A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making this awkward fitted tank top bigger? (IMG heavy)  (Read 3617 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vicky Violence
« on: August 17, 2010 07:27:07 AM »

Okay so first of all, it's been a while since I posted here and the forums just keep getting bigger and more complicated so if this is placed in the wrong subforum, or I'm doing anything wrong, super sorry in advance  Cheesy

On to the business: I have this awesome tank top from ASOS that I barely ever wear (read: I've had it for about 8 months, worn it once, maybe twice) because I hate the fit. It's flowy and loose on top with low cut armholes (awesome) but clingy and tight in the tummy/hip area.

To demonstrate awesomeness:

So, I want to somehow make this top bigger, without screwing up the graphic. I came up with a few different solutions and drew them out for you because I suck at explaining things.

a.
I thought I'd cut out a square in the back, under the bit where my brastrap should be, then insert half of what you'd call a circle skirt for extra flow.

b.
Make a slit, then insert a triangular shaped patch of fabric, or some pretty lacey stuffs.

c.
Do two slits on the sides, and insert triangular shaped patch of fabric.

My main concern (besides just screwing the whole thing up  Cheesy) is that the front will look very stiff and boxy, instead of having a nice flow, and a bit of an empire line to it.
I don't really care what the back looks like, as long as the front isn't boxy and shapeless, I'm fine with any of these three options or some other kind of solution.
Suggestions? Comments?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010 09:08:42 AM by Vicky Violence » THIS ROCKS   Logged

false intentions and a life so  pretentious
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010 08:50:16 AM »

I really like b. with the lacey bits. I think I would do an insert of lace over a triangle of black fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

STS Shop

Etsy shop
aedara
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010 11:43:01 AM »

I love A, but I think B's your best bet for getting what you want and having the best finish.  Great illustrations btw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop - Child of Glum
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Aedara
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010 12:29:05 PM »

I like B, with lace fabric.   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010 06:02:15 PM »

I'm partial to A because you can do some really interesting cutting! If you cut the back in sort of a teardrop with the narrow end at the bottom, you'll preserve almost the whole hemline. Then you can literally insert ANY shape of fabric you want and get some really neato effects. Depending on how insane you wanna go, you could cut a big circle (like two feet wide) and gather just one half of the circumference to fit the cutout, giving you a semi-circular back hem and some really interesting draping effects. I mention this because it's a technique I'd like to try myself and I think this project has some awesome potential for using it. Maybe try it on a different top first and see how you like the effect.

Otherwise, I think a gathered trapezoid of lace inserted into the back would be awesome, like in B. To keep things flowy, make sure the fabric you add is as lightweight or lighter than the tank top fabric.

Oh, yes, and I too adore the floral ram skulls Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vicky Violence
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010 09:57:15 AM »

Thanks guys  Cheesy

Alexus: I actually thought about funky draping effects as well! But the fabric of the top feels very fragile so I don't want to put too much weight in the back. I'll probably go with a lace insert in the back, mostly because it's such a light material (but also for prettiez, of course  Grin)

If anyone else has any tips ideas or advice feel free to share though, as I probably won't get around actually starting the little project for another few weeks  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

false intentions and a life so  pretentious
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010 10:08:28 AM »

Like Alexus said, you might want to try whatever you decide on another top, before you cut into your precious one!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft Apple Balloons
How to Craft Duct Tape Flip-Flops
How to Craft Apple Stamps
How to Craft a Turkey Gourd Thanksgiving Centerpiece
How to Craft a Large Paper Apple Tree
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...