A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Got some ideas for a strange bedroom? At wit's end! *lots of pics*  (Read 4507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilibet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 16, 2010 03:57:45 AM »

I'm almost 24, still living with my parents, and so far no plans of moving out. It's way too expensive in Belgium to buy/hire a place for just one person, and I still haven't got a decent job. Plus, we have a great relationship, we love to be together, so no problems there.

On the other hand, it is getting difficult. My mum and I get along, but we have our moments. She goes berserk over stuff in het living that is not hers. Yep, even my dad's stuff isn't allowed there. To avoid endless discussions, and stuff missing (mum even throws it out) I end up taking everything that belongs to me to my bedroom. This has been going on for your years, to the point where I actually don't feel at home in the living room anymore, because all my stuff is so quickly removed. Agreed, I get to keep some things there, and I am slightly messy, but still...
For years, I have been fighting the mess in my (rather small) room, but I'm at wit's end now. I have even made some pictures, because I am beyond the point of shame, I just want help. I have literally everything up here:
My jigsaws from when I was little, that I wanted to keep, but that HAD to move upstairs to be saved.
Tons of books, half of the collection technically not mine...
Small amounts of food (don't like that, but had to).
Dance stuff (Irish dancer). It isn't much, but heck!
Personal clothing (drawer is overflowing).
Tons of university stuff (that I have to keep close, because I'm a teacher myself now).
Crafting stuff (and I want to do so much what that stuff)

I understand that this stuff is mine, and that I have a bedroom. I don't really blame mum, but too much is too much. Everything downstairs is mum's. Dad once emptied some shelfs in the garage, for each child, but mum just threw everything in there, and now it's a complete mess too. Mum also is the only one with a desk downstairs (dad had a brilliant idea for a crazy shaped desk, with room for them both, as he is a teacher too, but mum said no), and only her stuff belongs there. Dad wants to change the garagde into a crafting room for as all, but he isn't allowed... Dad works with wood, brother is a table top gamer, I want to learn how to sew and my sister loves to paint all sorts of stuff. *sigh*

Part of my problem is the shape of my bedroom. Really, it's the shape of the house, but I got the worst part :p. We live in a pyramid. Yep, we really do. Want to see?

This is our house. Guess where my bedroom is... Right up there, in the top part! Technically the attic too...

Don't get me wrong, I love my house, and my bedroom, but the shape of it... Well, let me tell you, it's not ideal. Our house is big! Grond floor of 11m2, first floor with four rooms, and an attic plus my room (it's one room, dad made a wall, but yeah). The walls are not extremely steep. I mean, we don't walk crook all the time :p. But's it is problematic in my room. I have one, artificial, vertical wall in my room, which is used up completely by a bookcase unit. That unit is filled with books that belong to my dad... Youth books, but still, his books. I don't blame him, at all, because he too was a 'victim' of mum. But it sure limites my space, let me tell you. Want to see that too? I have no shame, so there I go!

As you can see, I have two rows of books on the shelfs. I cannot take a front shot of the unit, because the room is too small, but if I could, you would see that she shelfs are actually bending. Ever so slightly, but bending! The books in front are really mine. The shelf where you can see Miffy, is one row that also belongs to me (kicked some books out) and the right upper shelf are mine too. That shelf was empty when I started, ten years ago, but you see... I love books, and I cannot help but buy them. I really don't want to be held back by my room, but that trully happens. I go to the library too, and I cannot even store the books that I pick up there. I end up throwing them somewhere and they get lost (oh, the bills).

This is a side shot from the bookunit, and a view of my bed. The cd unit is a new addition, one I begged for. I only have one for this one Benno (Ikea anyone? :p), and it's almost full. The rocking chair was a birthday gift three years ago, because I wanted it so badly, but it is always covered up. If I want to use if, I have to throw everything on the bed, and change afterwards... *shiver* I feel so icky now... The strange wooden thing you see, with the blue/greenish bag on, is my personal clothing space. One day, mum decided that I had to many clothes and I have to throw a lot of stuff out. The stuff on the wooden thing is mostly fantasy dressing, or historical. No room in the closet, until I clean it out. But when I do, she is pissed because I throw perfectly good stuff out... Oh, I love it... The three drawers that you see are to no use. Imagine a A4 paper, regular size. They don't fit, unless you turn them sideways. That's a lot of room in that drawer lost... So I use the upper one for photographs (I really want to fit them in a book, but that's another extra book!), the middle one for clothing and blankies (corset, satin gloves, shawl,...) and the lower one for... junk... Old binders really, that I cannot throw about, because they are still okay. *aaaargh!*
You know, my younger brother used to dump his stuff in my sister's room, until she would get rid of it. I never did it, but I so regret it now!

End of the bed... I have no heating, so I use this electric thing. Awful, let me tell you. Under the stereo, craft storage! These pictures are a bit old, but I recently bought a plastic boc for all the yarn. Overflowing now, alas... The wooden shelfs are from Ikea, but although I love them, I cannot seem to use it. One drawer holds future embroidery projects. One for patterns then? And what about the small ones? I never learned how to organise myself, although if angered my parents that I was so messy, so it's hard to change an old habit. When I made this picture, I had some room for candles, you see. That's gone too... *really wants to cry now*
The plastic bags shattered on the ground hold other projects, or just stuff that I cannot store away. Fun!

The desk... What you see in that picture is a clean desk, for me! It's horrendous now... I can't keep a clean surface clean, for whatever reason. As you can see, I have several stuff to store papers. But I cannot use them... I have a collection of some magazines, and they are so heavy that they even broke one of the plastic shelfs, making them bend. I do have a new computer now, desktop, so less space for my legs, but it doesn't change anything. Oh yes, it does, I get to hide some stuff behind the screen...
Literally everything is on that desk. Uni stuff, craft stuff, handkerchiefs, yarn, books, stuffed animals, dvds, you name it, it's there... My clutter is an organised mess, but it is a mess nonetheless. The drawers in the desk, same f*cking story. Too small for everything, and falling apart. One drawer is currently closed, yet open, because the front came off... I don't even use the drawers on a daily basis. Because they are small, and because they are filled with stuff from my past. Oh, I threw away tons when I moved here, but still... After all, there is always stuff you want to keep, but cannot store, yes? *please, yes?* I use every horizontal surface for storage, because I just don't know where to put it anymore... *brother has to drawers UNDER the bed, very jealous of that*

'Door' to the attic. I used on old sheet, because cold came from that room into my carefully heated room. It looks insane... Door is made out of cardboard, yay. Here you can also see that the cd unit is pretty full now, because I keep old cds that I don't listen too, but what to do with old cds?!

The dreadful corner... *crawls away in shame*
This is one unuseful corner of my room. The book unit there is filled with comics. Huge fans, we. I don't mind having them there, because part of the collection is indeed mine. But the unit makes the corner too small to actually use. When I first started here, that corner held an old tv, for the Nintendo and Sega (old school!). That tv is gone, game units are still there (where would we put them, it's an attic, no? *shakes head*). Blue boxes hold uni stuff I actually had three of those, filled to the top, but I managed to reduce it to two. One is in the garden shed, filled with books. The bean bag is gone from my room, not yet from the house. The black cabinet is my altar (I'm a witch). I don't use it that often *oh, the shame and the guilt* because of the mess in front of the cabinet. Plus, my messy room doesn't really inspire me anymore. I want to write a proper book, but I hate it here (sometimes). I already use an extra shoe box for pagan stuff, because the cabinet holds my pagan books. Plus clothes (oh yeah), incense, candles, you name it...
On top of the book uni, you can see my main reason for anger. All stuff that I HAD to bring upstairs, while mum fully well knew that I didn't have the room for that... A microscope and a Make Your Own Mosaic Set. Gifts that I never used (ungrateful, you know the deal) and that I thus had to take with me. I have quite a collection of holders for waxine lights, but no room, so they gather dust up the unit.

I'm ranting, I know that very well, and I wonder if anyone will ever get through all these amounts of text. But, really, I'll say it again, I'm lost and to the point where my room depresses me. I love to be here, because it's MY personal space, but it's too much. Every few months, I get the heebies, and I clean like crazy, but it is never really clean. I keep hiding stuff, putting is somewhere where I know that it will be a bother. But because of the lack of space, that's all I can do.

So, here's the deal... Inspire me! The main problem in my room are the walls. I cannot just bang some shelfs against the walls, because the are not straight! I was wondering if some of you are so creative to find me a solution... I'm willing to throw a lot out, but there is a lot I want to  keep. Yesterday I made a not with stuff that need (that I would love to have): storage for important papers (I'm about to start working life, so I need something), a crafting box, a box for junk, a small box for medication. But then I realised that more boxes won't help me, because I cannot even store the boxes... Maybe I just wanted to whine, and you don't know what to do... Oh well, I had my say, I'm just curious if there's anyone willing to play Clean House with me :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010 04:33:39 AM »

Hi!
I know you dont want/cant afford to move out but have you considered shared accomadation?
It can be great fun to have your own place, I mean really great fun!
Ok if that is really not an option, I would have a clean out of anything that does not suit your current lifestyle, regardless of wether it was a gift or not.
Your 24 soon , lets get your room to reflect that.
If you want to hang on to some things for sentimental sake, get a large trunk with a lock, and store everything in that, in the garage.
Personally I would paint the entire space white, or a similar pale colour.
Your furnature is all pale so it would make the space look bigger.
That corner of shame, I would clean out for your wiccan items, that seems like a nice niche type space.
Could you build your bed up higher and make slidy drawers to go underneath?
Or buy a bed like your brothers?
Dont know if thats any help, but good luck what ever you choose to do!
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010 07:43:05 AM »

I understand how you're feeling - I'm not in the same situation, but I am a terrible hoarder. I think you just have to get really stern with yourself and decide what you really want in your room - and maybe take out anything that isn't yours. I understand that your mum doesn't like a mess, but it seems a bit unfair that she won't let your dad convert the garage - maybe you all need to get together and impress on her that you all really need to do this?

I don't really know what you can do for storage on the sloping walls, maybe you could fix hooks on the walls that you could hang bags from? Not much good for paper, but might be useful for soft things?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

margiej
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010 07:16:21 PM »

I've been giving this some thought today, and I think you have some options.  Raise the bed on Risers and use either drawers or boxes that slide under it for storage.  If you dad would make you a platform for your bed that would help a lot, or just raise it up with bricks, blocks, buckets, whatever.  You can use a storage bag on the door, either one of the clear plastic ones or make a fabric one like a shoe storage bag.  What about using the outside of the door also?  Do you reach your room by a stairway?  What sort of storage could you put up in that area?  Shelves, or wall organizer bags, etc might work.  Do you have access to the type of plastic storage bags that you pull the air out with a vacuum?  They are useful for storing out of season clothing and bedding, etc. I don't know if they are available in your country, but you can order them online I'm sure.  Of course, the obvious solution is to purge a lot of things, but I know sometimes we feel like we have given up all we can, and are not willing to part with more.  You also can hang things from your ceiling, although the angle problem is difficult I'm sure, and dangling things can be distracting. Perhaps you can transfer some of your school papers etc onto computer disc to save space.   Good luck with it.  Please let us know how you are changing things.  I wish postage wasn't so high, or I'd make you some organizer bags and send them.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010 01:04:28 AM »

I know this is a child's room, but this might be an idea for storage on walls/doors: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=356821.msg4178765#msg4178765
THIS ROCKS   Logged

querencia
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010 01:11:25 PM »

you could rip the cds to mp3s and not have the cds around...

scan papers that you don't need hard copies of...

new bed/put existing bed on risers to have storage space underneath...

it might help to try and set up zones for different activities.. study/work  crafting music clothing/costumes.. because it looks like right now everything is allll spread out and chaotic.. if you sort it by type/activity you might at least be able to get a better idea of what you have too much of or what kind of storage you need for it.. and to let you tackle it area by area rather than being overwhelmed with a single small room that needs to contain your entire life. the thought overwhelms ME Smiley  hope you find something that works for you though because it's hard to be unhappy and stressed with your environment.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
abbytail

shes possesed, and she gets the hiccups.......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010 12:32:46 PM »

Uh, Not a really crafty solution, but you can rent a storage box for a great rate at one of those big storage depots. You could store all your and your dad's childhood memorabilia in a small one. My boyfriend and I rent a small one(1,5 m2) here in Amsterdam, and even here it's affordable. The storages are cheaper in less prime areas.
And even though the floor space in ours is tiny (1,5 m2) our storage is 4 m high! lot's of space for boxes, boxes and boxes. We've go 20 moving boxes in there allready and space for more. You could even convince your siblings or dad to split the costs and your mum could not get to the stuff in a pruging frenzy!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm never having kids, I hear they take 9 months to download
Riechan
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010 11:13:54 AM »

hmm tough one ... and that shape isn't working either...
You can take boxes, lay them on their side and attach a rope to hang them from your walls, than you have shelves Smiley
Higher your bed so you can put things under (I have no idea how but I think the previous comments will help)
I'd use your door as an organizer too, there are some lovely organizer items on craftster like this one: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=65121.0

(from a fellow Belgian Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
MissLegend
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010 12:44:37 AM »

So adorable!!!! You got one pretty model for all of your future creations for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissJessica
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010 07:13:17 AM »

You have a lot of limitations, but a lot of potential too. I agree with what others have said about painting the walls a more neutral color (it will make the space feel bigger and cleaner). Also, purging. My mom is a packrat and when I lived with her, I was too. It will be very difficult to start but once you have space in your life you will feel so much better.

I also agree with raising the bed and using under the bed storage for infrequently used items. I'm not sure what your budget is, but could you buy or build some bookshelves that are custom fitted to the space? (After you purge some books and cds, you will have plenty of room!) I usually sell my books and cds to used book stores, otherwise you can donate them to a library.

It also looks like you could put some storage on the desk, if that is not a slanted wall. Nothing too heavy, but it would give you more space to get organized. I'm thinking like a hutch? (not sure if that's what it's called.) Also, is the wall behind where your computer is open? (looks like an odd corner space) You could move a book shelf there too.

I also agree with others about "zoning" the room for different activities. Would your chair fit in the "dreadful corner?" That might be a nice reading/ studying/ grading papers nook.

I know it seems overwhelming but you can do it! It sucks to feel unhappy in your own space; I have been there too. Let us know how it turns out and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Owl Costume For Halloween
How to Make a Baby Shower Hanging Flower Decoration
How to Make a Baby Shower Bottle Themed Place Card
How to Make a Baby Shower Candy Tin
How to Make a Baby Shower Flower Seed Packet
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...