A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,749
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: pieced duvet cover  (Read 858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyDiem
« on: August 16, 2010 03:40:51 PM »

I'm considering making a down comforter cover that is pieced.  I'm not sure if then I should line it or Huh?  Anyone have any experience or more able to think these things through to their logical conclusion?  It would be appreciated.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
JTravis10
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010 05:31:22 PM »

Hi There:

I was told by a wise quilt instructor that it likely couldn't be done.  The problem is in the many pieces and 1/4 inch seams, that will literally fall apart without being tightly grounded by the quilting and batting.  I think if you were going to make one, you would somehow have to make the duvet cover like a thin quilt itself (sort of like a quilted pillow), but then this would become quite heavy.  Good luck, and if you are able to figure something out that works, let me know. 

Jack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krw1243
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010 06:25:22 PM »

I wonder if you quilted to a backing with no batting in between if that would be sturdy enough? Any thoughts on that as a possibility Jack? Or does the batting itself somehow lend stability that just quilting two pieces of cotton together would not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010 08:15:19 PM »

KRW has it right. If you want to do it the easy way, basically, you want an intermediate layer in order to keep fraying, etc from happening. You can lightly quilt it to the top in the ditch just to keep it together, so that it'll have a duvet-y feel without the heavy quilting that would appear otherwise. (This would be a place to use... well, not the cheapest muslin, but close to it. You wouldn't need batting or anything. Smiley

What you'd do is piece the top, then put an underlay to it (and I'd probably do this pocket style) and quilt or tie those two together, *then* attach a back, overcasting the seam all the way around. (note: You do not want the back to be pieced as well - this is the time to go for the good wide fabric.

If you are really desperate to only do it with two layers, you *can* quilt using a serger. It's a wider seam allowance (keep that in mind when picking patterns, and adjust sizes accordingly) but it'll overcast *everywhere* and keep the fraying and the falling apart to a bare minimum. This adds a lot more weight than you'd think, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyDiem
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010 12:35:17 PM »

A thin piece of fabric lining is kind of what I was thinking would have to happen.  And of course, only the highest quality!  Smiley

At this point it's hypothetical since it's about 8 projects down the road!  I really appreciate the tips and advice and may try to come up with something different altogether. 

And I do have a serger, but I've never learned how to use it.  It's rather intimidating with all those places for thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
anaximander
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010 07:12:47 AM »

The hardest thing about a serger is setting it up the first time. The threading and tension are the tricky bits - after that it's *super* easy, and works really well for projects for kids, where you want a lot of stability. It works really well for maintaining even seams, too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Prepare Fried Chicken Breast
Learn how to Prepare Onion Carbonara
Learn How to Prepare a Romantic Meal
Learn how to Cook a Whole Roasted Chili Rub Chicken
Learn how to Make Glazed Baby Back Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...