A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,168
Currently Running With Scissors:
589 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gramma And ME  (Read 1930 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 15, 2010 01:01:00 PM »

I've finished two more quilts this week.  The first is what I call my ME quilt.  It is made from Mary Engelbreit fabrics and I made it just for me!  

It is a modest sized lap quilt.

The last two pictures aren't the best but they let you see the whole thing where it is hanging on my wall.  
[/url]

The second quilt has a bit more of a story.  My grandmother was a quilter.  She made lap robes, embroidered quilts, baby quilts and wheelchair pads for everyone.  I mean EVERYONE.  She probably made thousands of stitched items over the years.  And she did it all on her treadle sewing machine.  (No, I'm not THAT old.  She had an electric machine but always used her treadled sitting in the window over-looking the barnyard.)  She and my grandfather, once he got older, would sit at the dining room table and cut up every scrap of fabric they could get their hands on.  

My grandmother passed away in the early nineties.  I eventually ended up with her boxes of squares and patches cut and ready to assemble into something.  I got them out the other day and started sorting them into colors.  My little friend MEA and her mom came over and started playing with them as well.  We ended up sorting out a collection of red, white and blue patches.  I laid them out on felt and thought about it for a few days. Eventually I remembered a tutorial using fusible interfacing to first adhere all the squares in place and then sew the seams.  (I'll update when I find the link.)

It was a comedy of errors.  I don't think my ironing board or my iron will ever recover from it.  But I did end up with this little table runner.  It is about 12 x 30 inches.

Here you can see the backing fabric and some of the really unique fabrics that range from the thirties to the nineties.  Most of them come from dresses and scarves I remember my cousins and I wearing in the seventies.  So... two quilts made by my gramma and ME!

The tutorial was on Sew Mama Sew but it was by Elizabeth of Oh, Frasson. You can find it here.   http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=1398
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010 01:17:33 PM by waggonswest - Reason: I found the link to the tutorial. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010 02:45:17 PM »

Waggons, that first quilt is absolutley stunning.  I love the second one too, of course, but those Mary Engelbreit fabrics are amazing and so lush.  And congrats on using such precious memories to make a new one!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010 05:34:09 AM »

I love the colors of the ME quilt, makes me wish fall was here with all of its gorgeous colors. The table runner is super sweet, I love crafting with my Grandmas fabrice I inherited.

Did you find it hard to work with the interfacing? I've been working on a postage stamp quilt (on and off, mostly off lately). I'm not the most precise sewer with my seams anyways so many of my rows are all wonky and I was thinking about doing the interface method.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010 05:37:50 AM by lady4feet - Reason: to add question » THIS ROCKS   Logged

waggonswest
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010 06:59:07 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your comments. 

Lady.  I would suggest you try the interfacing method.  It was a comedy of errors because 1.  I lost the directions for what I thought was fusible interfacing and 2. I ended up trying to use really old, really heavy stitch witchery fusing to fuse the fabrics to the not fusible interfacing...  I expect that having the right product and reading the instructions will make it a lot easier. 

Because the fusing material was so thick it took longer to stick than I thought so I ended up with some shifting.  Also, because I was working with fabrics that covered almost a 100 years the different content and textures complicated the fusing process.  What I ended up with is a very thick, stiff quilt.

Having said that, I found that it was really easy to do.  I kept saying to myself, if I do this right it is going to be a breeze.  I went out and bought some modern very fine fusible interfacing.  I will be trying it in the next couple days. 

It is pretty forgiving on the seams.  It ended up less wonky than I thought it would after I fused it.  My squares were not all square or even so I tried overlapping them. I won't do that again.  If I can't butt them together tightly, I will leave a teeny tiny space (which will expose my iron to even more goop from the fusing process) that will make trimming the seams easier. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://waggonswest.etsy.com
25/12,  14/13
57/50 in 2010, 53/50 in 2011, 85/50 in 2012 83/50 in 2013 link, 12/2014
4/14
meddockmommy
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010 06:02:23 PM »

I love the table runner. The story behind it is sweet Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lanysmiles
the conscience midget

it helps to smile, once in a while

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010 06:48:26 AM »

I love the table runner!
It just looks so clean and crisp! Smiley
Lol, the right fusible stuff would be more fun to work with I imagine! Smiley
I got stuff fused to my iron before- never realised it and steamed goopy stuff all over the fabric T.T I hope that didnt happen to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blue_skiesMN
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010 04:56:22 PM »

I love the Gramma quilt! How cool to have all of those fabrics in one place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Special Scents for Your Valentine
ELLE Fashion Olympics: Haute Couture Makeup Challenge
Take the Perfect Selfie Every Time!
The Best Drugstore Face Moisturizers
5 Things the Anti-Aging Industry Won’t Tell You
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...