A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pickled Jalapenos with step by step tute! *Image heavy*  (Read 3454 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , jalapeno  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2010 07:07:06 AM »

I'm on a canning kick, so yesterday I tried a new recipe from Tasty Kitchen:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/canning/pickled-jalapeno-peppers-blue-ribbon-winner-texas-state-fair/

Hot pepper plants (at least for me) grow like weeds and cost like $5 total to get hundreds of peppers..  this whole recipe cost me something like $8 (vinegar and coriander seeds).  If you tell people you've started canning, you'll be amazed how many people try to give you Ball jars, then just buy new lids!  Anyway, here's the process:

You'll need:

About 100 peppers (my extension office said you can sub hotter or milder peppers for recipes, so I did Hungarian wax and regular Jalapeno).  Basically, a large mixing bowl full (sink for scale):

Equal parts water and vinegar (for 6 pts, I did 4 cups white 5% vinegar and 4 cups water)

6 pt jars with rings and NEW lids

Spices of your choice (again, the extension office said you could sub in spices as long as you don't mess with the percentage of vinegar).  I used a half teas. peppercorns, 4 bay leaves, and half teas. coriander seeds.

1/2 teas. of canning salt per jar

The process:

Start by scrubbing out the jars in hot soapy water in a clean kitchen (trust me, it all works better if you start with a clean space):

Next, fill your hot water bath canner and get it on High heat.  On my range it takes like an hour to come to a rolling boil, so I start it early.

While the canner heats up, add the cleaned and rinsed jars and the rings, and let them come to a boil:

Let them boil for 15 minutes.  If the water level drops enough that the jars aren't totally submerged, add water and reset the clock:

In the mean time (not pictured, sorry), simmer the jar lids in a small pan.  Also, combine all brine ingredients except the salt, and bring it to a boil in a non-reactive pan (so stainless or enamel).  After it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer.

Ok, now we're ready for peppers!  Try not to let the peppers contact your skin too much or you'll burn the crap out of yourself later Wink  I didn't wear gloves, but I probably should have hehe Smiley

Wash the peppers (even if you grow your own like I did, you still want to get the dirt off).  Slice them all in about 1/2 inch rings.  I tried 1/8 in. rings a while ago and they were too small and shriveled during canning.  The recipe recommended 1/4 inch but I got lazy and I think 1/2 inch looks rustic anyway:

You can process them whole by just putting a little slit in each pepper, but I removed the stems and sliced them.

Once the jars have boiled for 15 minutes, dump out the water, and put them on a towel on the counter.  Pack your jars REALLY full!  Otherwise when you add the brine, you'll have a weird floaty space with just brine in it:

Add 1/2 teas. of salt on top of each jar and dump in the brine.  You want to fill the jars so that there's about a 1/2 inch of space at the top.  so basically fill them until the contents of each jar is level with the threads on the top of the jars.  Run a knife or a chopstick around the inside of the jars just to check for air bubbles and add more brine and peppers to the jar if you need to.

Use a clean wash cloth to wipe off the thread and top of the jar, put on the lids, and screw on the rings to finger tight (which means you can use your fingers to tighten it, not the palm of your hand).

When the canner comes back up to crazy hot rolling boil, put all the jars in the canner, and set the clock for 10 minutes.  If you have to add hot water or it comes below a boil, reset the clock.  They need to be boiling for ten minutes.

After ten minutes, turn off the canner and let the jars sit in the hot water for five minutes more.  After that, take them out and let them sit on the counter for 12 hours undisturbed.  And the result!

See the weird floaty space :-/  I thought I filled it way full, really pack the peppers in there.

You can see a few peppercorns floating around in there.  I tried to strain out the bay leaves, but I let the spices join the party if they wanted to Wink

Peppers left after like a billion of them:

and just for the curious, this is the actual amount of dishes from the entire process:

So not that bad really... 

Anyway, they have to cure for 6 weeks, hopefully they'll taste as good as they look!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pazuzuspetals

I look like VENUS...........of willendorf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010 11:48:58 AM »

both of your tutorials (this one and the one on tomatoes) are amazing. You've got clear instructions and awesome pictures and now I'm all inspired and ambitious to try and do some canning again. Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a hummingbird once pooped on my cat out of pure spite, I swear.
shan-E-bear

I don't DO Normal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010 07:12:10 PM »

The husband would love these! Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check me out!! I was featured on Geekcrafts.com!

50 Crafts in 2011 60!/50

I went wisting!!
savage pixie

will sew for shoes

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010 08:57:53 AM »

My husband and I were just talking last night about what to pickle next. (We did pickles last weekend.)
And this looks perfect - I love jalapenos.

Thank you so much for sharing - I'm off to the farmers market!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

my wist http://wists.com/savagepixie
SewIn2Disney

Yup - My wedding Limo was the Wienermobile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010 09:27:24 AM »

So funny---I planted a jalapeno plant this year, used about 2 jalapenos and am now wondering what I'm going to do with the rest of them!  I don't have enough for 6 jars, but maybe one or two.  Problem is, many are starting to turn red now.
I may give this a shot!
Thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

txaggie02
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010 09:37:33 PM »

I'm overrun with jalapenos from our garden.  I can't wait to try this recipe.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010 08:13:38 AM »

I don't have enough for 6 jars, but maybe one or two.  Problem is, many are starting to turn red now.
I may give this a shot!
Thanks for the tute!

Actually, as long as you use 50% vinegar 50% water, it doesn't matter how many pints you make..  just make sure you have enough peppers to fill each jar really full (empty space encourages bacteria), and don't forget to add the salt to each!  I was thinking tonight I probably won't have enough to do 6 pts again, so I'm just going to use extra brine for something else later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpiffySpiny
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010 04:10:52 PM »

I'm sure my boyfriend would just love this. But before anything, I need to persuade him to grow peppers alongside the immense amount of herbs he's got growing. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gown Trends For Upcoming 2013 Award Show Season
Chic on the Cheap: How to Dress Like a Fashion Editor
Can You Wear White After Labor Day?
Nicole Richie Makes a Turtleneck Dress Look Sexy
Top Sweater Styles For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...