A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,991
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Tween Girl Mad Hatter Costume  (Read 4431 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abelletobehold
mama of three little fairies

Smile God Loves You

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010 03:32:23 AM »

While I have sewn a few things in the past (a few pillows etc.) this is the first project I have made from scratch no pattern and no rules it came straight from my noggin and I am pretty proud of how it turned out Smiley So here's the story. My younger daughter loves Alice In Wonderland (the book) so when we saw a trailer for the new movie she knew she wanted to have an Unbirthday Tea Party/ movie screening even though the movie was to come out in March and her birthday was in October she waited 6 long months to have her first friends birthday party with her Kindergarten class. And with that I decided to make costumes for her & her older sister. My fave was my eldest daughter's Mad Hatter Costume. I made the skirt by cutting strips from 4 different fabrics then using all kinds of crazy stitches I sewed them together I was very casual about the stitching as I wanted a rough look to it then I used elastic to gather the fabric I had made of the strips I left the edges rough for a crazy look then using a flannel backed snakeskin type fabric I constructed a bustier top using her as my mannequin (poor girl lol) then I constructed a belt using flannel backed rubber like checker fabric I sewed really funky buttons on the side this was primarily to cover the gap between the skirt and the bustier.  For the hat I used a disposable plastic cup as a pattern for the hat itself the base I traced the rim of the same cup and I adore the result it was the perfect size for the steampunk style I was going for I then cut the pattern from sticky backed felt which I then adhered the same rubbery check fabric I used for the belt I used a scrap piece of fabric left from the skirt for the green band I used hotglue to construct the hat and slipped in a peacock feather and a stick pin in the side for added drama.

For reference:
- All Fabric,felt,lace & the feather were purchased at Hobby Lobby
- Leggings were purchased at Target
- Jacket was purchased at DKNY
- Gauntlets were purchased at Claires
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010 05:42:47 AM by photojenn - Reason: fixed images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010 06:20:19 AM »

That's very cute. I especially like the hat Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
iheartcheese

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010 01:24:28 PM »

Very fun!  Good work  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may not have gone where I intended, but I have ended up where I needed to be.
PentapodMonster
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010 03:40:58 PM »

I would have been so ecstatic to have a costume like that at her age! Both of them look so cute in their costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Trend: Blue Eye Shadow
Birchbox July 2014: Sneak Peek Part One
The 5-Minute Beauty Routine
6 Things You Have to Do Before Any Getaway
5 Life Changing Tips to Keep Hydrated
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...