A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: renegade sewing bandolier... just call me Rainbo  (Read 5146 times)
Tags for this thread: burning_man , bandolier , sewing_kit , rainbow , portable , thread , belt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

adventure on the sewin' seas

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 15, 2010 06:47:54 PM »

Iíve been sewing for Burning Man for almost a year. Iíve improved last yearís costumes, made plenty of new ones, and have been making wonderful things to gift on the playa. I wanted to continue this personal sewing theme at the event and share my love and skills with Burners in need, and so I made this renegade mending bandolier.*

Just call me Rainbo.

I love the idea of taking something that is normally made out of animal hide to hold bullets to kill humans and completely changing it around. Instead of bullets Iím packing thread and safety pins! My bandoleer* is for helping people by mending their costumes for free. Itís rainbow and beautiful but also completely functional. Admittedly, it was largely inspired by the Mad Hatterís thread bandoleer, but I feel like Iíve made it my own.

I bought rainbow webbing at Joannís, as well as the spools of thread and the plastic vials at the top. Everything else was taken from my stash. The belt is adjustable and attaches with an overall-style hook. On the back Iíve got a row of gold safety pins to hand out to burners in need.

The plastic vials are actually glitter containers that I emptied out (no glitter on the playa!). Iíve got pins, needles, and buttons handy, and the loops are also the right size for a Chapstick.

The spools were from a basic cheap-o sewing kit that I wound with my own thread. They are attached to the belt with some heavy gauge wire that has drops of hot glue on the cut ends to prevent them from scratching me. The wire loops arenít attached to the belt, but the tension of the wire keeps them from moving around on their own. It was important that the spools can spin when I pull thread, and I placed them on the belt so that the notches face me, to secure loose ends.

The pockets are made out of scraps from other projects. One is the perfect size for my fleur de logo stickers, while the other holds my folding scissors, tape measure, and any other little tools I might need.

In addition to walking around doing repairs in the wild, I will also set up at a table in Center Camp with a sign advertising my free repairs. For this, Iíve got another bag with larger buttons and some gold patches. I canít wait to wear and use this on the playa, and Iím really looking forward to all the people I will meet through this project.

You can see more photos and info on my website!

*Both spellings are correct! Also, I put this on the purses board since this is about transporting what you need.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010 08:52:52 PM by julibooli » THIS ROCKS   Logged

deruyter2008
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010 06:58:21 PM »

That looks fabulous!  I love how well you thought everything out.  I would love to go to burning man one year, not sure if I'll make it though.  I'm sure everyone will appreciate your stylish emergency repairs! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hippie Chica
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010 07:18:52 PM »

Great job.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010 08:13:33 PM »

This is such a cool idea Smiley Hope you have fun at burning man! i would love to check it out one of these years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010 08:36:44 PM »

What a fab idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010 10:00:36 AM »

Thanks guys! Hopefully I get plenty of opportunities to use it on the playa. You should all try to make it out there because it is completely amazing.

I actually had a great experience myself with getting a hole in my bodysuit last year. I didn't have anything to fix it on me, so I walked into a camp and asked for a safety pin (putting it in the right place involved me stripping down completely!). Not only did I get my safety pin, but the camp of vegan engineers took apart my headlamp and fixed it and gave me delicious vegan snacks. The point is that a moment of need is a great opportunity to meet someone new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDiem
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010 12:51:01 PM »

I love all the details and how you thought out each bit!  I also LOVE rainbows!  This is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Progress not perfection.

http://craftydiem.blogspot.com/
julibooli
maker extraordinaire )'(

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010 12:25:26 PM »

Thanks! It's been a vague idea in my head for months and then it all came together very suddenly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whatthepuck
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010 06:57:18 AM »

Awesome. You have no idea how much I love the chap stick holder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage Etsy ~ Blog

Portia my Little Visitor's facebook

Swaps:
Secret Santa
Little Visitor
Nov ATC 2/0/0
ceevee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010 12:36:43 PM »

You will be a defender of costume construction and a beacon to those in need of repair!  What a great idea, especially for an event like Burning Man.  I'm an East-coaster, so I can only dream of attending (for now!).  The amount of thought you put into engineering this bandoleer is amazing, and it looks good to boot!
Haah, "Rainbo".  I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Mikey Simon
How to Draw Michael Jackson
How to Draw Megi Simpson
How to Draw Megaman
How to Draw Maximus
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...