A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
341 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Got some ideas for a strange bedroom? At wit's end! *lots of pics*  (Read 4761 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 16, 2010 03:57:45 AM »

I'm almost 24, still living with my parents, and so far no plans of moving out. It's way too expensive in Belgium to buy/hire a place for just one person, and I still haven't got a decent job. Plus, we have a great relationship, we love to be together, so no problems there.

On the other hand, it is getting difficult. My mum and I get along, but we have our moments. She goes berserk over stuff in het living that is not hers. Yep, even my dad's stuff isn't allowed there. To avoid endless discussions, and stuff missing (mum even throws it out) I end up taking everything that belongs to me to my bedroom. This has been going on for your years, to the point where I actually don't feel at home in the living room anymore, because all my stuff is so quickly removed. Agreed, I get to keep some things there, and I am slightly messy, but still...
For years, I have been fighting the mess in my (rather small) room, but I'm at wit's end now. I have even made some pictures, because I am beyond the point of shame, I just want help. I have literally everything up here:
My jigsaws from when I was little, that I wanted to keep, but that HAD to move upstairs to be saved.
Tons of books, half of the collection technically not mine...
Small amounts of food (don't like that, but had to).
Dance stuff (Irish dancer). It isn't much, but heck!
Personal clothing (drawer is overflowing).
Tons of university stuff (that I have to keep close, because I'm a teacher myself now).
Crafting stuff (and I want to do so much what that stuff)

I understand that this stuff is mine, and that I have a bedroom. I don't really blame mum, but too much is too much. Everything downstairs is mum's. Dad once emptied some shelfs in the garage, for each child, but mum just threw everything in there, and now it's a complete mess too. Mum also is the only one with a desk downstairs (dad had a brilliant idea for a crazy shaped desk, with room for them both, as he is a teacher too, but mum said no), and only her stuff belongs there. Dad wants to change the garagde into a crafting room for as all, but he isn't allowed... Dad works with wood, brother is a table top gamer, I want to learn how to sew and my sister loves to paint all sorts of stuff. *sigh*

Part of my problem is the shape of my bedroom. Really, it's the shape of the house, but I got the worst part :p. We live in a pyramid. Yep, we really do. Want to see?

This is our house. Guess where my bedroom is... Right up there, in the top part! Technically the attic too...

Don't get me wrong, I love my house, and my bedroom, but the shape of it... Well, let me tell you, it's not ideal. Our house is big! Grond floor of 11m2, first floor with four rooms, and an attic plus my room (it's one room, dad made a wall, but yeah). The walls are not extremely steep. I mean, we don't walk crook all the time :p. But's it is problematic in my room. I have one, artificial, vertical wall in my room, which is used up completely by a bookcase unit. That unit is filled with books that belong to my dad... Youth books, but still, his books. I don't blame him, at all, because he too was a 'victim' of mum. But it sure limites my space, let me tell you. Want to see that too? I have no shame, so there I go!

As you can see, I have two rows of books on the shelfs. I cannot take a front shot of the unit, because the room is too small, but if I could, you would see that she shelfs are actually bending. Ever so slightly, but bending! The books in front are really mine. The shelf where you can see Miffy, is one row that also belongs to me (kicked some books out) and the right upper shelf are mine too. That shelf was empty when I started, ten years ago, but you see... I love books, and I cannot help but buy them. I really don't want to be held back by my room, but that trully happens. I go to the library too, and I cannot even store the books that I pick up there. I end up throwing them somewhere and they get lost (oh, the bills).

This is a side shot from the bookunit, and a view of my bed. The cd unit is a new addition, one I begged for. I only have one for this one Benno (Ikea anyone? :p), and it's almost full. The rocking chair was a birthday gift three years ago, because I wanted it so badly, but it is always covered up. If I want to use if, I have to throw everything on the bed, and change afterwards... *shiver* I feel so icky now... The strange wooden thing you see, with the blue/greenish bag on, is my personal clothing space. One day, mum decided that I had to many clothes and I have to throw a lot of stuff out. The stuff on the wooden thing is mostly fantasy dressing, or historical. No room in the closet, until I clean it out. But when I do, she is pissed because I throw perfectly good stuff out... Oh, I love it... The three drawers that you see are to no use. Imagine a A4 paper, regular size. They don't fit, unless you turn them sideways. That's a lot of room in that drawer lost... So I use the upper one for photographs (I really want to fit them in a book, but that's another extra book!), the middle one for clothing and blankies (corset, satin gloves, shawl,...) and the lower one for... junk... Old binders really, that I cannot throw about, because they are still okay. *aaaargh!*
You know, my younger brother used to dump his stuff in my sister's room, until she would get rid of it. I never did it, but I so regret it now!

End of the bed... I have no heating, so I use this electric thing. Awful, let me tell you. Under the stereo, craft storage! These pictures are a bit old, but I recently bought a plastic boc for all the yarn. Overflowing now, alas... The wooden shelfs are from Ikea, but although I love them, I cannot seem to use it. One drawer holds future embroidery projects. One for patterns then? And what about the small ones? I never learned how to organise myself, although if angered my parents that I was so messy, so it's hard to change an old habit. When I made this picture, I had some room for candles, you see. That's gone too... *really wants to cry now*
The plastic bags shattered on the ground hold other projects, or just stuff that I cannot store away. Fun!

The desk... What you see in that picture is a clean desk, for me! It's horrendous now... I can't keep a clean surface clean, for whatever reason. As you can see, I have several stuff to store papers. But I cannot use them... I have a collection of some magazines, and they are so heavy that they even broke one of the plastic shelfs, making them bend. I do have a new computer now, desktop, so less space for my legs, but it doesn't change anything. Oh yes, it does, I get to hide some stuff behind the screen...
Literally everything is on that desk. Uni stuff, craft stuff, handkerchiefs, yarn, books, stuffed animals, dvds, you name it, it's there... My clutter is an organised mess, but it is a mess nonetheless. The drawers in the desk, same f*cking story. Too small for everything, and falling apart. One drawer is currently closed, yet open, because the front came off... I don't even use the drawers on a daily basis. Because they are small, and because they are filled with stuff from my past. Oh, I threw away tons when I moved here, but still... After all, there is always stuff you want to keep, but cannot store, yes? *please, yes?* I use every horizontal surface for storage, because I just don't know where to put it anymore... *brother has to drawers UNDER the bed, very jealous of that*

'Door' to the attic. I used on old sheet, because cold came from that room into my carefully heated room. It looks insane... Door is made out of cardboard, yay. Here you can also see that the cd unit is pretty full now, because I keep old cds that I don't listen too, but what to do with old cds?!

The dreadful corner... *crawls away in shame*
This is one unuseful corner of my room. The book unit there is filled with comics. Huge fans, we. I don't mind having them there, because part of the collection is indeed mine. But the unit makes the corner too small to actually use. When I first started here, that corner held an old tv, for the Nintendo and Sega (old school!). That tv is gone, game units are still there (where would we put them, it's an attic, no? *shakes head*). Blue boxes hold uni stuff I actually had three of those, filled to the top, but I managed to reduce it to two. One is in the garden shed, filled with books. The bean bag is gone from my room, not yet from the house. The black cabinet is my altar (I'm a witch). I don't use it that often *oh, the shame and the guilt* because of the mess in front of the cabinet. Plus, my messy room doesn't really inspire me anymore. I want to write a proper book, but I hate it here (sometimes). I already use an extra shoe box for pagan stuff, because the cabinet holds my pagan books. Plus clothes (oh yeah), incense, candles, you name it...
On top of the book uni, you can see my main reason for anger. All stuff that I HAD to bring upstairs, while mum fully well knew that I didn't have the room for that... A microscope and a Make Your Own Mosaic Set. Gifts that I never used (ungrateful, you know the deal) and that I thus had to take with me. I have quite a collection of holders for waxine lights, but no room, so they gather dust up the unit.

I'm ranting, I know that very well, and I wonder if anyone will ever get through all these amounts of text. But, really, I'll say it again, I'm lost and to the point where my room depresses me. I love to be here, because it's MY personal space, but it's too much. Every few months, I get the heebies, and I clean like crazy, but it is never really clean. I keep hiding stuff, putting is somewhere where I know that it will be a bother. But because of the lack of space, that's all I can do.

So, here's the deal... Inspire me! The main problem in my room are the walls. I cannot just bang some shelfs against the walls, because the are not straight! I was wondering if some of you are so creative to find me a solution... I'm willing to throw a lot out, but there is a lot I want to  keep. Yesterday I made a not with stuff that need (that I would love to have): storage for important papers (I'm about to start working life, so I need something), a crafting box, a box for junk, a small box for medication. But then I realised that more boxes won't help me, because I cannot even store the boxes... Maybe I just wanted to whine, and you don't know what to do... Oh well, I had my say, I'm just curious if there's anyone willing to play Clean House with me :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010 04:33:39 AM »

Hi!
I know you dont want/cant afford to move out but have you considered shared accomadation?
It can be great fun to have your own place, I mean really great fun!
Ok if that is really not an option, I would have a clean out of anything that does not suit your current lifestyle, regardless of wether it was a gift or not.
Your 24 soon , lets get your room to reflect that.
If you want to hang on to some things for sentimental sake, get a large trunk with a lock, and store everything in that, in the garage.
Personally I would paint the entire space white, or a similar pale colour.
Your furnature is all pale so it would make the space look bigger.
That corner of shame, I would clean out for your wiccan items, that seems like a nice niche type space.
Could you build your bed up higher and make slidy drawers to go underneath?
Or buy a bed like your brothers?
Dont know if thats any help, but good luck what ever you choose to do!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010 07:43:05 AM »

I understand how you're feeling - I'm not in the same situation, but I am a terrible hoarder. I think you just have to get really stern with yourself and decide what you really want in your room - and maybe take out anything that isn't yours. I understand that your mum doesn't like a mess, but it seems a bit unfair that she won't let your dad convert the garage - maybe you all need to get together and impress on her that you all really need to do this?

I don't really know what you can do for storage on the sloping walls, maybe you could fix hooks on the walls that you could hang bags from? Not much good for paper, but might be useful for soft things?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
margiej
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010 07:16:21 PM »

I've been giving this some thought today, and I think you have some options.  Raise the bed on Risers and use either drawers or boxes that slide under it for storage.  If you dad would make you a platform for your bed that would help a lot, or just raise it up with bricks, blocks, buckets, whatever.  You can use a storage bag on the door, either one of the clear plastic ones or make a fabric one like a shoe storage bag.  What about using the outside of the door also?  Do you reach your room by a stairway?  What sort of storage could you put up in that area?  Shelves, or wall organizer bags, etc might work.  Do you have access to the type of plastic storage bags that you pull the air out with a vacuum?  They are useful for storing out of season clothing and bedding, etc. I don't know if they are available in your country, but you can order them online I'm sure.  Of course, the obvious solution is to purge a lot of things, but I know sometimes we feel like we have given up all we can, and are not willing to part with more.  You also can hang things from your ceiling, although the angle problem is difficult I'm sure, and dangling things can be distracting. Perhaps you can transfer some of your school papers etc onto computer disc to save space.   Good luck with it.  Please let us know how you are changing things.  I wish postage wasn't so high, or I'd make you some organizer bags and send them.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010 01:04:28 AM »

I know this is a child's room, but this might be an idea for storage on walls/doors: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=356821.msg4178765#msg4178765
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucyravenscar.etsy.com
lucyravenscar.blogspot.com
lucyravenscar.tumblr.com
querencia
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010 01:11:25 PM »

you could rip the cds to mp3s and not have the cds around...

scan papers that you don't need hard copies of...

new bed/put existing bed on risers to have storage space underneath...

it might help to try and set up zones for different activities.. study/work  crafting music clothing/costumes.. because it looks like right now everything is allll spread out and chaotic.. if you sort it by type/activity you might at least be able to get a better idea of what you have too much of or what kind of storage you need for it.. and to let you tackle it area by area rather than being overwhelmed with a single small room that needs to contain your entire life. the thought overwhelms ME Smiley  hope you find something that works for you though because it's hard to be unhappy and stressed with your environment.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010 12:32:46 PM »

Uh, Not a really crafty solution, but you can rent a storage box for a great rate at one of those big storage depots. You could store all your and your dad's childhood memorabilia in a small one. My boyfriend and I rent a small one(1,5 m2) here in Amsterdam, and even here it's affordable. The storages are cheaper in less prime areas.
And even though the floor space in ours is tiny (1,5 m2) our storage is 4 m high! lot's of space for boxes, boxes and boxes. We've go 20 moving boxes in there allready and space for more. You could even convince your siblings or dad to split the costs and your mum could not get to the stuff in a pruging frenzy!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
Riechan
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010 11:13:54 AM »

hmm tough one ... and that shape isn't working either...
You can take boxes, lay them on their side and attach a rope to hang them from your walls, than you have shelves Smiley
Higher your bed so you can put things under (I have no idea how but I think the previous comments will help)
I'd use your door as an organizer too, there are some lovely organizer items on craftster like this one: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=65121.0

(from a fellow Belgian Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
MissLegend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010 12:44:37 AM »

So adorable!!!! You got one pretty model for all of your future creations for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissJessica
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010 07:13:17 AM »

You have a lot of limitations, but a lot of potential too. I agree with what others have said about painting the walls a more neutral color (it will make the space feel bigger and cleaner). Also, purging. My mom is a packrat and when I lived with her, I was too. It will be very difficult to start but once you have space in your life you will feel so much better.

I also agree with raising the bed and using under the bed storage for infrequently used items. I'm not sure what your budget is, but could you buy or build some bookshelves that are custom fitted to the space? (After you purge some books and cds, you will have plenty of room!) I usually sell my books and cds to used book stores, otherwise you can donate them to a library.

It also looks like you could put some storage on the desk, if that is not a slanted wall. Nothing too heavy, but it would give you more space to get organized. I'm thinking like a hutch? (not sure if that's what it's called.) Also, is the wall behind where your computer is open? (looks like an odd corner space) You could move a book shelf there too.

I also agree with others about "zoning" the room for different activities. Would your chair fit in the "dreadful corner?" That might be a nice reading/ studying/ grading papers nook.

I know it seems overwhelming but you can do it! It sucks to feel unhappy in your own space; I have been there too. Let us know how it turns out and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomico
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010 12:35:00 PM »

That corner nook that is triangular in shape could easily be converted to a useful area by adding shelves but you will have to make them yourself or with your dad's help. You will need wall "L" brackets (Ikea had some reasonably priced ones)  and 1"x10" or 12" (Sorry not aware of the equivelent metric) and you could then make a desk underneath with either plywood or countertop. The different shelves obviously will be different sizes and you may have to angle the circular saw to get the pitch of the slanted wall but that can be marked on the board itself when you decide on where you will place them.

I think you should talk to your mom about resonable proprtions of the house being divided up and shared a bit more. I cannot see why the space your Dad had suggested revamping was vetoed. Maybe she is actually subconciously trying to get everyone to move out by crowding them into smaller spaces. Do you help to pay some of the expences? If so remind her that you are older and are having difficulty squeezing your taller self into the childhood space. And that you have shown adult resposibilities so how about adult respect. Though that may not help if she treats your dad the same.

Good luck

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010 06:49:59 AM »

Lots of good ideas already, just have one about the old things you can't bear to throw away (memories, gifts) but don't use and regret the space for.

Why not take photos of them? You could make a "memory lane" file for your computer that you can "stroll" through whenever you want to. Those CDs would make nice additions to it. You don't listen to them any more, so they're just really memory touchstones, right? Photograph them and then give them to your local charity shop (and help your favorite cause while clearing your room)!!

It's worked for us. REally all that's wanted is the opportunity to remember. A digital photograph does that just as well as the real object but takes less space and never requires dusting!

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Bodkins
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010 09:18:27 PM »

Firstly, my sympathies!

As someone else suggested, those CDs really would work so much better as mp3s, and then you could get rid of the stereo too - just use your computer to play music.  Or replace it with an Ipod and get one of those tiny speaker sets to go with it.  I am all for scanning papers too - I used to be a teacher, and I have boxes of resources that I can't get rid of - a future project for me is to scan everything  and make several backup copies.   It would be a great habit to get into now, at the beginning of your career - I have so many boxes to get though -- it would be so much easier if I had done it along the way!!

A few ideas:

The shame corner might work as a bookshelf or closet?

Could you rearrange the furniture in the room?  Shifting things around might give you a little more space.

I would definately paint those walls a solid, cool colour, to make the space look bigger.  A similar idea to make the space look less cluttered, but without really changing much would be to put doors on your shelving.  All the different book spines and photos etc are too close to appreciate in such a small space, and just contribute to the closed in feel.  

If you really love those pictures you have up there, maybe you could use scans of them as your backgrounds on your computer desktop, or get a plain photo frame and change the picture every month?  Just get it big enough to fit the largest one, and make the others fit by placing sheets of card or paper behind them.  

Also, how about changing your computer to a lap top? Then you could store it in a hanging messenger bag, and maybe get a smaller desk, or at least have more room on your current desk.  Maybe then you could get some document trays or the hutch someone already mentioned.  

Under-bed storage would be great for you.  If your dad is handy, maybe he could make you a new bed or desk.  This desk would be fantastic for a small space:

The free plans are here: http://ana-white.com/2010/02/plans-bedford-secretary-top-insipred-by.html
There are great bed ideas there too: http://ana-white.com/category/plans/plancollections/storage-bed-collection

How about some hanging shelving - like those old fashioned kitchen pot hangers that are on a pulley?  If you had a rectangular one you could screw heavy duty cardboard boxes to the top of the rack and store stuff you don't use too often up there.  A round one could be used to hang things from.  

Do you have access to the attic?  I think your real problem here is that you are trying to fit an adult life into one small room.  We have so much more in our lives when we are adults - your Mum really should recognise this, and be less greedy with 'her' space.  Could you negotiate to take over part of the attic?

I am currently going through a de-cluttering process myself, and it is *so* hard at the beginning, but once you get into it, it really does get easier. I have a hard time throwing anything out, so I donate everything I can.   I would start by getting rid of everything you don't currently use or need - think how much fun another kid could have with that jigsaw you love?  

Best of luck!  Tell us how it turns out!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010 09:27:00 PM by Bodkins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held it's ground

Visit the worlds most boring blog - it's all about being fat and disorganised!  http://fledglings-hollow.blogspot.com/
ChrisSews
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010 01:19:07 AM »

I feel for you...you have a small, odd shaped space.  I think there are several things you can do to help.  You've gotten some good ideas.  Sometimes it's hard to know where to start so I would suggest concentrating on one area at a time and once that is done move on the the next.  Some things will be small projects others big and you can pick which ones to do as time and money allow.

First purge...

1) Get rid of the stuff you don't use anymore.  You mentioned the bean bag chair, old nintendo games, CDs you don't like anymore.  Find a charity shop and donate it all.  That way someone else can use the items and you're not wasting/throwing them away.

2) Get rid of everything you're keeping that you're not using right now but still have because you might want to use it sometime.  Like that drawer full of old binders.  Binders aren't that expensive so if you have to buy some more in the future wouldn't it be worth spending the few dollars someday to have more space now?  Again give them to a charity or maybe donate them to the school you teach at. 

3) Try to get rid of all the things in your room that are not yours.  You don't even have space for your own things is it really fair for you to store your fathers things too?  Is there any way you can box up his book and store them elsewhere (maybe in the garage or other part of the attic)?  If they can't be taken out of your room I'd still box them up.  I'd put them under the bed since you don't need to access them and they'll be out of the way and out of sight under there.  And those comic books.  I know you mentioned some are yours but not all.  Can you pair down the collection?  Only keeping the ones you like the best?  Or if some belong to your brother/sister box up the ones that are theirs and put them in their rooms.  Let them figure out what to do with them.

4) Get rid of those CDs.  As other have said turn them into MP3's on your computer.  If you absolutely can't/don't want to do that at least get them out of the cases and into some storage.  These boxes are nice and look good but http://www.amazon.com/Discgear-Selector-Auto-Retrieval-System/dp/B0015A70O8 but binder style CD wallets work well too. 

5) Digitize as much of your papers as you can.  If you have papers from uni, teacher resources, references, etc that you still need try to scan as much as you can onto the computer.  Be realistic about what you really need to keep.  I kept almost all my textbooks from uni and moved them around with me for years.  I finally got rid of all but a few when I realized I hadn't actually used them at all since school.  Also so much reference material is available now on the internet.  Do you really need to book or is it something you can easily look up online? 

Next to clean and organize.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
ChrisSews
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010 03:06:10 AM »

Now that you've gotten rid of some stuff you can start to think about using your space wisely.  

That "horrible" corner has potential to be a really nice space.  I'd either make it a craft nook or a reading space.
- Craft nook:  If at all possible the built in shelves others suggested would be great.  Make one large/wide enough for a work surface and then smaller ones above for storage.  Here are some ideas...
http://vi.sualize.us/view/06cd72f716a9558e7419962477bc52a4/
http://www.home-designing.com/2008/09/ideas-for-that-space-under-the-stairs
http://www.cambridgehomesandinteriors.co.uk/open-plan-library-extension/office-under-stairs
It looks like the wall where the comic book shelf is now if straight so if the other walls are too difficult you could still put shelves on that wall.  Another idea to put a craft armoire where the bookshelf is now.  That way everything will be hidden behind closed door and you can have some space that pulls out for a work surface.  Something like this is nice http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=473.  Or the one Bodkins posted could be used as a craft space.  The site Ana White site she linked is great.  There are all kinds of great plans there and if you can use some of your father's woodworking tools you can easily make them yourself.  Or even better if you father can help.

- The reading nook option:  I'd clean out everything from this nook and put your chair in there.  Maybe get a very small corner table and use it to keep library books (so they don't get lost).  Maybe clean up that small table the stereo is on and move it into the reading nook.

-Clothing closet: Move your clothes stand thing into this nook to get it out of the middle of your room.  Maybe put a small dresser where the comic book shelf is now.  Or even better how about something like this http://www.wereorganized.net/closets/size.html You should be able to find something like that or even build your own.  Having the side would help hide the hanging clothes from the room and make it look neater.  If you can't manage the enclosed system some shelves with a rod like these could work http://www.closetmaster.net/showcase.html. Then you could have a rod to hang clothes and some drawers for folded clothes below.  Maybe this would even let you get rid of that small clothing thing.  The other side of this nook could still have some boxes or small organizer shelves.  

The bookshelf
once you've gotten your fathers books off here you should have a lot of space for you.  Keep just the most important books to you.  Get some organizer boxes or baskets in a nice color pattern.  Mix a shelf of books followed by one or organizers.  Having something that matches will make the room look more grown up.  Use the boxes to organize and store all the random stuff you have around.  

The desk corner
It sounds like you could really use a new desk if the one you have is breaking and not functioning well for you.  Can you afford a new one?  Maybe something smaller.  Like a separate desk and cabinet maybe the Ikea ASPVIK  http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50146689 A low cabinet like that would let you still have the extra counter top space/work space,fit with the sloping wall, and give you some more covered storage.  It'd look a lot better than the boxes and piles of stuff you have under the desk now.  

Here's some different ideas....

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010 03:07:35 AM by ChrisSews » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
Radmom
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010 05:34:00 AM »

I noticed that you keep your bed in the same spot. Is there a reason for that? Also where is the entryway to your room, I was kind of lost on that...I know in that  there is some rule about the beds not facing the door. Which is pretty much impossible in my bedroom. its filled with doors. LOL. I personally loved the staircase with all the books.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BCJen
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010 03:11:00 PM »

I feel for you! Organizing overwhelms me and I have more space than you have to work with. I can relate to the slanted walls though, because I have a loft-style bedroom.

1. Slanted walls/nook: A clothing bar is what I was thinking too. You can get rods that stretch to whatever lengths and I think there are fittings for slanted walls. If not that, then put shelves againt the back/slanted wall with brackets. I've done it successfully, and it's not too much work.

2. CD's onto computer, then you could use the CD shelf for the comic books.

3. You can actually buy bed legs that twist into a bed frame. And then you could store stuff under there, like the blankets, etc.

4. If you really can't part with some things, like the puzzles, maybe put them together and then coat them with a lacquer and hang them.

5. Paint. Decorate with colors you love.

6. Over the door hanger for toiletries, meds, etc.

Good luck girl, you are not alone!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mrs. Awesome_Pants

Creative minds are rarely tidy.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011 01:00:10 PM »

I whole-heartedly agree with some previously-mentioned solutions. 

1.  PURGE!  I am a terrible hoarder, too, especially of sentimental things.  Digitize photos or take the best ones and combine them into a scrapbook that takes up less space (and it's crafty, too).  Turn your CDs into MP3s and donate/sell them.  Go through your clothes and do the same for anything that doesn't fit anymore or that you don't wear.  It's hard to start purging at first, but once you start, you can get pretty ruthless.  Find creative ways that take up less space to keep stuff you can't toss -- maybe putting a puzzle or two together on your desk under a sheet of glass?  Commemorative and decorative Smiley

2.  Put your bed on risers and buy/make shelves under it for books, clothes, whatever.  If possible, you could even make a small built-in shelf out of a headboard or foot board.

3.  Over the door organizers are AMAZING for keeping track of little things like hair stuff, toiletries, craft bits, etc. and you can make one to use up fabric and stuff you have lying around.

4.  Find a home for your papers.  If you can't scan them, get a portable file folder, or organizer them in the binders you have already.  As a writer, I know how quickly the papers pile up.  Go through them and see if you *really* need them, or if there are ways to downsize.  For instance, I had notes for one writing project scattered everywhere on separate bits of paper and stuff, so I finally went through them and copied the info into a spiral notebook.  Less space, and less chance of losing something important.  I also was bad about collecting brochures, business cards, stuff like that.  I tossed all mine, but you could also put the info into computer files or something.

5.  One idea is to take everything -- down to the furniture -- out of your room and then move it all back in, starting with what you consider most important.  Rearrange if necessary and be critical with stuff.  When your room gets filled up to a limit you can stand, stop and think hard about what's left.  Can it be tossed/sold/donated?  Can you find a creative way to keep it around?

Also, one last idea -- is it possible to move your shelf against the space where you have the sheet?  It might free up space and provide a better draft blocker to keep you warm Smiley

Just my ideas.  Hope your efforts pay off!

Tandra
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Hong Yi Explains Her Flower Portraits
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Repurposing Cans Into Ribbon Covered Vases
How to Make Recycled Bows
Creating Hanging Votive Candles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...