A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: jewellery display  (Read 5167 times)
Tags for this thread: jewelry_display  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

btrsweet
« on: August 15, 2010 08:28:23 AM »

hi folks! I've been a lurker for a while now, and every time I see your new projects I think I'm craftsier than I really am. Baby steps, right? It's still a work in progress, but please share any ideas you may have for the middle section and top sections - I want to make more earring space and was wondering if there are alternatives to attaching 2 dowels, etc. I'm mostly proud of the thriftiness of this project:

kitschy shadowbox/shelf thingy from Goodwill = 4$
hardware from bits&bobs section at the hardware store at a market = 3.5$
me thinking I'm craftsy = priceless

wasn't particularly in love with these pawn-like knobs, but they were screw-in and matched the finish of the other ones. Works perfectly for something 3D on the sides:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010 01:30:55 PM by btrsweet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010 08:33:08 AM »

I love this!  Are those drawer pulls at the bottom?  I have one of these and this is a perfect use for it, since I hate just throwing perfectly okay stuff out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
mclied
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010 08:40:05 AM »

That's such a clever idea!!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RuneAriala
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010 08:44:29 AM »

Very cool.  Can we get pictures of the sides?  I'd love to see what is going on there...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010 08:54:58 AM »

if you put your dowels at the top and bottom and stretched a wire-mesh over them (the same size as the middle space) then you could hold a lot more earrings in that space that you wondered what to do with.

ETA: you might even be able to put up a wire mesh with tacks or something and not need dowels.  i think if you cut it an inch on each side bigger than the hole, then folded the edges and pushed thumbtacks through the folded edges into the wood on all sides, to make a rectangle of mesh located about in the middle of the space so there is room behind it for the earring backs so they are not hitting the wall?

i hope that makes sense.  if not, i can make pictures.

i like the conversion how it's going so far.  i have found lots of those shelf things at goodwill lately (i buy them to turn into supplies storage when i get my craft room after we move, or for keeping some things i collect, but it's genius to use them for jewellery storage!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010 08:58:08 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010 09:22:15 AM »

I'd definitely second the idea to use mesh.  It would really help fill up that middle space as well as create a ton more earring storing potential.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the_snackmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010 09:33:24 AM »

What a cool idea! You definitely inspired me to do something like this. *this rocks*!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jess!
btrsweet
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010 01:17:25 PM »

thanks for the love, guys!
The screw eyes & mismatched cabinet knobs were inspired by bluebirdheaven over at etsy -- if I had 100$, I would've happily bought their converted antique printer drawer!

I definitely think mesh is a good idea - though I stumbled upon a fellow craftster who used burlap (and someone else who used lace!) -- so I may look at alternative fabrics.

I wish I had the patience to refinish the wood (darker stain would've made the handles pop), but oh well. Maybe next time. Or when I get tired of looking at this (hopefully that won't be soon)!

@RuneAriala - I'll zip along and edit my original post with some new pictures!

@Kiki870 - I wish I had drawers that had nice knobs like these! In fact, I found these in a bits-and-bobs section of mismatched knobs from a small little hardware store nestled at a local farmer's market (if any of you are familiar with London Ontario, I went to Trail's End). 50c a piece couldn't be beat! Because everything I loved at RONA cost at least 2.50$ per knob, and I wasn't willing to spend more on the hardware than the shelf thing itself.

if I can find a nice handle with a similar finish (for not an arm and a leg), i may use that as an alternative to screw eyes for the top. It'll also give more hanging necklace space! We'll see. I'll keep you posted when I venture into finishing this piece off Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010 01:45:18 PM »

That's really cute! I especially like the mismatched knobs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftsunderground
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010 02:43:43 PM »

This is fab! I loved that you used eye hooks for the earrings. Small knobs on the bottom of each compartment would make another layer beneath the hanging earrings and would keep rings organized. Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 5 Minute Makeup Tutorial
Nail a Half-Moon Manicure with This Easy DIY Trick
How to Get Rid of Nail Stains
Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2014 - Backstage with Pat McGrath and Guido Palau
Katy Perry Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...