A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewel Case Wall with Tutorial  (Read 54010 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , interior_decorating , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jillinebinny

Families are Forever

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2009 05:20:16 PM »

I think this is a WONDERFUL idea Smiley  I saw this a while back but never thought i'd do it myself.  Well i just saw it again and really wanted to do it.  So i put a shout out to all my friends/family that i was looking for cd cases (my husband has over 300 but he wants to keep the cds in their cases...grrr!).
Well my cousin's wife called me last week and said a lady on freecycle was giving away like 300 cases!  WOW!! And this was only like 3 days after i asked!  So she went and picked them up and they are sitting in her living room.  She's coming down the end of may/begining of june and i can't wait to get them!

In our new apartment i can't think of anything that needs to be divided so i think i'm just going to hang them in front of the wall to add some color (we live in an apartment, no painting).  I think i'm going to pick out some colors that go well together (like brown, teal and such) and paint 9X9 squares in a pattern.  I think it will look great!  I'll try to post pictures when i'm done Smiley  THANK YOU for the wonderful idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BattleAxe
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2009 06:41:44 PM »

Awesome idea!  Looks great!

I didn't read all 9 pages... but for your glue issue, did you try crazy glue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roccstarr75
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2009 01:11:47 AM »

Thanks guys for all your sweet comments.
Honorhappy - it does move a little because it is strung up by wires, but it doesn't flow easily because it is so stiff.

Unfortunately I had a wee little accident. For people who attempt to make this it is worth the time to wire each of the cases together. One of the cases at the glue line broke and the whole thing started to fall. Not all is lost though. I am going to attempt to wire it and maybe even put a layer of contact paper or tape (if I can find pretty enough tape) on the back to reinforce it. I'll keep you updated on the progress, but until my term is over at school I will have to put it on hold.

Thanks again for looking.

I would suggest glueing them with TINY amounts of Gorilla Glue (just 3-4 dots on each edge) or E6000.  These glues take awhile (24 hours) to dry (really after about 7-10 you can move 'em around, the glue just isn't fully "cured"), but they are by far some of the best when glueing plastics!

Cute idea BTW!  I would like to see one done with the Stained glass paints!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2009 09:12:23 PM »

I need privacy because I share a big room with my boyfriend for our office and I also am kind of a slob (hide my mess).  Undecided

I'm a slob too. Haha.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2010 06:14:07 AM »

cooooool!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aimeesrockworks

Handcrafted Stone Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2010 04:19:05 PM »

Love it!  What a most excellent use of those leftover jewel cases.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Aimee
Smashtastically
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2010 09:10:05 AM »

So I took this tutorial and made my own with a few tweaks. Thank you OP for the great idea! I found someone with 100 CD cases on freecycle. This is smaller than the one in the tutorial because I didn't really design it to split a room- more to put some color on the wall since we can't paint (well, we can, if I paint it back to white before we move out and I feel like that's a lot of painting when we're only here for another 10 months).

all my case panels hot-glued together-

Painted, halfway-

Then I added some silver with a rag bc the color was REALLY intense-

The tree part is done!

Wiring it together...it's kind of hard to get a good picture of it.

I'm semi-obsessed with making things reversible, because I get bored but I spent a lot of time on this and I'm not going to scrap it when I want to change things up! I also read about the problems with the hot glue sometimes not holding on its own, so I found some printed tape at the craft store and used that along the edges- I might do it on each square later like a grid. Then I put pictures in it, so if I get bored I can just flip it over and have a handy dandy photo mosaic of sorts (that's me and my husband snorkeling on our honeymoon Smiley

Finished!

I'm pretty jazzed about it even though it didn't turn out perfect. I wanted to add some writing of quotes or something but my handwriting is sort of unattractive, so I might add that later. Thanks again for the tute!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010 09:14:29 AM by Smashtastically » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Audeo.
MoonlitSun
Never stop believing. Stars never do.

We all need a little magic in our lives.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2010 01:51:15 AM »

WOW! Awesome, just a small question though, where did you attach the wires? did you pierce holes in the ceiling or something? I'm thinking of doing one too....if you don't mind, but i have a high ceiling and searching for alternate ways to stick it up...if you understand what i mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a CHOCAHOLIC! Dare eat chocolate in front of me! xD
My Pinterest ^_^

Yay for personal swaps! Message me anytime ^_^
Currently looking for aida cloths! 14 or 20 count, or anything you can part with!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw The Devil - 40th Drawing
How to Draw Mr. Burns - 7th Drawing
How to Draw Krusty the Clown - 12th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - Full body - 38th Drawing
How to Draw Duffman - 21st Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...