattern can be kind of confusing, but if you've done top down raglans before, this one shouldn't be too out of reach  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bminks

dum spiro spero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010 06:48:36 AM »

thanks for the compliments,  everyone!

Striker- Your cardigan is amazing! I love everything about it!

The drops patterns are really confusing, I had to reword this one 3 or 4 times before I felt comfortable casting on! I don't have a plan for an outfit yet, but my wardrobe has similar enough colors that it should be easy to pair it off with a few things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mashiro
How to Draw Maruga
Artist Depicts What Wi-Fi Signals Would Look Like With Photos
How to Draw Lucy Eyes
How to Draw Luchia Nanami
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...