A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
513 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CLOSED: Granny-A-Day SEPT - starting 9/1 - 9/30/2010  (Read 12229 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2010 10:18:10 AM »

Granny-A-Day SEPT

Granny-A-Day crochetalongs for April, May, June, July & August have been quite successful!
August:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=355101.0
July:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351030.0
June:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=347853.0
May:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=344887.0
April:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=340946.0

Who wants to granny in SEPTEMBER? So if you missed the APRIL or MAY or JUNE  or JULY or AUGUST ones or you have a big project to continue join us in SEPTEMBER! We will begin SEPTMEBER 1st!

This is basically a motivation crochetalong. If you want to work on a granny square, motif, one huge granny square blanket, this is a great way to set aside time everyday to get some serious work completed in an attainable amount of time.

People have come up with some really neat uses for grannys too! Different bags and blankets, shopping sack holder, slippers, scarves, a nifty pullover etc. I have made 7" grannys and after a month I have 30 squares that make a perfect size throw blanket. I think everyone is getting a granny square throw for Christmas this year.

If you are intrested and would like to join we would love to see your work! Post pics of progress and then the finished product! It would be great if everyone could post progress weekly (but not required). At the end of the month we can piece together our work and show off our afghans and Inga bags and whatever else you can come up with to make with nifty grannies! (Must post a completed project in this thread.)

granny square links:
This one has a ton of different squares (crochet & knit) & some ways to connect them all:
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/grannies.html

Granny Tute:
http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/granny_square.htm
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010 08:11:53 AM by BabyCakes8510 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

onecraftybean

I sew, crochet and knit...a little.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010 01:58:49 PM »

Is there a granny-square that you would specifically recommend to beginners (like me)?
I'd love to make a blanket but all the granny-squares I've found are either very VERY granny-like or a bit above my level.
What about the ones in the picture?
Looking forward to this!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beginning of school year resolutions: Granny-square blanket, scarf for the man, swimsuit bottoms, better organization for crafting supplies, computer case of some kind, 2 amigurumi and a pair of underwear.
K8iSGR8
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010 09:18:55 PM »

I am still quite new to both crocheting and craftster, but I would love to join this. I don't know if I just... say I want to join, and I'm included or what? I also did a granny square blanket in the month of August, can I be included in the August crochet along? Sorry for being such a newb. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm only pretending to be crafty,.. hopefully one day I'll get it right Tongue

www.knot2witty.blogspot.com
pollyprissypants

I'll bet you ride a Schwinn, Schwinnrider!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010 05:01:51 PM »

I am still quite new to both crocheting and craftster, but I would love to join this. I don't know if I just... say I want to join, and I'm included or what? I also did a granny square blanket in the month of August, can I be included in the August crochet along? Sorry for being such a newb. Smiley

Welcome to both (and you too, onecraftybean!)! If BabyCakes8510 doesn't mind me answering your questions, then I'll answer them both with a resounding yes! Easy as pie, huh? I'm doing the August granny-a-day as my first crochet along, and I'm going to continue in September. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollyprissypants

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010 05:07:54 PM »

Is there a granny-square that you would specifically recommend to beginners (like me)?
I'd love to make a blanket but all the granny-squares I've found are either very VERY granny-like or a bit above my level.
What about the ones in the picture?
Looking forward to this!  Smiley

I'd check youtube for tutorials (oh, the free wonder of youtube!). I've seriously learned about a zillion new crochet stitches by youtubing it (I just searched for giggles, using 'how to crochet a granny square for beginners', and got a ton of hits). Crazy, huh? The granny I do most often is what I think of as the traditional granny (which are actually the ones in the pictures). They're pretty easy, and you should be able to pick it up in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

K8iSGR8
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010 10:35:10 PM »

Thank you so much PollyPrissyPants Smiley Count me in!!!
Although, my squares aren't the usual granny squares, I don't know where I picked up my pattern, but I love the ones in the picture above. I'm going to try those ones for the Sept version.

I love this crochet along. Smiley thank you so much BabyCakes8510 for keeping me inspired Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm only pretending to be crafty,.. hopefully one day I'll get it right Tongue

www.knot2witty.blogspot.com
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010 08:17:46 AM »

thank you Polly! Welcome to the world of granny-a-days!

The ones in the picture look to me like a basic granny square with color changes in them. SO it should be easy for a beginner if you are comfortable with switching yarn and weaving ends. Def search online for videos. Thats how I learn new stitches!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010 11:04:37 PM »

Ill bite, yet again! lol (I'm such an addict).. I was thinking about making a hexagon blankie this time around, scrap centers and white borders. This should be tons of fun! Here are my pattern ideas:

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2008/11/hexagon-crochet.html
http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/2007/08/j-is-for.html

Its the same pattern, but the instructions are done in 3 dif ways, in case anyone has any issues following along. Good luck everyone! *smiles*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pollyprissypants

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010 07:59:29 AM »

Its the same pattern, but the instructions are done in 3 dif ways, in case anyone has any issues following along. Good luck everyone! *smiles*

Ooooh, thanks! I've been crocheting for about five years now, and have yet to learn how to read a pattern. That was actually my big summer project, trying to learn how to decipher the gibberish. I've been wanting to do hexagons for quite awhile now, and this looks pretty easy. WOO! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lbean
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010 05:14:02 PM »

I just got back into crochet. I would love to take part in septembers granny a day
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Free Agent Book Trailer
Doug Magee Talks About Never Wave Goodbye
City of Glass Book Trailer
Monte Reel Talks About The Last of the Tribe
Rachel Renee Russell Talks About Dork Diaries II
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...